Author Topic: Countertops  (Read 3428 times)

robpepsc

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 44
  • Boat Year: 2004
Countertops
« on: September 27 2016, 23:30 »
I have a 2004 Bavaria 44 that has the original blue countertops. Does anyone know what these are made of? It doesn't look like laminate! I want to change it to something more up to date.

Maybe a laminate to go over it? Has anyone changed out there countertops to something else?

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
Re: Countertops
« Reply #1 on: September 28 2016, 09:03 »
Yes, it is a laminate. I have sourced matching material from a kitchen worktop manufacturer. You should be able to stick new laminate on top. Suggest you experiment first with the folding top before you do the main panels.

sgparkin

• Cadet
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
  • Boat Year: 2003
« Reply #2 on: May 03 2017, 11:02 »
Hi - I have a damaged blue coloured galley worktop (Bav 38 2003). Could you tell me where you were able to source matching material?

Regards - Simon

Symphony

• Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: May 04 2017, 13:58 »
I took a sample (fridge lid) to a kitchen worktop manufacturer locally who had samples of just about every laminate available. Found a good match (mine was grey rather than blue) and luck was on my side as he had just laminated a worktop with the same pattern and had enough left over to do the cooker cover I was making. Laminate comes either in fixed size panels or on continuous rolls, which is how they use it in the laminating shop.

Noelio Abrunhosa

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2005
« Reply #4 on: May 04 2017, 23:19 »
hi.
i would be interested in seeing how the top gets removed. i though of replacing it with corian Laminate. it looks and feels like granite,Abby

jo_que_se

• Swab
« Reply #5 on: September 05 2018, 14:11 »
Doeas anybody tried to drill it? is is easy?

I would like to install a soap dispenser...

Symphony

• Old Salt
« Reply #6 on: September 05 2018, 15:32 »
Easy to drill laminate top. Put a piece of masking tape over the area, Mark the centre with a sharp punch and use a wood drill with a pilot centre pin so it does not slip. Once you get it going it is easy to drill and the laminate is only about 2mm thick.