Author Topic: Aft cabin leak Bavaria 38 Ocean  (Read 4856 times)

Jam

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 ocean
  • Boat Year: 2000
Aft cabin leak Bavaria 38 Ocean
« on: August 15 2016, 20:04 »
Was away on boat last week and in rained heavily practically every day for hours.  Notice some water on port side aft cabin shelf, just aft of the 2 hanging lockers....a new leak. On removing wood inside it seems to be weeping from the hull deck joint.  Before launch had a leak further up but into the hanging lockers but this was fixed by removing and resealing the cap rail at this point which seems to have done the trick but now another leak further aft, a different section of cap rail.  I am reluctant to remove another section late in the season as prefer to sail the last few weekend I have.  Boat comes out in October as usual.  Has anyone had any luck sealing from the inside or using captain trolleys leaking crack cure on the outside.  I ve had a lot of problems with leaks which is driving me nuts.  Previous boat had a bolted sealed and glassed in hull deck join with never any leaks. It's a shame as it's such a great sailing boat and otherwise fits all out needs.
Thanks
John

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
Re: Aft cabin leak Bavaria 38 Ocean
« Reply #1 on: August 15 2016, 21:44 »
It'll be another fitting on the teak toe rail. I've rebedded all my stanchions, pulpit and pushpit (incl. studs!) and all six mooring cleats and that stopped the toe rail from leaking. I've never had to remove the actual toe rail to do this and have been doing it a few at a time over the last year (because it it involves disassembling a different interior locker, or at least the rear/top covers each time).

The final two leaks were a crack in the GRP spigot for the starboard side cockpit seat drain (bit of epoxy and Cpt. Tolleys fixed that) and the infamous %$(*@( holes in the deck. For now ;-)
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

Nigel

• R.I.P.
  • Old Salt
    • Dolcetto - My Boat
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 47
« Reply #2 on: August 15 2016, 22:12 »
... I've rebedded all my stanchions, pulpit and pushpit (incl. studs!) and all six mooring cleats and that stopped the toe rail from leaking. ...
Did you do it properly; removing the deck fitting and bedding above and below, or just above? I've done both, but my main problem was wobble.
Nigel Mercier: Forum Administrator

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
« Reply #3 on: August 15 2016, 22:32 »
... I've rebedded all my stanchions, pulpit and pushpit (incl. studs!) and all six mooring cleats and that stopped the toe rail from leaking. ...
Did you do it properly; removing the deck fitting and bedding above and below, or just above? I've done both, but my main problem was wobble.

Yes, removed the whole stud (photo). The "backing plate" for them is just a washer underneath the nut, so no big surprise they wobble. I've found they wobbled more with butyl tape between stud and GRP (white ring in the hole photo, with countersunk hole in center), so on the later ones I omitted that and instead sealed only the sides and top of the stud (between stud and stanchion), which is still leak-free but less wobbly. I then put a bigger (penny) washer on the stud and that helped some more. The remaining wobble originates from the stanchion tube being slightly larger than the stud - not much to be done about that.

I've learnt to appreciate the wobble ;) Keeps visiting crew from using the things as handholds (there are plenty of better, sturdier and safer handholds inboard on the coachroof).

Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

Jam

• Able Seaman
« Reply #4 on: August 15 2016, 23:24 »
I've done pretty much the same with almost all stanchions, plus finished with filling the teak water collecting well around the stanchion with silicon really just to stop water sitting in there.  I used something else to seal the base can't remember name, polysullphide I think?..worked well.
I will have a look at any other fittings on the cap rail.....wish me luck.
Thanks again
John

Nigel

• R.I.P.
  • Old Salt
    • Dolcetto - My Boat
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 47
« Reply #5 on: August 16 2016, 08:22 »
Details of the tool I made to assist in tightening in this post.
Nigel Mercier: Forum Administrator

tckearney

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: B42
« Reply #6 on: August 17 2016, 20:35 »
I had same water leak on my B42 sounds like exactly the same spot.  The water was running down between the hull and the hanging locker and collecting in the well under the seat.  See article by Jgnmar started 06 June about "who's been drilling holes in my #*#* n boat"   My leak was exactly the same as Jgnmar found.  A hole on the deck to fit the teak decking during manufacture.  Many thanks to Jgnmar very helpful

geoff

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: 40 ocean
« Reply #7 on: August 17 2016, 22:05 »
Over the years I have had similar leaks into the rear cabin on my ocean 40. I fixed it some years ago by removing the stainless strip and the  wooden outer rubbing strip, this gives access to the hull deck joint which in my case was a bit short on sealant. I raked out the joint to a depth of about 20mm and refilled with polyurethane gloup . that has fixed it in that area but I now have a weep in the front cabin so I will do that this winter Geoff

Jam

• Able Seaman
« Reply #8 on: August 17 2016, 23:49 »
How is the rubbing strip secured, is it bolted through are just screwed
John

geoff

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: 40 ocean
« Reply #9 on: August 18 2016, 08:26 »
The rubbing strip is in sections about 2mtrs long and is secured by 60mm cs self tappers. Access to these is under the stainless steel strip. Geoff