Author Topic: Windlass Lofrans base corrosion  (Read 6945 times)

mowa

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: B39 Cr
  • Boat Year: 2005
Windlass Lofrans base corrosion
« on: June 12 2016, 09:24 »
I never noticed until recently of the rampant corrosion developing in the Lofrans windlass base (2005 B39). You can see it in the pictures before and after cleaned. Someone have an idea of how can I minimize the corrosion until disassembling it for an in depth restauration the next winter?
Many thanks.

Sweet As

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2004
Re: Windlass Lofrans base corrosion
« Reply #1 on: June 12 2016, 09:48 »
Sweet As
Bav 36

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #2 on: June 12 2016, 10:54 »
Follow the Lofrans instruction to remove the windlass once a year and clean. Painting the base helps, as does ditching the foam pad and replacing with plastic such as a section of kitchen cutting board.

Nigel

• R.I.P.
  • Old Salt
    • Dolcetto - My Boat
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 47
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #3 on: June 12 2016, 17:24 »
Yes, get rid of the seawater moat!
Nigel Mercier: Forum Administrator

Ziffius

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 39
« Reply #4 on: June 12 2016, 20:38 »
Hmm I think I need to take a closer look at mine, same boat and age.

Spirit of Mary

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
  • Boat Year: 2003
« Reply #5 on: June 14 2016, 23:14 »
Hi,
On my Bav 38 2003 the 4x M8 studs broke out of the base. My solution was to machine around 15 mm off from the base till I had sound material. I replaced the 15mm aluminium with a 15mm SS frame which I screwed to the machined Lofrans base with I think 10x M6 screws and using in addition epoxy to protect the mating faces and as a glue. In the SS base I placed back the 4x M8 studs. I fully coated the assembly with more layers of epoxy to protect everything against seawater.
When I did the job I found that the 2 aft studs were just at the location where the wall to the front cabin is, so not reachable. In the manufaturing of the boat I think Bavaria placed the windlass first on the deck and than placed the full assembly on the hull. The mentioned yearly disassembling will not be possible, at least not on my boat. I relocated the windlass about 40mm backwards so I can reach the aft studs from the front cabin after removing the panel.

Lyra

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: B36
  • Boat Year: 2004
« Reply #6 on: June 16 2016, 19:34 »
You can look about something that I wrote about this subject (towards the end of the article) - http://www.sylyra.com/windlass_repair_e.php
S/Y Lyra
B36 / 2004

Lazy Pelican

• Old Salt
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #7 on: June 30 2016, 14:05 »
I've just bought a new Lofrans Cayman to replace my Lewmar.
I note the comment about doing away with the seawater moat. Is the answer simply to cut the lip off the black 'gasket' or would it be better to use a piece of chopping board cut to shape?

John

Ziffius

• Old Salt
« Reply #8 on: June 30 2016, 15:11 »
Hi john, Is the gypsy already assembled - I haven't managed to get the inner half of my chain gypsy off, was wondering if you can see why - the clutch wing nut and stripper and outer gypsy half all come off but that inner half is stuck. I don't want to use brute force if there is something simple I'm missing.
I expect it comes fully assembled and greased up, if so don't worry.

Cheers Pete
Ps in Kioni at this time🌞

Lazy Pelican

• Old Salt
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #9 on: June 30 2016, 17:02 »
Hi Pete,

Boat is in Chalkoutsi north of Athens- much quieter than the Ionian.I'm in UK & will go back at end Aug & take windlass with me. Muc
As you say it's fully assembled- if I decide to investigate the clutch cones I'll let you know.

John

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #10 on: June 30 2016, 20:34 »
I've just bought a new Lofrans Cayman to replace my Lewmar.
I note the comment about doing away with the seawater moat. Is the answer simply to cut the lip off the black 'gasket' or would it be better to use a piece of chopping board cut to shape?

John

A piece of chopping board is good alternative as there needs to be some shock absorbance against the platform. Also worth painting the base - assuming they still leave the bare casting. I also took all the fastenings out one at a time and coated the threads with Duralec to reduce the chances of corrosion between the stainless and the aluminium.

alan burns

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 34
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #11 on: July 16 2016, 16:41 »
We had the corrosion problem on our Lofrans windlass on my B34 Saloma. We have machined the corrosion from the base and fitted stainless steel brackets so that the windlass mounts on its shelf with a gap below the casting so it never stands in water. I have a full set of photographs showing the modification and if anyone would like a copy you can contact me by email at alanburns1@talktalk.net I am new to this forum so haven't uploaded any photographs to the forum yet. I have had my B34 from new in 2002 and have carried out many modifications and know the boat backwards together with all its little problems and weaknesses, but it is a great boat. If anyone needs advice on B34's I will be happy to help.

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #12 on: July 16 2016, 18:52 »
That sounds like a good idea Alan. My B36(2002) has a Lofrans Cayman windlass, and I've been following the comment regarding corrosion. I'm in no hurry to have to replace the windlass, and as prevention is better than a cure, raising it out of the water is a much better idea.
Regarding adding a photo, just click on "Additional Options," below the text box when you post a comment, and it will lead you to options allowing inclusion of a photo. All very easy to do.

Mary Claire

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 50 Vision
  • Boat Year: 2008
« Reply #13 on: July 18 2016, 08:22 »
Same problem on my 2005 B39.   I removed the winch and stripped it totally. Then ground the corrosion away back to sound metal, cut the M8 studs of and had a welder build up the aluminium back to normal level. I then filed the weld metal flat and welded the casing onto a 12mm thick aluminium plate considerably larger than the original base. The new plate is through bolted with M12 bolts (not studs as originally) outside of the original seating area.
With regard to removing the inside capstan cone clutch, mine was a bit tight and I used a bearing puller, the problem was that the keyway was slightly burred over not allowing it to come off by hand.

Leo

• Swab
  • 34 / 2001 / 3 cabin
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 34 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #14 on: May 04 2017, 11:17 »
Fortunately this old topic prompted me to have a look at my windlass a while back.  My Bavaria 34 Cruiser (2001) had one of these Lofrans Cayman 88 windlasses installed in the anchor locker when I bought it.  On initial inspection, it looked nice and shiny and functioned perfectly using the wired remote.  I then noticed a slight lifting of the windlass which prevented the locker lid from closing fully.  On closer inspection, it was clear that the base of the alloy windlass gearbox casing was severely corroded and moving slightly on the platform.  Due to my concern that the windlass was going to turn into an additional anchor on the seabed I removed it from the boat for inspection.  The corrosion was really severe and was affecting a couple of the mounting stud holes.  Clearly the rubber mounting seal is very effective in collecting and trapping salt water.  An appalling design fault from Lofrans.  I have since purchased another brand new Lofrans Cayman 88 and installed this directly onto the platform with a bed of Sikaflex sealant.  I expect that the new windlass will give years of reliable service.  A potential disaster averted thanks to this forum and the original poster of this topic.

Craig

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2009
« Reply #15 on: May 04 2017, 23:04 »
It is not just the Lofrans windlasses that have this problem.

The Lewmar windlass on my 2010 Bav 38 had the aluminium casing near the chain stripper corrode out. Hauling the anchor one day, the part gave way, jammed the chain and caused the planetary gears to strip. Whole new windlass required.

Any windlass with an aluminium casing appears to be liable to this problem. Much better to have SS sit in salt water than aluminium.

I agree with the chopping board solution to help keep out the salt water. Also, heaps of fresh water when washing down the boat.

Craig
"Shirley Valentine"
Gold Coast
Australia