Author Topic: Fresh Water Plumbing  (Read 5855 times)

simmo

Fresh Water Plumbing
« on: May 07 2016, 01:15 »
Hi, I have another Bavaria 34 Cruiser (2001) plumbing query.  The boat has forward and aft fresh water tanks.  I believe the two way tap in the port side bathroom cabinet (in the photo) controls the water flow from the tanks.  Does one position drain only the forward tank and the other drain only the aft tank and if so which way is which?  At the moment the aft is 50% full and the forward is permanently 100% full (full to a mm of the brim if you remove the inspection hatch).  Curious if anyone has the same set up.  Unfortunately none of the clean or dirty water plumbing system is labelled on my boat.  Regards Simmo

Nigel

• R.I.P.
  • Old Salt
    • Dolcetto - My Boat
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 47
  • Boat Year: 2000
Re: Fresh Water Plumbing
« Reply #1 on: May 07 2016, 08:07 »
On my boat turning the lever forward and aft selects the appropriate tank.
Nigel Mercier: Forum Administrator

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #2 on: May 07 2016, 09:18 »
On my boat, up is aft and right is forward. Should be easy enough to confirm out by looking down the tank inspection hatch while running the tap.
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

MarkTheBike

• Old Salt
  • 34/2001 2cab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 34
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #3 on: May 08 2016, 20:13 »
2-cabin version, so mine's under the sink. Quite frankly, if the lever is in one position and one tank is half full and the other is completely full, then I'd switch the lever the other way, turn on the sink tap and see if the full one starts to empty. If it does, problem solved and that's the point to write a BIG LABEL and stick it near the lever.... (I was lucky, all my pipes were labelled).
ATB

Mark

tiger79

• Old Salt
  • 2014 Cruiser 37
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 37
  • Boat Year: 2014
« Reply #4 on: May 08 2016, 20:59 »
I'm really finding it hard to believe that anyone would ask this question.

landes_h

• Able Seaman
  • Blue sky sailor
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
  • Boat Year: 2003
« Reply #5 on: May 11 2016, 08:12 »
I'm really finding it hard to believe that anyone would ask this question.
  like  :tbu
Greetings
Horst
Bavaria 38 / 2003 berth Portoroz, Slowenia

DT

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 34 cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2010
« Reply #6 on: May 14 2016, 23:01 »
very funny......if heaven forbid, you turn turtle the settings will reverse.

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #7 on: May 15 2016, 07:29 »
......The boat has forward and aft fresh water tanks.  I believe the two way tap in the port side bathroom cabinet (in the photo) controls the water flow from the tanks. 
Q1. Does one position drain only the forward tank and the other drain only the aft tank and
Q2. if so which way is which?
Q3. Unfortunately none of the clean or dirty water plumbing system is labelled on my boat....

Hi Simmo
I've slightly rearranged your query in the quote above in order to answer it, and in answering it I will also refer to your picture where needed.
In answer to Q1. Yes, one position will drain only the forward tank while the other will drain only the aft tank.
Regarding Q2, with the handle in the vertical position as shown in your photo, water is being drawn from the left blue water pipe. You will have to follow that specific blue water pipe to see which tank it is connected to in order to determine whether it is the forward or aft tank that is being pumped.
As for point 3, actually there is labelling or rather marking already on the valve shown in your photo which indicates what is happening, but only if you understand what that marking is telling you.
Look closely at the picture and on the valve handle you will see an "L" shape marked on it in black. That "L" shape indicates the channel within the valve which will allow water flow through it. In your photo that channel is shown connecting between the left blue pipe and the valve outlet leading to the filter above left and onwards to the pump. If you then turn your valve handle clockwise to the horizontal position, the "L" shape would now indicate connection between the right hand blue pipe and the valve outlet to the filter and on. Your only remaining problem is where does the left blue pipe come from, and where does the right blue pipe come from. Well the answer is that one comes from the forward tank while the other is from your aft tank, but in order to determine which is which, all you need to do is to follow one or other pipe to see which tank it comes from, and it's odds on likely that if one leads forward that it will be the pipe from the forward tank, and the other then must be from the aft tank.

simmo

« Reply #8 on: May 17 2016, 08:17 »
Thanks Salty, Nigel, Mark, Yngmar for your advice to a simple question.  Will ignore the unhelpful responses - just not worth the time to reply.  The question was asked as the pressurised water system isn't working the way it should as no water will drain from the forward tank regardless of which way the valve is turned.  It stays permanently full to the top. Will investigate further.  Simmo. 

Lyra

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: B36
  • Boat Year: 2004
« Reply #9 on: May 17 2016, 09:19 »
The question was asked as the pressurised water system isn't working the way it should as no water will drain from the forward tank regardless of which way the valve is turned.

If pipes length permit simply switch between pipes connection to the valve - if water flows then there is a problem with the valve and if water does not flow there is a problem between tank and the valve.
Actually as soon as you disconnect the pipe from the non functioning tank there should be an indication if there is a problem between tank and valve as I would expect water to pour out if everything is OK.
S/Y Lyra
B36 / 2004

Nigel

• R.I.P.
  • Old Salt
    • Dolcetto - My Boat
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 47
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #10 on: May 17 2016, 17:03 »
... no water will drain from the forward tank regardless of which way the valve is turned.  It stays permanently full to the top....
Do you get water out of the taps in both positions?
Nigel Mercier: Forum Administrator

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #11 on: May 17 2016, 19:27 »
Do you get water out of the taps in both positions?

That's a very good point Nigel, it's quite possible that the valve handle, or the end of the valve spindle is worn or damaged such that the handle is not actually turning a valve spindle that is stuck in one position, good thinking  :tbu