Author Topic: Help with Installation of ST4000 + Wheel Drive Autopilot  (Read 3724 times)

Harveyhall

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: 36 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2005
I am installing a Raymarine ST4000 Wheel Drive on a 2005 36 Bavaria. It has a pedestal style binnacle. If you have done this installation could you send pictures and any modification suggestions to the mounting of pedestal bracket I would appreciate it.
Thanks

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
Re: Help with Installation of ST4000 + Wheel Drive Autopilot
« Reply #1 on: July 03 2016, 10:14 »
You need to mount the motor as low down as possible on the left hand side. If the pedestal is not wide enough to mount the bracket you will need to make up a plate to take it. If you have not already bought it, perhaps you should consider getting the below decks version. The 4000 is not the best bit of kit. It is marginal on power for your size boat and has a reputation for the drive itself being less than robust.

Harveyhall

• First Mate
« Reply #2 on: July 03 2016, 16:04 »
Thanks, I would love to see someone else's version mount. Installing the drive unit low makes sense as well. Using the template, that seemed to be my only option at this time.

As for the robustness of the unit, I agree that it may not be the strongest unit. This is my fourth boat with autopilot and my use is limited to the time spent motoring in a straight line with no wind. I or my wife want to be a the wheel when we are actually sailing. But I hear where you are coming from and appreciate the advice. Hope I don't regret the decision.  :(

Spirit of Mary

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
  • Boat Year: 2003
« Reply #3 on: July 03 2016, 23:26 »
Hi,

I had the ST4000 installed on my Bav38 and replaced it by the ST6000 and a below deck linear drive. The ST4000 was not strong enough and functioned only up to wind force 4. Also the tuning was a problem. I only got it right with a rudder reference unit and a setting as a ST5000. I got an A4 sheet with the adjustments. Only by using these adjustments I got the autopilot working with some satisfaction.
Regarding the installation, I enclose a picture which shows the position of the pedestal bracket and the hole for the motor (behind the duct tape) which is just in the replacable cover where also the motor panel and fuel guage is located.

Ger

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #4 on: July 03 2016, 23:28 »
On my old 37 there was enough room on the pedestal to take one screw for the bracket and I made a simple plywood extension to take the other two, screwed to the pedestal. The new owner has replaced it with a similar bracket but in stainless. Although the pedestals look superficially the same, they do vary from model to model and you may well find that what you need to do differs from other boats. The reasons you need to mount the motor low down is partly to avoid upsetting the main compass, and partly because it is the only place where there is enough free depth. You may well also find there is limited clearance between the back of the wheel and the pedestal. I had to modify the instrument panel to give enough clearance to operate the lever and the pin on the bracket ended up only 20mm or so long.

Harveyhall

• First Mate
« Reply #5 on: July 05 2016, 06:55 »
All makes sense. Thanks for those comments and suggestions.