Author Topic: Genoa cars (traveling adaption)  (Read 2682 times)

Impavidus

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria C 37
  • Boat Year: 2015
Genoa cars (traveling adaption)
« on: October 09 2016, 19:16 »
At the boat show this year I went to see the nice man (actually a very helpful lady) at Selden. I wanted to fit traveling genoa cars so I can change the headsail settings without leaving the cockpit. With everything, lines, jammers, end blocks with sheaves, it came to £750.00!!!!  I duly declined and had another look at the cars on the boat.
I did manage to get the end blocks with sheaves for £108.00 at from Martin the local rigger at Port Solent. After some jiggling I got the cars off and in to the workshop where removed the locking pins and fitted Selden blocks to them. It took some machining on the milling machine and some adaption of the blocks which had to be through bolted through after one side had been flattened off on the milling machine and the pall castings removed .
The cars will need some self-etch primer and some black paint or I may have a go at anodizing them black at home, ether way I now have the traveling cars and the end stop with sheaves  are ready to fit. Just some jammers and lines to fit. I will do a how to article in the coming weeks. 
Cost to date £158.
Hope this is of interest.
Ant.
Visit our YouTube channel here:  https://www.youtube.com/c/SVImpavidusAntCidSailing

Kibo

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Vision 46
  • Boat Year: 2014
Re: Genoa cars (traveling adaption)
« Reply #1 on: October 12 2016, 12:31 »
Thanks Ant, very interesting. I have a Vision 46 and need exactly this to change car position. Drives me nuts that this wasn't factory standard. I will be having a go at this mod later this year when I get down to her for he winter.
Ian
SV Kibo, 2014 Bavaria Vision 46