Author Topic: Bow nav light not getting power  (Read 4955 times)

jeff.sailor

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
  • Boat Year: 2005
Bow nav light not getting power
« on: June 06 2012, 04:19 »
Put a multimeter on the bow navigation light fixture and found no DC juice getting to the device.  (The stern nav light, which is on the same circuit is getting power.)  I'll be on the boat in a few days to track down the problem.  I sail a Bavaria 38, circa 2004.  Anyone know the route the wires takes as they run from the electrical panel at the nav station on the starboard side, forward and up to the bow.  Wire into the fixture itself emerges from the port side bow pulpit rail.

Thanks,

Jeff

Sweet As

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2004
Re: Bow nav light not getting power
« Reply #1 on: June 07 2012, 10:18 »
Jeff,

The wire will most likely pass inside the stainless tubing of the pulpit on the port side and through the deck into the anchor locker before passing aft through the bulkhead. If you have a join in the wire in the anchor locker - this would be worth checking out. An obvious candidate for corrosion.

Of not also is where the wire passes through the deck can be poorly sealed (as was the case on our Bav36 2004), resulting in an annoying leak.

Sweet As
Bav 36

KAOS

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: BAVARIA 38
  • Boat Year: 1999
« Reply #2 on: June 07 2012, 22:17 »
Wire routing: Through the pull pit left stantion , accross to starboard side running behind forward berth wall panel behind starboard head if u have one, behind saloon stb cupboards to panel.

Hope that helps.

jeff.sailor

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
  • Boat Year: 2005
« Reply #3 on: June 08 2012, 04:02 »
Thanks to you both.  Sailboat maintenance is new to me so knowing how the wires travel through the boat is a big help.

Jeff

Nigel

• R.I.P.
  • Old Salt
    • Dolcetto - My Boat
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 47
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #4 on: June 10 2012, 14:35 »
Jeff,

The wire will most likely pass inside the stainless tubing of the pulpit on the port side and through the deck into the anchor locker ...

Where on my boat I found a very corroded connector!
Nigel Mercier: Forum Administrator