Author Topic: Sail Drive Oil Change  (Read 17672 times)

sailprincess

• First Mate
    • Sailing With Bloom
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 40
  • Boat Year: 2002
Sail Drive Oil Change
« on: June 02 2016, 22:23 »
Does anyone have or know where I can find step-by-step instructions on how to change the oil in our Volvo Penta (MD2030) sail drive leg? We will be hauling out next week and aren't sure how to do this but would like to do it ourselves rather than hire the Volvo guys. Thanks!!

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
Re: Sail Drive Oil Change
« Reply #1 on: June 02 2016, 23:15 »
Best way is to remove the drain plug at the bottom of the leg. It will be buried in crud and needs a perfect fitting screwdriving and probably an impact one. Refill with engine oil and replace the seal on the plug.

Craig

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2009
« Reply #2 on: June 02 2016, 23:59 »
Agree with above, however, I have always used the recommended Volvo Transmission oil. I don't know if this matters or whether using the recommended Transmission fluid is merely to extract more money from me.

Providing you don't have a problem, I can't see any problem with sucking the oil out through the top.
Craig
"ShirleyValentine"
Gold Coast
Australia

dawntreader

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria37
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #3 on: June 03 2016, 08:08 »
Agree with above, however, I have always used the recommended Volvo Transmission oil. I don't know if this matters or whether using the recommended Transmission fluid is merely to extract more money from me.

Providing you don't have a problem, I can't see any problem with sucking the oil out through the top.
Craig
"ShirleyValentine"
Gold Coast
Australia

Volvo have changed their advice and now recommend using engine oil rather than transmission fluid

Neil

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 39
« Reply #4 on: June 03 2016, 08:23 »
Just about to do this job myself. The O rings replacements are cheap - 59p from Volspec. Volspec were also doing a deal on the engine oil though I'm not sure how long for. I'm replacing the transmission oil with standard engine oil. No need to use the synthetic oil, which I do use in the engine itself.

dawntreader

• Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: June 03 2016, 08:26 »

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
« Reply #6 on: June 04 2016, 04:20 »
Best way is to remove the drain plug at the bottom of the leg. It will be buried in crud and needs a perfect fitting screwdriving and probably an impact one. Refill with engine oil and replace the seal on the plug.

I can't stress how important it is to use a "perfect fitting screwdriver." The plug is made from relatively soft stainless steel and the shoulders of the screwdriver slot will become rounded if the screwdriver you use is worn and also if it is too small. If you use an impact driver, be very gentle with it as the sail drive leg is an aluminium casting, and an over generous impact might result in needing a new sail drive leg.
In the past when I did not have the right screwdriver for the job, I used my engine oil extractor pump with a thin tube attached to suck the old oil out via the saildrive dipstick plug hole on the top. This needs to be done when the oil in the saildrive is warm, i.e after a run of half an hour or so.
Also, in my opinion, sucking the oil out as described above should not be a long term solution, as you may not get out the last drops of oil that contain any impurities.
A further point is to put the old oil into an empty and dry water bottle which you then leave to stand for a day at least before you dispose of the oil. The oil as it comes out should not be mushy which would indicate that you have a bearing seal leak, and leaving it to stand will allow any water in the oil to settle to the bottom, thereby making its presence very clear. If you have a leaking seal, and unless you are very competent, it is something best left for the yard engineer to fix for you. Apart from that, the oil change is otherwise a pretty easy job to do, but DON'T, repeat DON'T overfill the sail drive when the new oil is put in. Overfilling if not corrected will result in oil being expelled into the engine compartment when the leg warms up while in use and the oil expands.

dawntreader

• Old Salt
« Reply #7 on: June 04 2016, 07:56 »
Agree all above from Salty. I changed my oil after 2 years and it was so clean I was very reluctant to throw it away (but did so  ;)). Also, remember that the oil level in the sail drive is measured with the dip stick (red screw-in filler cap) loose, that is, not screwed in.

Nigel

• R.I.P.
  • Old Salt
    • Dolcetto - My Boat
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 47
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #8 on: June 04 2016, 12:18 »
My 120S-E does not use engine oil. I'd like to know how to drain it from above.
Nigel Mercier: Forum Administrator

Harry Brown

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 39 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2007
« Reply #9 on: June 04 2016, 13:51 »
Agree all above from Salty. I changed my oil after 2 years and it was so clean I was very reluctant to throw it away (but did so  ;)). Also, remember that the oil level in the sail drive is measured with the dip stick (red screw-in filler cap) loose, that is, not screwed in.

Well I didn't know that oil level was measured with the dipstick "not screwed in"!!
Not that I don't believe you but could you tell me where you sourced that information from?
I better add some more oil if that's the case!
Thank you.

Harry Brown

• First Mate
« Reply #10 on: June 04 2016, 15:00 »

Choose from one of these, very good for any oil extraction jobs. Good quality too.
http://www.pelapumps.co.uk/

dawntreader

• Old Salt
« Reply #11 on: June 04 2016, 16:26 »

Well I didn't know that oil level was measured with the dipstick "not screwed in"!!
Not that I don't believe you but could you tell me where you sourced that information from?
I better add some more oil if that's the case!
Thank you.

Some info here but there appears to be conflicting information from VP  :o

http://www.ybw.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-385925.html

tiger79

• Old Salt
  • 2014 Cruiser 37
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 37
  • Boat Year: 2014
« Reply #12 on: June 04 2016, 17:11 »

The Operating Manual for my D1-30 with 130S saildrive clearly says not to screw the dipstick in when checking.

