Author Topic: Thoughts on used 1997 Bavaria 46  (Read 3447 times)

Cassiopeia

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 46 Exclusive
  • Boat Year: 1997
Thoughts on used 1997 Bavaria 46
« on: June 06 2016, 20:34 »
I'm looking at a 1997 Bavaria 46, and I'm interested in thoughts, experiences, info on this model. She appears very solid, and well-taken care of. I've seen a survey from a few years ago on this particular boat.

I'm not familiar with Bavaria's. My current boat is a 1983 Catalina 36. We're looking for a larger boat as a liveaboard that also sails well.
Doug and Mary
S/V Cassiopeia  1997 Bavaria 46E
Sailing the Puget Sound now, planning for Mexico and maybe the South Pacific in a few years

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
Re: Thoughts on used 1997 Bavaria 46
« Reply #1 on: June 07 2016, 00:29 »
This one I presume: http://www.yachtworld.co.uk/boats/1997/Bavaria-46-Exclusive-2555784/St.-Maarten-St.-Martin

The MD22 is the original engine these came with. Weak points are the raw water injector on the exhaust elbow (search this forum for horror pictures, but a relatively cheap part), and the aluminium heat exchanger/manifold unit. It's the model with a v-belt on the raw water pump - that's good. The pump seals go, so check for leaks at the shaft end of the pump. Otherwise a good engine. Braided fuel lines were very rusty on mine where they passed through the bilges and insurance asked me to replace them.

Boat looks nicely kitted out and well maintained - seacocks and saildrive are the two large ones that would've needed doing.

I'm surprised the mast needed refurbishing so soon. The anodizing normally lasts 30 years or more. Ask why.

Check those Spinlock rope clutches. Mine were seized around the shaft and opening one caused all on the shaft to open at the same time.

The Raymarine ST60 instruments are still fine. CRT radar looks prehistoric. Ripping out the side deck teak is another big job ticked off - cockpit teak is probably due in a few more years, but that's a manageable area.

Rudder and bearings should be a focus for the surveyor - Bavaria switched suppliers later on due to quality issues. Rudders often have water ingress via the rudder post/grp join and osmosis from the inside out, plus the bearings tend to wear or seize.

In general, Bavarias of that time were well built production boats with a good design and well picked suppliers (Selden/Hasselfors/Furlex, Volvo, Elvstrøm). They were however built to a budget. If you stick your head in a locker where there's unpainted fibreglass to see, you can see what that means. It was made in a factory production line and is a boat built to go boating, not one to be admired for beautiful craftsmanship. Although the interior joinery is certainly not to be frowned upon - good quality and materials and much more of it than in current models.

I'd say go for it (pending survey).
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

IslandAlchemy

• Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: June 07 2016, 09:09 »
Sound advice and well summed-up.

Cassiopeia

• Swab
« Reply #3 on: June 17 2016, 22:51 »
Thanks very much for the helpful response.
Doug and Mary
Sailing the Puget Sound now, planning for Mexico and maybe the South Pacific in a few years

Cassiopeia

• Swab
« Reply #4 on: June 21 2016, 15:41 »
A question that a friend brought up to me as we discussed this boat, has to do with the electrical system:

Would the boat have a single line or double line 220 for shore power?

If I understand this correctly, it has to do with whether 1 or 2 shore power cables would be needed to connect to a typical US marina's shore power. Or whether the boat's electrical system requires/has the necessary gear to make it work.

Any insight and enlightenment is appreciated!

Doug and Mary

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #5 on: June 21 2016, 15:53 »
220v has one 3 core cable with a socket on the boat to use a cable to the shorepower. You will have to convert the circuit in the boat and all the 220v equipment to 110v or use a converter in the power supply.