Author Topic: ST6000 and chartplotter choice/integration  (Read 5787 times)

Jam

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 ocean
  • Boat Year: 2000
ST6000 and chartplotter choice/integration
« on: June 25 2016, 13:49 »
Hi
Have st6000 self steering on Bavaria 38 ocean, can I link/integrate  this to modern chart plotter ( still to purchase). Also space at wheel is limited as all instrument are there on plastic panel just in front of wheel..  Not quite sure once purchased as to where to mount any ideas appreciated.  Was thinking at grab bar at wheel but not sure?  There are so many chart plotters that can display everything white suitable instruments however I am reluctant to change all raymarine st60 instruments for that reason.  Would these older instrument integrate with the newer Raymarine chart plotter.  Also the idea of controlling/ displaying on iPad appeals to me.  Last boat had standard horizon plotter which was great and seems enough for my needs. I do not race and cruise mainly around Clyde and occasion Ireland/WestCoast Scotland
Thanks
John
John

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
Re: ST6000 and chartplotter choice/integration
« Reply #1 on: June 25 2016, 18:00 »
Hi John,
I replaced my Raymarine RL70C chart plotter last year for a Raymarine A77 wifi multifunction device. The new plotter uses the newer SeatalkNG communication system, but by using appropriate parts to enable connection, I have been able to couple in my older ST60 instruments, speed, wind, depth and autopilot. In addition I have been able to connect in an Icom AIS transponder and am able to see the chart plotter display on my iPad via the wifi output from the A77 mfd. connection from the old Seatalk system requires a specific connection, and the older NMEA0182 output from the AIS required an Actisense converter to convert the signals to NMEA2000 in order for the AIS targets to show on the new chart plotter. So in answer to your question of whether your older systems can be connected to the newer chart plotters, yes they can, but do ask the manufacturer of your new chart plotter to confirm this. Also factor in the extra cost of the SeatalkNG network that will be needed for connection between your old Seatalk network and the new. You should only need one Seatalk to SeatalkNG connecter, and that will allow all of your old Raymarine instruments to talk to a new Raymarine plotter.
My new plotter was mounted on the grab rail above the top of the steering binnacle using some plastic rail mounts that were screwed to the underside of the plotter support bracket. Next time onboard I'll take some photos and add them in here.

jo_que_se

• Swab
« Reply #2 on: June 28 2016, 14:01 »
Recently I've purchased a Garmin GPSMAP 721 which is really cheap now and is high featured and works perfectly with the ST6000.
I'm planning to add an AIS transceivier and a Garmin Radar (The GPSMAP 721 has already the Radar connector and is very easy to install)

bye!

abouttime

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bav 40AC
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #3 on: June 28 2016, 21:50 »
I bought a Garmin 6008 to fit into the existing binnacle. To house the back of the unit I bought a scanstrut pod. The old instruments went to the nav table and all linked to a nmea2000 network and up to the Garmin as repeaters. So I get all the info - log, auto helm, wind, depth etc on the plotter upstairs. The auto helm needs it own control unit. I can use the auto helm downstairs as an additional steering point. And, if the GPS goes on the blink, I have the separate instruments as a backup.

Jam

• Able Seaman
« Reply #4 on: June 30 2016, 17:30 »
HI
Thanks for all info......it has certainly helped me in a decision.  May go for the raymarine r77, salty are u happy with your choice.  It seems to fit my needs, how to you find the touch screen? Any problems with wet cold hands.
John

Salty

• Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: June 30 2016, 20:26 »
I don't have a problem with the touch screen, and up to now have not been out in weather where I get cold wet hands. Having said that, I preferred having proper controls. I also preferred the appearance of the CMap charts when compared with the present Navionics charts where the symbols used do not always comply with those shown in the UKHO List of Chart Symbols. For example where a dangerous wreck symbol is shown, but where when interrogating the symbol shown it is evident that a clear depth to a certain level has been established by use of wire dragged between two ships at that depth. The "dangerous wreck" symbol then becomes completely the wrong symbol altogether, where instead the symbol shown at IK27 on page 31 of chart 5011 would be correct.
Additionally land masses such as small islands do not always show on the plotter despite that they may be within the range chosen for the on screen display, until you are fairly close 6-8 miles(ish), and where the island may be clearly visible already to the naked eye. It may be that not showing certain information until you are ready to fall over it allows Navionics to provide larger chart areas on a relatively smaller capacity chart card. Yes, I can live with their system, but I don't like it, and it makes me wary when they get the symbols wrong as to what else might be wrong with the chart display.
The wreck referred to in the second photo, if I remember correctly, is the one shown a short distance north west of the end of the breakwater.

