Author Topic: Raw Water Pump on a D1-20  (Read 2336 times)

Trapeze Artist

• First Mate
    • Little Hotels
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 30 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2005
Raw Water Pump on a D1-20
« on: August 14 2016, 23:09 »
I've just spent an hour and a half removing the raw water pump in my Bav 30. What a nightmare of appalling lack of design for serviceability!

As it's not a particularly durable item, there may be a few forumites who need to remove it at some time. Let me offer a little advice to anyone trying it.

First off you need to remove the bottom step of the companionway, but you probably know that anyway because it's the easiest way of changing an impeller.

Now, as you look on the front of the engine there are four fixings securing the pump. Those at NW and SW are nuts and bolts and only meet the description of "inconvenient". AT NE and SE are two bolts with their hex head facing away from you running into a threaded hole in the pump body. One of these is "king difficult" and the other is "apparently impossible".

I began by just loosening the two nuts and bolts and then turned my attention to the other two fixings. Using the ring end of a 10mm combination spanner (a normal cranked ring spanner wouldn't get in there) I worked at the SE bolt 1/12 of a turn at a time, accessing from underneath. It took a horribly long time as there were several threads protruding beyond the pump body so it probably took about 8 full rotations of the bolt.

The key to removing the last bolt (NE) is to fully remove the two nuts and bolts first as the space where one of the bolt heads sat is th only space that allows enough room to swing the spanner. Again it's 1/12 turn at a time so reversing the the spanner at each move. You can't see what you're doing and you can barely feel it either because there is no room to get any other fingers in. Finally though, it all comes off. Phew! Now I just have to change the seals and put it all back on again.

I hope that helps someone. (Even if it only persuades them to give the job to a mechanic.)

Moodymike

• Old Salt
Re: Raw Water Pump on a D1-20
« Reply #1 on: August 17 2016, 17:22 »
Good Description of an almost impossible task.  I read somewhere that removing the engine mount makes more room. Fortunately I was able to cure my leak my just replacing the outside seal.

Trapeze Artist

• First Mate
    • Little Hotels
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 30 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2005
Re: Raw Water Pump on a D1-20
« Reply #2 on: August 17 2016, 22:29 »
I thought I might have to remove the engine mount too. But that would have required a small scissor jack under the engine to support it and I'm not sure I've got one that would go in. I certainly didn't have one with me on the boat.

Instead of removing the mount, it was the extra space created by removing the other bolt completely that made an impossible job possible.