Author Topic: Wireless remote windlass control  (Read 8075 times)

Tethys

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2003
Wireless remote windlass control
« on: May 25 2012, 14:50 »
Has anyone fitted a wireless remote windlass control to the popular Lofrans Cayman / Quick controller setup?

Regards

Andy

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
Re: Wireless remote windlass control
« Reply #1 on: May 25 2012, 22:31 »
Yes. I used one from Coastal Technologies. Works well. However, the smart money now seems to be on the cheap Chinese jobbies sold on EBay for winches on Land Rovers.

Tethys

• Second Mate
« Reply #2 on: June 01 2012, 09:00 »
Thanks Symphony.  I found Coastline Technology here: http://www.coastlinetechnology.com/prodshow/Windlass_Radio_Remote_Control/windlass_rxtx.html
I presume this is the one you have?

Regards,

Andy

Symphony

• Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: June 03 2012, 00:38 »
Yes, thats the one!

Tethys

• Second Mate
« Reply #4 on: June 03 2012, 10:03 »
One more question, did you have to remove the windlass to get at the wiring, or was it accessable from the panel in the forecabin?

Thanks,

Andy

Symphony

• Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: June 03 2012, 22:46 »
On my boat the windlass control box is behind the panel at the chart table. The electrician who fitted it did not do anything at the windlass end. The radio receiver is underneath the chart table.

Tethys

• Second Mate
« Reply #6 on: June 04 2012, 08:28 »
Thanks, I'll have a rummage there.

Sweet As

• First Mate
  • Boat Year: 2004
« Reply #7 on: June 18 2012, 01:27 »
Has anyone positively located the anchor windlass solenoid on a Bav36, or similar? I wish to fit a wireless remote (I've gone for the ebay version) but haven't been able to locate the control box easily. I thought I would ask before starting to remove panels. It is not behind the fwd panel at the end of the fwd berth.

Thanks

PS: At AUD40 delivered it looks like value. Looking forward to dropping the anchor from the cockpit. I also purchased on ebay a wireless bicycle speedometer for less than AUD10. I'm going to try to stick the encoder to the rope drum on the port side of the windlass and see if I can establish a chain counter display back in the cockpit. The first wave over the bow will probably kill the equipment and end the project, but nothing ventured...... Has anyone else tried something similar?
Sweet As
Bav 36

Nigel

• R.I.P.
  • Old Salt
    • Dolcetto - My Boat
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 47
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #8 on: June 18 2012, 08:16 »
Has anyone positively located the anchor windlass solenoid on a Bav36, or similar? ...
... see if I can establish a chain counter display back in the cockpit.

Get someone to operate the windlass while you are in the saloon, you should hear the relay clicking.

I've built a chain counter using a sensor that detects the passing of the manual attachment point (the hole) in the drum, and also senses which button is pressed: up or down. The display is on a pair of 7-segment LEDs, in metres.
Nigel Mercier: Forum Administrator

Trundletruc

• Second Mate
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #9 on: July 04 2012, 15:41 »
On our Bav36 2002 the operating mechanism for the anchor winch is behind the switch panel by the chart table.

Swing the switch panel forward and you will see the mechanism top right, fastened to the board. There are a couple of big wires for the winch and a number of smaller ones which come from the controller and I think Lofrans is printed somewhere on it?

Serendipity.