Author Topic: Fitting Kite Block at bow  (Read 4663 times)

willfinch36

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 37
  • Boat Year: 2006
Fitting Kite Block at bow
« on: July 12 2016, 16:14 »
Ever since I have owned the boat, the kite block was bolted through the wooden seat onto the pulpit.

Unfortunately a broach snapped the seat and bent the pulpit.

What are people's thoughts on the best place to attach the block? perhaps on the bow roller?

Ideally I don't want to have to install a pole!

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
Re: Fitting Kite Block at bow
« Reply #1 on: July 12 2016, 17:35 »
Ideally I don't want to have to install a pole!

Seems you already know where the best place is, you just don't like the answer!  ;D
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

Yngmar

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 12 2016, 17:45 »
I've seen this solution on another B40O for sale (a hobby of mine is looking up sisterships for inspiration).

patprice

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Swanson 36 and Bavaria 42
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #3 on: July 13 2016, 06:56 »
Yes please...keep the posts coming, I have a similar dilemma. B42 Cruiser.

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #4 on: July 13 2016, 09:29 »
I intend having a plate made to attach to the bolt through the bow roller, but not sure whether that will put the tack far enough forward.

The proper solution is of course a Selden prodder, but expensive and probably older model boats will need reinforcement of the deck. The latest boats like my 33 have mounting points moulded in and presumably bonded in plates for the fastenings.

willfinch36

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 37
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #5 on: July 13 2016, 10:26 »
Looks like the Selden pole is the way forward.

Any thoughts on the deck needing reinforcing on my 2006 37 ? Not sure how "old" old is!

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #6 on: July 13 2016, 10:52 »
One boat I saw had a turning block shackled to the fitting at the bottom end of the forestay where it attaches to the fitting in way of the stem head. A long narrow shackle was used, and attached around the forestay to stem head fitting just below the bolt that you can see in Yngmar's photo. I don't know how successful it was, but it seemed to me to be a reasonable enough idea.

Yngmar

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 13 2016, 11:04 »
The ATN Tacker may be another option worth considering: http://www.atninc.com/atn-tacker-sailing-equipment.shtml

It's a sling that goes around the furled Genoa. Fairly hefty price for what it is though.

Salty

• Old Salt
« Reply #8 on: July 13 2016, 12:26 »
The ATN Tacker may be another option worth considering: http://www.atninc.com/atn-tacker-sailing-equipment.shtml

It's a sling that goes around the furled Genoa. Fairly hefty price for what it is though.

I agree that for what it's made of and its simplicity it does seem a bit pricey, but from experience it makes life very easy indeed, and I fly my "kite" single handed.

Ripster

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: 36 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2011
« Reply #9 on: July 13 2016, 14:17 »
I also use the Tacker and they work better than you think they will.  In future however, I do intend to try and do it properly and have the bow roller modified to provide a forward attachment point.  Having spoken to a SS fabricator, its not too difficult to modify and add to (but not cheap either!) and I can get access to the existing bolts and nuts that hold it all on via the Anchor locker. 

Salty

• Old Salt
« Reply #10 on: July 13 2016, 18:24 »
I also use the Tacker and they work better than you think they will.  In future however, I do intend to try and do it properly and have the bow roller modified to provide a forward attachment point.  Having spoken to a SS fabricator, its not too difficult to modify and add to (but not cheap either!) and I can get access to the existing bolts and nuts that hold it all on via the Anchor locker.

If you look at Yngmar's photo in Posting No. 2, you can see a largish flat and uninterrupted area of stainless steel, forming part of the bow roller assembly, and which is on the port side. You could drill vertically through it and the deck area below, and fit a bolted through eyebolt. You could then attach your turning block to the eye of the eyebolt, and you wouldn't need to pay your stainless steel fabricator anything. Just choose the area for fitting your eyebolt carefully so that you only have one hole to drill. If, as you say, you have access to the nuts that secure your bow roller in place, then by the same token you would also have access to the nut that you use to secure your eyebolt in place, but do use a large "penny" washer on the under side in order to spread the load as much as possible.
No, I haven't done that modification yet, but it's on my to do list for next winter.

alan burns

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 34
« Reply #11 on: July 16 2016, 17:17 »
I have modified my bow roller on Saloma B34 to a twin roller setup. The pole for my cruising gennecker fits on two drop pins in the second roller side plates but be warned. The existing bow roller, although it looks substantial, it is fixed to a very flimsy deck that is not capable of taking any upward forces. The only strong point at the bow that can do this is the chain plate for the forestay. I have a pole that is a short bowsprit and it has an adjustable rigging wire holding it down to a ring bolt that I fitted in the lowest bolt hole of the chain plate. I would add photographs but at present I don't seem to be able to upload them. If you would like copy contact me at alanburns1@talktalk.net

Yngmar

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: July 16 2016, 18:25 »
Another solution I've seen on a very nicely equipped Dehler that moored up here yesterday: A large eye bolt in the center of the pulpit seat, coming up from below and anchored in the bow fitting (which incorporates bow roller and chainplate, similar to my Bavaria). This is probably closest to what willfinch36 originally had, except being bolted through it wouldn't put much load on the pulpit itself. Didn't snap a picture unfortunately!