Author Topic: Spinnaker sheets, guys and boom setup on Bavaria 40-2001 or similar sizes  (Read 4110 times)

sy_Anniina

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 40
  • Boat Year: 2001
Figuring out how to start training with a bit bigger spinnaker than on my previous 31-footer 3/4-rig had... Previously I have been using sheets with barber-haulers (tweakers) and gyped the pole end-to-end.

Now reading the Bavaria manual, the suggested sheeting layout calls for similar operation: just single sheets, barber-haulers, and boom lift / downhaul arranged for end-to-end gype. However the previous owner had left Selden manual pages of dip-pole setup with sheets and guys (braces?) hanging around. Furhtermore my spi boom seems like not having the birdle needed for single downhaul split to either end of boom to faciliate end-for-end gype.

Just asking what are Your setups on B40 or similar sizes?

Having never spi-sailed this big boats makes me double-check what others have done before taking this step myself. My gut feeling tells me not to try end-to-end but start practicing dip-pole gype.

FWIW, this is family sailing - typical gype crew 3 + autopilot.

Mirror45184

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 40
  • Boat Year: 2009
Hi Anniina,
Big question! So first thing is the brace or guy (I presume that you are UK based) is just the windward "sheet", so if you think of it in these terms then it does become easier. The guy is only used on the windward side of the boat. Why have this extra line? on the 31 footer the spinnaker is a lot smaller and the loads are not as high. The spinnaker pole can therefore easily be pushed out on the sheet (which becomes the guy) when end for end gybe.
Increase size to the 40 and the loads on the pole become greater. During the gybe with sheets and braces/guy, the guy is not under any load. This enables the pole to be changed from the working guy to the new working guy. When the pole is detached from the guy during the gybe the spinnaker if flown using the sheets as you would have done previously. One feature that is needed to enable the dip pole gybe is a beak that locks open. this ensures that the old working guy will fly out of the pole clip.
So the blow by blow process is something like this.
Set up, 1 crew (bowman) at front of boat with the "lazy guy" ready to place into the pole end. 1 crew to "trip" the pole or release the working guy from the pole (this could be the bowman). 1 person to lower and raise the pole topping lift, 1 person to trim both spinnaker sheets, steering and gybe mainsail. Move the mast end of the pole up the mast to allow the pole to swing through the foredeck
Step 1; run square and trim pole back. Ease spinnaker sheet. Take up windward spinnaker sheet.
Step 2; trip the pole to release the guy from the end of the pole. The spinnaker is now flying on the two sheets, release the old guy from the winch.
Step 3; Bowman Pulls the pole into the front of the boat, and the pole topping lift is eased to allow the tip of the pole to swing through to the other side of the boat.
Step 4; the main sail can be gybed, note that the spinnaker is still being flown on both sheets.
Step 5; (can happen as main is gybed) bowman places new brace in the pole beak and calls MADE or other call to advise the pole is ready to be lifted to the working position. Once the new guy is in the beak the bowman pushes the pole out and up. The pole topper is pulled on to lift the pole to the spinnaker and the new guy is placed on the winch and trimmed on to position the pole. The windward spinnaker sheet can be eased.
Step 6 High fives!
Good luck
Mark Hutton
SV SYnergy
B40 Cruiser 2009

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
Having never spi-sailed this big boats makes me double-check what others have done before taking this step myself. My gut feeling tells me not to try end-to-end but start practicing dip-pole gype.

FWIW, this is family sailing - typical gype crew 3 + autopilot.

Your gut feeling is spot on there. It's definitely in line with what most rigging companies recommend for over 35ft boat length, due to increasing pole weight. I wouldn't feel safe end-for-ending a 3.9m long pole at the bow (diameter and tube thickness also increase proportionally, so it gets much heavier), especially if the autopilot is steering. There's potential for things to go awfully wrong in a hurry and you do not want a heavy pole not attached on either end taking swings (or stabs) at the bow crew.

With a crew of three I would leave the best helmsman at the wheel, one at the bow handling the pole (this is the easiest job, but also the most dangerous and you gotta be quick) and one in the cockpit doing the control lines. When tripping the pole, the bowman should be just on the other side of the forestay - that way if the pole comes down with a bit of force, it'll hit the forestay rather than the bowman.

Some boats with pole tracks on the mast use longer poles than fit under the forestay and use the track to haul up the mast end of the pole until the other end can pass under the forestay, then drop the mast end down again. This is so they can use a longer pole than they otherwise could. I would strongly suggest avoiding that setup and the extra hassle associated with gybing it (although the tracks are still nice for storing the pole on the mast).

The pole end fitting should be remotely openable with a trip line so you can release it from the old guy. Selden makes some nice ones :)
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

sy_Anniina

• Old Salt
Thanks for valuable input!

I'm neither UK nor US-based but from Finland where we are preparing to lift the boats before the sea freezes over :( In Finnish sheets and guys are referred as skuutit and gaijat. :)

Next spinnaker rehearsal in May

Tommi

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
Or, in regard to your spinnaker, you could use an ATN Tacker, do away with the pole, and essentially fly your spinnaker much like a headsail.  I'd paste in here the web address that would take you directly to their site, but for unknown reasons my iPad is being uncooperative today. If you search for ATN Tacker in your browser, several possibilities should show up, one or more of which have a short video showing how the tacker is used. On my B36(2002) I've flown my spinnaker single handed using the tacker, though undoubtedly an extra pair of hands makes the job easier and more safe.
The ATN Tacker is made in three sizes, and you would need the intermediate size.

sy_Anniina

• Old Salt
Thanks for the tip about ATN tacker, however I have also a gennaker / cruising chute and a bowsprit serving for quite similar setup and occasions when the crew is limited.

I kind of like the idea of spinnaker with pole - as you can pull the headsail away from the shadow created by the main.

BR,

Tommi