Author Topic: The accelerator cable  (Read 4964 times)

Vinnie45

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: 30 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2007
The accelerator cable
« on: August 19 2016, 22:52 »
On my recent voyage when I pushed the throttle I did not seem to get anymore thrust where I thought I should have. Upon leaving a mooring of course the wind blowing 30 we did not get any power to move forward or backwards. Upon being rescued from under a larger boat I was towed home . Before being put on the mooring I tried the accelerator again and I could get to the mooring on its own , with the feeling that I was not getting all the thrust that it used to give. I had a diver get the saildrive with nothing found . Question can the cable get stretched where it would react like this . Is there something to check for symptoms . I have a 2007 30 Volvo penta saildrive. Is there a cable that can be purchased and EASEly be installed . Thanks for any help

Craig

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2009
Re: The accelerator cable
« Reply #1 on: August 19 2016, 23:49 »
On the side of the engine you should see where the throttle ( accelerator) cable joins. Disconnect and move manually to see if this affects performance.

Another reason you might lack acceleration is diesel bug partly blocking your fuel supply.

Craig
"Shirley Valentine"
Gold Coast
Australia

Vinnie45

• First Mate
« Reply #2 on: August 19 2016, 23:55 »
Thanks

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #3 on: August 20 2016, 08:23 »
A question, and it's not as daft a question as you might think, but going on from Craig's posting above, did you leave your fuel valve shut ???
I've left my fuel valve shut in the past, the engine has run for hours, but with no get up and go when it was needed. Since then I've fitted a warning light that only comes on if the fuel valve is shut while there is power to the engine control panel.

Nigel

• R.I.P.
  • Old Salt
    • Dolcetto - My Boat
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 47
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #4 on: August 20 2016, 09:12 »
... did you leave your fuel valve shut? ...I've left my fuel valve shut in the past, the engine has run for hours, but with no get up and go when it was needed...
Especially if you have the standard Bavaria fuel valve; restricts fuel when open, doesn't fully shut off when closed.
Nigel Mercier: Forum Administrator

Lyra

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: B36
  • Boat Year: 2004
« Reply #5 on: August 20 2016, 13:13 »
Another thing to check - what happens if you rev up to full throttle in neutral - do you get high RPM (well above 3000)?
If you do in neutral but do not when in gear, under load, then it may be a partially blocked exhaust mixing elbow
S/Y Lyra
B36 / 2004

Vinnie45

• First Mate
« Reply #6 on: August 20 2016, 13:21 »
I have never and would not even know where the fuel shut off is . The motor itself starts and runs . Is it an easy fix to replace the cable ?

Lyra

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: B36
  • Boat Year: 2004
« Reply #7 on: August 20 2016, 13:58 »
If there is any kind of throttle response the cable itself would probably be my last suspicion. It is not something that would stretch and if broken I would expect total lack of response.
There could be a problem at the end links:
Throttle side - a problem here would also most likely result in total lack of response - but take a look - don't know how your helm pedestal looks like but on many there is an inspection port and the connection is just behind this opening.
Engine side - look at the link, have somebody move the throttle all the way and check that the lever on the engine moves all the way too. Make sure it is not loose or slipping.
If everything looks OK then as suggested before I would check both fuel supply and possible back pressure at the exhaust.

It's also a good time to look for that shutoff valve because it is prone to partial blockage - don't know this boat, but simply start looking at the tubes coming out of the fuel tank. If your fuel tank is under a bed in one of the cabins the shutoff valve is most likely on the front side of that bed.
S/Y Lyra
B36 / 2004

abouttime

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bav 40AC
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #8 on: August 20 2016, 13:59 »
I was leaving my mooring for a lift out. It was blowing about f7 and I noticed that a
I couldn't get the revs I needed to make much headway upwind to the crane. This wasn't a huge problem until I tried to do a three point turn using reverse. Although the gearbox changed, again the revs were too low and as the wind gusted up, I simply couldn't get the bows to pass through the wind. I ended up, somewhat fortunately, sideways on and pranged a steel post with my pulpit. We had to rope the boat into the lift out channel with just a few scrapes.

It turned out that the Morse control had broken. The standard Bav one has, oddly a piece that holds the lug at the end of the cable which is made of plastic and it had deformed, preventing full depression of the accelerator cable when turned. It seems a bit silly to have a chunky metal mechanism with a plastic bit at perhaps the most important point. We fitted a new one, which, irritatingly, didn't use the same holes as the former one so a bit of a pain to fit. I'd be inclined to take off the instrument panel and have a look at the control. My boat is a 2001 B40 with md22 55hp.

I'd start the engine (erm, in neutral) and pull the cable at the engine end to check it accelerates fine. If it does, then the problem might be at the control end.

Vinnie45

• First Mate
« Reply #9 on: August 20 2016, 16:52 »
Do you have a picture of this Morse piece , where is the look through. I have the standard pulpit where I can open the front piece and look at. Instruments . Should I look at tag from there ?

MarkTheBike

• Old Salt
  • 34/2001 2cab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 34
« Reply #10 on: August 20 2016, 22:24 »
...it's also a good time to look for that shutoff valve because it is prone to partial blockage - don't know this boat, but simply start looking at the tubes coming out of the fuel tank...

I've got a B34/2001 2-cabin and that doesn't have a fuel cutoff valve at all. I couldn't believe it but have checked the pipes from tank to engine and there's nothing. Bizarre.
ATB

Mark

Vinnie45

• First Mate
« Reply #11 on: August 21 2016, 01:49 »
I see a shut off in the head never used it.

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #12 on: August 21 2016, 13:53 »
...it's also a good time to look for that shutoff valve because it is prone to partial blockage - don't know this boat, but simply start looking at the tubes coming out of the fuel tank...

I've got a B34/2001 2-cabin and that doesn't have a fuel cutoff valve at all. I couldn't believe it but have checked the pipes from tank to engine and there's nothing. Bizarre.

Same with my old 37 of the same year, so don't feel bad about it!

MarkTheBike

• Old Salt
  • 34/2001 2cab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 34
« Reply #13 on: August 21 2016, 21:20 »

Same with my old 37 of the same year, so don't feel bad about it!

No, I don't feel bad at all but I have learned to sleep with one eye open !!!  ;D
ATB

Mark