Author Topic: How do you guys attach you genoa halyard to the top swivel?  (Read 2867 times)

jonrarit

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2005
2005 B36 cruiser with original elvstrom sails.

At the moment I have a bowline through the hole in the top swivel (furlex) but the "knot" of the bowline appears to be touching the lead into the mast....ie run out of travel.

I have though about doing away with the bowline and just feeding it through the swivel with a stopped knot but this puts it into single shear and adds a twisting element to the load on the swivel.

I suspect the cause is a combination of old "stretched" luff and possibly the mast set too upright but not had a good chance to inspect the rig tune yet so cant confirm that.

How do you guys do it?

jonathan

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
The "halyard" knot is better than a bowline as it is shorter. You can find instructions on the Selden site.

patprice

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Swanson 36 and Bavaria 42
  • Boat Year: 2000
Interesting topic...bowline Vs halyard knot.
At the risk of grabbing the topic away what are the comparisons, besides knot length ?

Aquila

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36 Avantgarde
  • Boat Year: 2012
unless I am missing something here i would suggest a snap shackle is used to connect to the furiex top swivel with a halyard knot. 

jonrarit

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2005
a snap shackle would make it even longer ... at the moment the halyard is direct onto the furler with the smallest bowline possible. I did look at a halyard know (and will give it a try) but it didnt look much smaller then the bowline hence my idea of feeding through the hole in the furler and using a stopper not instead

jonathan

Neil

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 39
  • Boat Year: 2006
I have a snap shackle on mine, attached with a halyard knot to the halyard. I think furlex suggest having the rig set with the backstay tension for close reaching in reasonable wind ( again check the manual), ie pretty much at its tightest before tensioning the halyard. It depends on how you tension the backstay on your boat.

Neil

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
I have a snap shackle on mine, attached with a halyard knot to the halyard. I think furlex suggest having the rig set with the backstay tension for close reaching in reasonable wind ( again check the manual), ie pretty much at its tightest before tensioning the halyard. It depends on how you tension the backstay on your boat.

Yes, the backstay should be tensioned to the max. tension marker (20% of BL - see Selden guide how to figure out where to place the two markers). This is so the Genoa luff and halyard do not end up carrying the forestay load.

Mine's a snapshackle with a halyard knot too. Works fine and there's room at the bottom for a strop, which I've adjusted so that the halyard knot is almost but not quite at the top sheave - this is also important, because if too far down there's a risk of halyard wrapping around the foil with unpleasant results.
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)