Author Topic: Bav 30 sail measures  (Read 3457 times)

jo_que_se

• Swab
Bav 30 sail measures
« on: June 20 2016, 13:56 »
Hi !

I'm planning to change both the head and main sails.

In order to ask for some quotations, I'll have to provide the sails dimmensions. So it means to remove the current sails and take the measures, then put the sails back again and after buying the new ones install them again.

The worse part is that i'm not sure to take the measures correctly, so can anybody post the measures of the original elvstrom sails??  (Main sail is Furling version too ...)

bye bye!

Aquila

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36 Avantgarde
  • Boat Year: 2012
Re: Bav 30 sail measures
« Reply #1 on: June 21 2016, 11:20 »
Elvstrom will have your sail measurements for you.  They use this to do a quote for you, after initial contact they send out a person to do the measurements you refer too.  The measurements normally take about an hour to do on a boat your size and does need both sails to be dropped.  Not sure where you are but you could contact Jeremy White at Elvstrom based in Hamble UK for initial help and sign posting if in a different country.  I often carry out measurements for Elvstrom UK.

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #2 on: June 21 2016, 16:07 »
Download a sail measurement form from one of the big sailmakers such as Crusader or Kemps and measure your bota. however, it is a popular boat and most sailmakers will have the dimensions of sails they have made for other customers. While buying new sails, discuss your requirements with sailmakers as there are so many choices now, and they may well suggest different sizes from the originals. The original sails are not very good and you would not want to replicate them.

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #3 on: June 21 2016, 20:35 »
I went to the Kemp's site, downloaded their measurement form, measured up for my new main and placed an order with Kemps who confirmed that my measurements tallied with their records for my B36(2002). The sail was duly made and fits perfectly.

saltash182

• Swab
  • Boat Model: 30 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #4 on: June 22 2016, 06:46 »
If you contact Ullman Sails in Plymouth they have just built me sails at a very good price

Neil

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 39
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #5 on: June 22 2016, 14:20 »
If you have a furlex furler for your fore sail ensure the halyard will be at the correct angle at the top when the sail is fully hoisted to prevent halyard wrap (usually between 10 and 15 degrees - check the appropriate furlex manual). Getting this exactly right with the sail measurements and the tack and head attachment points will prevent a lot of messing about subsequently with pendants.