Author Topic: Creaking under sink cupboard door in heads  (Read 2678 times)

Bavchi32

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 32
  • Boat Year: 2003
Creaking under sink cupboard door in heads
« on: May 10 2016, 22:34 »
On my 2003 32 the cupboard door under the sink in the heads has started creaking badly. I have tried forcing oil into the long hinge with limited success.
It would be more successful if I could remove the door and get some white grease in the hinge before it breaks.
Anyone know if the hinge snaps on? I can't see how else it could have been constructed as the frame screws are blocked by the door.
Thanks guys

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
Re: Creaking under sink cupboard door in heads
« Reply #1 on: May 11 2016, 17:38 »
Got a Photo? My 2001 plastic door (Nuova Rade it says on a sticker inside the door) unscrews by opening the door and undoing the screws all around the frame. It can then be pulled out. Check if it still creaks when removed - it may be creaking because the frame is being deformed.

I haven't had the hinge out, but it looks like the hinge is accessible under a shaped plastic cover at the top. As most of the thing is plastic, oil won't help it much, it wants some plastic friendly grease - silicone grease will do. I'd try flushing the oil out with some degreaser before getting silicone grease into there.
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #2 on: May 11 2016, 18:52 »
I've got the same as Yngmar and agree with Yngmar's comment regarding grease. If you should need to replace the door, that size is readily available from chandlers in the UK, I.e. Force 4 for example where they charge around £45 plus postage. I had to change mine after I bought my boat second hand as the original was about to fall off, and It was very easy to do. Not quite so easy was fitting the toilet roll holder to the back of the door, and where in consequence a newish roll tends to catch the edge of the frame, but not for long !!

Bavchi32

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 32
  • Boat Year: 2003
« Reply #3 on: May 11 2016, 23:22 »
Thanks for the suggestions. I would have liked to remove the door and frame but on the 2003 32 the door only opens 90* before meeting the cabin door frame, so the door covers the frame fixing screws.
That's why I hoped the door snapped on to the frame.
I just wondered if anyone had managed to remove one

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #4 on: May 15 2016, 08:02 »
On my door, the stiffeners on the door have cut out areas on the nearest stiffener to the hinged area. Those cut outs allow easy access for your screwdriver to get to the securing screws. My boat is a year older than yours so it's likely you have the same door arrangement.