tiger79

• Old Salt
  • 2014 Cruiser 37
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 37
  • Boat Year: 2014
« Reply #6 on: June 30 2016, 21:48 »
I don't have a problem with the touch screen, and up to now have not been out in weather where I get cold wet hands. Having said that, I preferred having proper controls. I also preferred the appearance of the CMap charts when compared with the present Navionics charts where the symbols used do not always comply with those shown in the UKHO List of Chart Symbols. For example where a dangerous wreck symbol is shown, but where this is combined with a symbol showing that a clear depth to a certain level has been established by use of wire dragged between two ships at that depth. It's completely the wrong symbol altogether. Also where land masses such as small islands do not always show on the plotter despite that they may be within the range chosen for the on screen display, until you are fairly close 6-8 miles(ish), and where the island may be clearly visible already to the naked eye. It may be that not showing certain information until you are ready to fall over it allows Navionics to provide larger chart areas on a relatively smaller capacity chart card. Yes, I can live with their system, but I don't like it, and it makes me wary when they get the symbols wrong as to what else might be wrong with the chart display.

Your a77 will take either Navionics or C-Map charts, so why not use C-Map if you prefer them?

Salty

• Old Salt
« Reply #7 on: July 02 2016, 21:36 »
Hi John,
Onboard my boat yesterday, herewith the photos as promised.
I used standard Plastimo rail mounts, one of which was fitted in way of where there is a short length of rail fitted at right angles to the transverse grab rail around the binnacle. The Plastimo rail mounts allow the mounts to secure to rails where there is a "T" shape in the rails as well as to vertical or horizontal rails. This firmly located the plotter support bracket such that it is offset to starboard, but still allows my plotter to fit within the available space. Additionally the screw holes in the Plastimo rail mounts for securing them to the Raymarine bracket were precisely the same distance apart as the drillings in the Raymarine bracket, so nothing in regard to those brackets or mountings needed to be modified. The cabling to the plotter was lead out of the binnacle via a watertight fitting attached to the forward side of the pedestal where I have also fitted a plastic hand hole with a watertight cover.
If you need any more info, just ask.
Sorry about the upside down photos, I don't know why that happens, it doesn't happen every time, but they come out the right way up when selected on my iPad.
Additionally I've modified my posting in this thread from June 30th above, to provide more information in regard to comment entered that day.

Jam

• Able Seaman
« Reply #8 on: July 04 2016, 00:43 »
Thanks for all info and photos greatly appreciated and now have good ideas re purchase, mounting the chartplotter.
John

Neil

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 39
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #9 on: July 04 2016, 11:19 »
Hi John,

Your cruising grounds are the same as mine. I use Navionics on Raymarine CP and on the iPad. I can't comment on CMap as I haven't used it. I also use UKHO paper charts and on the iPad, which are not integrated with my Raymarine kit. It is worth checking out Antares charts (check the website) which are a supplement for the UKHO and can be put on the iPAD via Memory Map. The guys who produce the Antares charts have done an excellent job around the West coat of Scotland and a lot of dangerous uncharted rocks have been identified, so good for pilotage.

Neil

Salty

• Old Salt
« Reply #10 on: July 05 2016, 17:48 »
Thanks for all info and photos greatly appreciated and now have good ideas re purchase, mounting the chartplotter.
John

John, the Plastimo mounts that I used were originally designed to hold a lifebuoy light, but I'd changed the light and the mounts were left over. The bit that the light clipped into was discarded leaving just the rail mounts which are shown on pages 54-55 of Plastimo's on line catalogue, along with its part number, see photo below.
Also I purchased separately some shorter bolts which reduced the risk of catching my skin against the ends of the bolts. (The consequent leakage tends to stain the deck !).

Jam

• Able Seaman
« Reply #11 on: July 06 2016, 23:49 »
Thanks for that, had a look on plastisol web and wasn't sure if the rail clamps with the clip was what you had use and modified by removing clip.  Thanks again for all previous info/ pics which was really useful.  Like the idea as everything can be removed easily and simple to install.
John