Author Topic: Rutland 914 Wind Generator Problems  (Read 4752 times)

ANTREVELL

• Able Seaman
Rutland 914 Wind Generator Problems
« on: July 04 2016, 13:52 »
Has anybody experienced problems with the new 914 wind generator. I previously had the 913 which was fine. Upgraded to the 914 because the charging rate was supposed to be better.  Did not work very well fan would get up to speed then make a loud clunk and slow down only to repeat this . Sent it back and they replaced the stator .They said it had a spun stator whatever that means . 6months on and we are now getting dry bearing noise. Wonder whether I should stop flogging a dead horse.It is still under the 3yr warranty.
I have tried a swap procedure but Rutland insist on me returning the old one.

Regards Tony

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
Re: RUTLAND 914 WIND GENERATOR PROBLEMS
« Reply #1 on: July 04 2016, 14:24 »
Hi Tony,
Yes, I bought a 914i a couple of years ago while at the London Boat Show thinking it would be the answer to ensuring my batteries were always fully charged, but it was very unreliable such that I took it off. Initially it seemed to work well, but some seven or eight months after installation one of the brushes became worn, turned somehow sideways and jammed within the turret such that new brushes and turret housing were required. Then over the winter it couldn't handle the wind speed and again the brushes and turret were damaged, the rotor windings burnt out and the charge regulator overheated, though this latter problem was not identified until later. Marlec were very good in that everything was repaired under warranty, except for my confidence in the machine. Later when the charge regulator problem referred to earlier was identified, that too was repaired under warranty, but with the system now working I decided to get rid, and go down a different route and installed a 100w solar PV panel (eBay £140 flexible panel). The wind generator and it's support were taken down and sold off, but the charge regulator was retained.
On a B36(2002) there is not much space for a solar panel to be fitted, but next winter I'm going to have a simple arch made to fit at the stern where I will place the current solar panel and another. At present 100w of solar panel just about looks after my batteries, but with not much to spare, and hence the intention of getting the second panel. With hind sight I wish I'd not bothered with the 914i.
As for the solar panel, it works brilliantly, no stress at all on whether the wind is going to be too strong, it's a bit like the Ronseal advert in that it just gets on does what it is designed to do, and without any fuss.

ANTREVELL

• Able Seaman
« Reply #2 on: July 04 2016, 19:36 »
Hi Salty

That makes very interesting reading. I had a 50w flexi panel mounted in front of the spray hood . Last winter I purchased a 100watt folding solar panel and mounted it on the spray hood . Sewing a strip of material incorporating Velcro so it made a picture frame for the panel I glued velcro round the edge of the panel so the strip folds over the panel and holds the panel in place .The benefit is I can still fold the hood down when required . This might save you having an arch made. The solar panels works very well so I might like you get the 914 repaired under warranty again and then get rid of it. I was assured the 914 is structurally the same as the 913 . But I never in many years had any problems with the 913.
Thank you for comments

Regards Tony  Pegatha

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #3 on: July 04 2016, 20:19 »
Thanks Tony. I too had thought of mounting the solar panel on top of the spray hood, but was concerned that it might result in the spray hood getting chafed, so I'd be interested to see any photos you may have showing how you fixed the panel in place. Initially I glued some of the original packing foam to the back of the panel and temporarily mounted it forward of the mast. It worked well there, except I had to bring it in whenever sailing. Since then I've moved my liferaft from on top of the hatch garage and attached it to the port side pushpit rail, and the solar panel now sits on the hatch garage, but it gets shaded by the boom which means that the amount generated is reduced.
As for the wind generator, I sold it for about half of what it cost, and I'm glad to be rid of it. Marlec sell a more expensive model now which I think has a mechanism that shuts it down if the wind gets too strong, but I'm very happy with the pv panel, and particularly with its totally quiet and solid reliability.
During the season my boat remains on a swinging mooring, so it's a bit difficult to plug in to the mains to top up the batteries.
So in short, I'll not be going back down the wind generator route.

ANTREVELL

• Able Seaman
« Reply #4 on: July 05 2016, 09:17 »
Hi

When I go to the boat next will take some pictures.   Folding 100watt panel was aroung 90.00 I think

Regards Tony