Author Topic: Exhaust hose restraining band failure  (Read 2989 times)

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
Exhaust hose restraining band failure
« on: July 05 2016, 12:34 »
A discussion on the YBW forums just reminded me of this job and I thought I'd share it as a heads up.

On my 40 Ocean, the exhaust hose runs from the engine compartment under the aft cabin beds into the transom, loops up inside the portside lazarette before exiting via through-hull there.

One day when I had just started the engine in port I stood at the portside stern corner to look over the side if the exhaust was squirting water. I noticed a thumping under my feet and opened the lazarette to investigate. There I found that the exhaust hose was swinging with every squirt of water coming through and hitting the inside corner of the lid each time. One of the mounting bands that held the hose in place had failed and the GRP edge had chafed about halfway through the now swinging hose.

I've used Silweld (basically the same as Rescue Tape) wrapped tightly around the hose and then replaced the failed steel band with a new stainless steel band.

The original bands are white painted mild steel and the one had rusted and failed at the bend just after the screw. The others looked good, but I keep a roll of Silweld and the rest of the stainless band on board.

So have a look at those bands next time you clear out the lazarette, especially the ones at the top of the loop. If they're looking rusty, replace them.
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

Lyra

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: B36
  • Boat Year: 2004
Re: Exhaust hose restraining band failure
« Reply #1 on: July 05 2016, 12:41 »
Happened to me as well (B36), however in my case the screw that secures the band to the a small plywood tab got torn from the plywood. Replaced the plywood tab with a larger and thicker one and used a longer screw.
S/Y Lyra
B36 / 2004

IslandAlchemy

• Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: July 05 2016, 13:49 »
Cable ties.

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #3 on: July 05 2016, 17:25 »
Same problem, used stainless "P" clips fitted with rubberised inserts as available on eBay to secure the exhaust hose, and like Lyra also had to replace one of the plywood mounts. It's worth taking a look at your heater exhaust while in the lazarette, as on mine the outer end of the flexible stainless exhaust hose where it connects to the hull skin fitting was corroding. Eberspacher agents offered to replace the stainless hose, and were probably having a laugh as they quoted about £200+, and VAT etc., but the hose is available on eBay at around £15 per metre.
First encountered the thumping noise under foot on my friends B37, on our way back from the Whitehaven Carnival a few years ago, and wrote about within this web site, but can't remember what it went under.