Author Topic: Replacement silencer waterlock for TMD22P  (Read 3401 times)

blue-max

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: ocean 47
  • Boat Year: 2000
Replacement silencer waterlock for TMD22P
« on: August 08 2016, 09:25 »
My mechanic informs me that there is corrosion to one end of the VP stainless steel/ rubber silencer - He is reluctant to repair and wants replacement but VP only sell complete unit. I am thinking to replace with a  plastic type from Vetus. Anyone done this and if so  the result? Can you recall model and size of waterlock used?   

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
Re: replacement silencer waterlock for TMD22P
« Reply #1 on: August 08 2016, 09:39 »
If you put Vetus or Waterlock into the search area above, you will find several postings from members who have replaced or repaired their VP silencers, one for as little as £10, and who was delighted with the result.

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #2 on: August 08 2016, 09:57 »
The Vetus waterlock is the NLPH type. You need to check the exhaust hose diameter - think it is 50mm to order the correct one. Alternatively you could look at Halyard Marine who also do suitable water traps. The end plates on the Volvo unit can be successfully repaired separately but a replacement with the same unit is easy.

Nigel

• R.I.P.
  • Old Salt
    • Dolcetto - My Boat
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 47
« Reply #3 on: August 09 2016, 06:20 »
The Vetus waterlock is the NLPH type. You need to check the exhaust hose diameter - think it is 50mm to order the correct one...
Probably this one then http://www.vetus.com/vetus-horizontal-waterlock-muffler-type-nlph-51-mm-connections.html
Nigel Mercier: Forum Administrator

Craig

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2009
Re: Replacement silencer waterlock for TMD22P
« Reply #4 on: August 09 2016, 08:58 »
I replaced my VP silencer with the Vetus type. No problems with hose diameters, except that I needed a new hose from engine to Vetus silencer as Vetus silencer is shorter than the VP silencer.

Also, had to pack under the Vetus silencer. A bit of messing around using new fittings to attach new silencer to the timberwork.

My boat is a 2009 Bav 38. other models may not have this issue with the location of the silencer.

Craig
"Shirley Valentine"
Gold Coast
Australia

Craig

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2009
« Reply #5 on: August 09 2016, 09:03 »
Just looked at Nigel's photo.

My Vetus silencer is nothing like the photo.

Mine looks more like a Piss Pan used in hospitals with an outlet on the other side. Made of plastic. Can't remember the cost.

Craig
"Shirley Valentine"
Gold Coast
Australia

blue-max

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: ocean 47
« Reply #6 on: August 09 2016, 12:52 »
Thanks for the advice - search  only brought up my post! I only have a limited space in engine room - Nigel's solution is not suitable as its too long. Also pipe diameter about 90mm (turbo charged engine)so silencer waterlock pretty big. reluctantly I have gone for a new VP silencer due to time contraints. I'll fix up the old one and keep it as a spare in case I need it in the next 10 years!   Sorry can't attach photo - seems to be blocked