Author Topic: Bow Water Tank for 2006 B37  (Read 3610 times)

Konan the Bavarian

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: 37 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2006
Bow Water Tank for 2006 B37
« on: June 20 2016, 00:52 »
I would like to add a bow water tank to my 2006 B37 (2 cabin).
Does anyone know where in Australia I could find a tank that would fit in this space?

If I can not find a poly type tank, my alternative would be to have an aluminium tank made.

Any ideas or comments?
Cheers,

Steven
SV Konan the Bavarian

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
Re: Bow Water Tank for 2006 B37
« Reply #1 on: June 20 2016, 06:02 »
Try your Bavaria importer in Australia first.

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #2 on: June 20 2016, 10:22 »
Rather than aluminium, suggest you investigate whether there is anybody in australia who makes welded plastic tanks. Much better than metal ones.

Jackho

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: B37
« Reply #3 on: July 12 2016, 21:05 »
I have a B37 2006 and thought of installing an additional water tank.  More as additional ballast as the front end is so tender and was probably designed with this allowance as it sits high in the water and I would prefer a more level profile.. ( comment welcomed).  Anyway Plastimo do a range of flexible tanks of different volumes and  profiles which would be worth looking at , accepting of course fixings / retainers  would  be necessary..

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #4 on: July 13 2016, 09:36 »
If you do go down that route I have a new Plastimo 120l bow tank still in its box which is surplus to requirements. I bought it because the bow tank on my old 37 was leaking and I was not sure it could be repaired. In the end it was repairable. So Plastimo tank for sale at £30 (list price £63) Send me a message if interested.

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #5 on: July 13 2016, 10:42 »
I had flexi-tanks installed by the previous owner of my last boat, not a Bavaria. They were pillow shaped and fitted on each side of the main saloon under the port and starboard settees inside of what was left of the original galvanised water tanks. They seemed to work quite well, though I can't recall who the manufacturer was. At the time they didn't have non return valves fitted such that sailing on one tack for a while resulted in a slow transfer of water to the low side, but that was soon modified. I had the boat for about three and a half years of otherwise trouble free use of the system. The tanks seemed to be quite robustly manufactured, and being flexible they didn't suffer from frost damage during the winter.

Konan the Bavarian

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: 37 Cruiser
« Reply #6 on: July 14 2016, 04:13 »
Thank you for all the input to date.
I am reluctant to use the flexi-tanks for the bow, as I am concerned that 1) they will slosh around and keep me awake at night (I have had them on a previous boat in midships, - and not so good; and 2) the constant movement of water in the flexi-tanks in the bow will shorten their lifespan.

I made a cardboard mock-up of a tank to confirm the largest size that I could retro fit with out major modifications of the wood work under the V berth (approx200litres), and then drew this up and sent the drawing to my local SS fabricator for a quote. AUS$1,550.00

I also contact the helpful people at Bavaria Yachts in Queensland, who were able to source a retro fit Poly tank (150 litres). Their email included all dimensions for confirmation that it would fit into the V berth. The tank includes all inlet/outlet fittings & water tank sensor. AUS$ 950.00 plus delivery.

As an aside, the wiring for the second tank is taped up in the V berth ready to connect direct to the poly tank!

I'm off to the boat on the weekend to confirm the poly tank fits!

Cheers,

Steven
SV Konan the Bavarian