Harry Brown

• First Mate
« Reply #13 on: June 04 2016, 19:02 »

The Operating Manual for my D1-30 with 130S saildrive clearly says not to screw the dipstick in when checking.

Well there you go, thank you for taking the time to post.
Better top up a bit now then ;D

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #14 on: June 05 2016, 11:18 »

I don't think you can on that model. I've looked for a way to do this when I took my 120S-E apart for servicing (rubber ring and shaft seals). There is no room to stick anything down the filler hole at all. Sticking a tube down the dipstick hole would only get you to the level of the rubber ring, but not down into the leg as the tube would have to make several tight turns. The extremely viscous oil specified for this model wouldn't easily come up a tube anyways (as you probably know it takes forever just to ooze down into the saildrive leg when filling).

Draining from anywhere but the bottom screw is not ideal even on models where it is possible (130 and on), as all the stuff you actually want to remove will be at the very bottom and stay behind when sucked out with a tube.
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

njsail

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 40 Ocean
« Reply #15 on: June 05 2016, 17:11 »
We used to change the sail drive oil every other year and like many if you it comes out looking like brand new.   Once we did need an impact driver to release the bottom screw but that was after I first bought her and she was sitting on sticks for years.  It's really thick oil and since we keep the boat out of the water every winter it was just a matter of opening the screw and letting it drip out into a pan.   Smells horrible to me even the fresh stuff. I agree with checking for water.    Good luck and give it a try.  make sure to use the proper screw driver to get it off.

Neil

• First Mate
« Reply #16 on: June 06 2016, 08:28 »
Even with the oil filled to the correct level (as measured with the dip stick not screwed in) I get some leakage of oil on my 130S sail drive. I have been monitoring this and there is not so much that would require topping up. It tends to collect in the rubber gaitor and has to be cleaned periodically. Anyone else noticed this?

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
« Reply #17 on: June 06 2016, 09:34 »
Yes, I've had leakage over the top on my 120s saildrive when filling to the "not screwed in dipstick level," and in consequence I only fill now (last five years), to the level with the dip stick fully screwed in. Result, no more leakage, but whether it's harmful for the works inside remains to be seen.

Harry Brown

• First Mate
« Reply #18 on: June 06 2016, 13:27 »
I'm the same. Always filled to the "screwed in level" and I've been thinking about it and I'm going to continue to do so I think.
I have never had excess oil out of the Sail Drive whilst in use filling it like this.
Also, if run the Drive in gear and open the dip stick, the oil is swirling around right at the hole. I think if you did that with the oil level at the " not screwed in" level, it would come pouring out.
So it would appear to me that oil is covering the entire internal area of the drive at the "screwed in level"
I might be wrong though!  ;)

Neil

• First Mate
« Reply #19 on: June 06 2016, 15:37 »
Maybe Volvo need to revise their recommendation? In the interim I intend to fill to the lower level with the dipstick not screwed in, monitor and mop up any spill. Not ideal. Also the O ring on the dip screw isn't a great seal.

Craig

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2009
« Reply #20 on: June 09 2016, 01:52 »
The recommended time between changing the transmission oil is greater than the length of time between haul-outs for most, if not all boats.

Draining from the bottom is therefore probably easier ( if you have the right equipment and not much fouling)  than sucking through the dip-stick and not getting all the oil. I have changed my oil through the dip-stick after forgetting to do this when hauled out, and only because the oil taken out still looked perfect. If I thought there was a problem, I think I would haul the boat out and check seals, "O' rings etc.

Any water in the oil would require a haul-out to fix.

I wasn't aware of the completely different specifications for the transmission oils, as shown above.

It would be wise to check your own manuals thoroughly as the difference between engine oil ( viscosity of 5W-40 to 30W-40)  and some of the transmission oils ( viscosity 80W-90) is great.

Craig
"Shirley Valentine"
Gold Coast
Australia

sailprincess

• First Mate
    • Sailing With Bloom
« Reply #21 on: June 11 2016, 21:32 »
Thanks everyone! We pulled her out, drained the oil from the leg and filled it back up with engine oil after we replaced the seal as there was a little bit of water in the oil bucket. Everything should be good now ;)

Anthony

• First Mate
« Reply #22 on: June 30 2016, 13:11 »
I have read various comments quite erroneously advising to use engine oil in the sail drive leg. Whilst this may be ok for some sail drive models it is certainly NOT ok with the 120SE 2.2 model. I had this firm advice from a Volvo Penta engineer.
It is not absolutely necessary to use the ridiculously expensive Volvo LG5 synthetic transmission oil; I have used the Penrite equivalent 'Progear fully synthetic transmission oil 75-90' which comes at a third of the price of the Volvo lubricant.

Anthony

• First Mate
« Reply #23 on: June 30 2016, 13:17 »
Additionally my Volvo handbook and maintenance instructions for the sail drive is absolutely clear and emphasises measuring the dipstick level NOT screwed in.
As a word of general advice be aware the oil flows down the leg very slowly so be patient when filling as it is tediously slow. The Penrite oil containers are ideally designed with a long narrow spout to control this. Access is easier by removing the rear cabin mattress and bed board.
The handbook says capacity for the 120 SE 2.2 leg is 2.8 litres

patprice

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Swanson 36 and Bavaria 42
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #24 on: July 01 2016, 05:47 »
My B42 year 2000 has a Volvo MD22 and leg. Can anyone advise me how to identify which leg model I have ?
Thanks.