Author Topic: B38 C Bilge pump/fuses  (Read 3604 times)

Boxer

• Swab
  • Boat Model: 38'Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2005
B38 C Bilge pump/fuses
« on: June 01 2016, 18:06 »
Greetings
We recently 'took possession' of Boxer, a 2005 B38 Cruiser, very pleased!
Finding various little issues, one of which is that the bilge pump doesn't appear to work.
Checking the systems, Im confused about the apparent lack of fuses, an obvious first issue to check.
My previous boat, a B350 had the 'pop out' buttons on the switch panel which indicated fault and when fixed,were pushed back in and all' fine.
This panel does not have the same pop out buttons and I can't see any fuses.
Please help.
Incidentally, the bilge is virtually dry and the indicator lamp on the panel lights up when it's switched on.
A test meter was put across the motor and there was very little resistance which I'm told indicates the motor is probably OK.
I believe I have the L2200 Johnson pump.
In advance, thanks
Nick

Baltic

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: B39
  • Boat Year: 2006
Re: B38 C Bilge pump/fuses
« Reply #1 on: June 01 2016, 20:13 »

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #2 on: June 01 2016, 20:22 »
We recently 'took possession' of Boxer, a 2005 B38 Cruiser, .........
Finding various little issues, one of which is that the bilge pump doesn't appear to work.
A test meter was put across the motor and there was very little resistance which I'm told indicates the motor is probably OK.
In advance, thanks
Nick

Nick, while you had the test meter there, did you check to see if there was any voltage arriving at the pump?

A problem with many of the older models is that Bavaria used to use ordinary copper wire on all of the circuits. Whether they have since changed to tinned copper cable, I do not know, but it does make a very significant difference. Some years ago my mainmast steaming light did not work, despite that the bulb and the light fitting were all in working order, and with a meter I determined that 12 volts was present at the light bulb. The problem turned out to be corrosion on the copper cables preventing the current obviously present from arriving at the light bulb in sufficient quantity to enable the bulb to illuminate.
On my boat the electric bilge pump is wired through the bilge area and has connections made that are also located within the bilge area. On my boat these connections are about to be moved to a point well above the bilges, but if Bavaria sited the connections on your boat where they currently are on mine, then it would not be the least surprising to find that corrosion had done for any chance of allowing an adequate amount of electricity to reach the pump enough to make it turn.
Do let us know what you find and if you are able to get the pump working again.

Boxer

• Swab
« Reply #3 on: June 01 2016, 21:45 »
Hi

Is panel model 201 ?

Check this topic.

http://www.bavariayacht.info/forum/index.php/topic,710.msg3709.html#msg3709

Hi Baltic
Yes the panel is a 201.
We'll investigate the integral switch/circuit breaker tomorrow.
Thanks and I'll let you know how it develops!
Thanks
Nick

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #4 on: June 01 2016, 23:53 »
Incidentally, the bilge is virtually dry and the indicator lamp on the panel lights up when it's switched on.

My bilge pump motor was seized from disuse, which I've since seen on other boats as well. A few sturdy taps on the side with a hammer  (while switched on) has fixed mine and that of another boat, or you can try turning it by the paddlewheel if you can reach it. Good idea to switch it on for a second and listen if it's going every now and then once you have fixed it.
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #5 on: June 02 2016, 14:23 »
Seizing is common because they are in a damp atmosphere and rarely get used. As suggested, check there is power getting to the terminals. Had to replace mine with a Rule 2000.

Boxer

• Swab
« Reply #6 on: June 02 2016, 19:04 »
Thanks all for your contributions but I'm still confused re circuit breakers/fuses.
Regards
Nick

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #7 on: June 05 2016, 11:01 »
Baltic linked you to the thread where you can find the answer: Those things on your panel that look like switches are actually breakers.
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)