Author Topic: C70 Chartplotter  (Read 7479 times)

Beasag

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2005
C70 Chartplotter
« on: May 20 2012, 11:04 »

The chartplotter has failed again (Raymarine C70), installed when the Bav 33 was new in 2005. Loads of problems with this model, the techs advise me it?s fairly common - had it repaired last year (screen lines), advised that it was the internal ribbon cable - now all is black. My thoughts are either to replace it or go for further repair.

All instruments are raymarine, inc autohelm ? and the thought of another C70 @ £1k, possibly not.
Does anyone have any advice on this subject, or on chartplotters you would recommend ? or am I tied into raymarine sync.

Thanks for the new forum, I?m also a member of the faded blue stripe!

Bronco 30

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 30
Re: C70 Chartplotter
« Reply #1 on: June 13 2012, 11:56 »
Same equipment (C70 - 2005) same problem.
I've experienced the problem at my first voyage, at night, entering to the harbour...
I had a Iphone with Navigon as a "backup"...

Quite expensive.

Can only afford to replace with a PC.
Is there an IPAD/Tablet solution? (Can accept external and accurate GPS as input?)

MIA

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 39 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #2 on: June 30 2012, 10:28 »
I had the same problem, the C70 was removed and the ribbon was found to be the problem, so far it's been OK screen wise.

[Tangent topic colour coded by Nigel]
I have a problem with the autohelm when it engages it goes a completely different way, but I recon the electronic compass (raymarine) needs re-calibrated when I finally work it out how to do it.

Moodymike

• Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: July 01 2012, 18:24 »
Had the same problem with autohelm you need to change two wires ( despite the colour coding, not on boat so not sure which ones) I do know that it is mentioned in the set up pages of the manual.

MIA

• Able Seaman
« Reply #4 on: July 02 2012, 13:44 »
Thanks I'll have a look at the wiring loop

Moodymike

• Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: July 03 2012, 13:08 »
Just remembered that you can check the wiring by the direction arrow graphic at the bottom of the screen.

Trapeze Artist

• First Mate
    • Little Hotels
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 30 Cruiser
« Reply #6 on: January 11 2014, 17:33 »
Rainbow stripes filling the screen are not a "failure" but just a wonky connection. Probably a common problem as alluded to by the Raymarine techies as it has happened twice on mine.

The key to the problem is the connection between the screen and the circuit board behind it. As the screen is put into place it pushes the connector out of the clips on the circuit board, so not all the terminals are making contact.

The solution is the disassemble it all. (One of the screws is hidden under a little sticker about void warranty.) Take a lot care to ensure the little circuit board for the screen connector is properly held in place by the plastic clips. Then as you refit the screen watch those clips carefully to make sure they haven't released again. If all is well, pop the last bits back together and test.

It's one of those jobs that with the experience of having done it once, you could do it again in five minutes. But two years later, you've forgotten, do it all in the wrong order, and take an hour to do it.

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #7 on: June 08 2014, 00:04 »
Regarding MIA's problem with the autopilot going the wrong way, the two wires to change over are the power leads from the course computer. Where one wire currently goes to the positive connection, change that to negative and negative to positive, and that's it job done. As for the initial set up procedure, if you don't have the original hand books describing the commissioning procedure, go online to Raymarine, and download the instruction from their website. Commissioning will involve taking the boat out, setting the instrument to "Learn" in accordance with the Raymarine instruction, doing at least two full circles slowly, then setting the boat to steer a suitable course under autopilot. At this point the boat will initially wander a bit from side to side as it learns your boat's handling characteristics, eventually settling onto the course you set. Thereafter the job should be a good one, so good luck. It's very satisfying when the end result is what you wanted.

As for repairs to chart plotters, take care who you instruct to deal with the problem. I had an old RL70 plotter that could also handle a radar input, but which had been badly neglected by charterers during the boats early life. The first repairers I sent it to had advertised on a popular web auction site, but they did nothing and charged me for doing it, saying that the internals were corroded etc, not worth repair etc., but they had not even bothered to take the plotter apart. I then sent it to Raymarine and they did a proper job of repairing it and their charges were fair and reasonable and the plotter continued to work. Eventually I changed the plotter for a newer version that could also display in colour, and gave the old one to a friend who has continued to use it.

MIA

• Able Seaman
« Reply #8 on: July 08 2014, 06:40 »
The problem was solved by replacing the fluxgate compass, one of the internal coils was faulty. re-calibrated the compass and swung the electronic compass.
GPS and autopilot working perfectly now.

Stevie

Blue Heeler 1

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 46
« Reply #9 on: October 31 2014, 13:04 »
Our C70 - 2005 does the same.  Previous owner of the boat showed me the exact spot on the corner of the screen I need to tap rather hard to correct the problem!  so far so good, but we are busy switching to laptop based software Open CPN, with our new AIS system plugged in.  I find the graphics easier to read, the information on lights and hazards really well organised and generally the navigation (i.e. route building etc) superior.  So I have two systems in place.  Also, for cockpit ease of use, Navionics app on my Iphone for tricky entry, esp at night, as chart plotter is down below.

Trapeze Artist

• First Mate
    • Little Hotels
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 30 Cruiser
« Reply #10 on: November 09 2014, 22:48 »
Our C70 - 2005 does the same.  Previous owner of the boat showed me the exact spot on the corner of the screen I need to tap rather hard to correct the problem!  so far so good, but we are busy switching to laptop based software Open CPN, with our new AIS system plugged in.  I find the graphics easier to read, the information on lights and hazards really well organised and generally the navigation (i.e. route building etc) superior.  So I have two systems in place.  Also, for cockpit ease of use, Navionics app on my Iphone for tricky entry, esp at night, as chart plotter is down below.

"The same" as what? Given that your solution is a hefty whack in just the right place, I'm guessing the problem is rainbow stripes filling the screen. See my post in this thread from last January about how to solve it at zero cost and with just a small amount of disassembly and reassembly.

My latest C70 problem is the loss of the anti-reflective coating from the screen cover. It was wearing away where I wiped water off with a gloved hand. So I polished it all off to at least get an "even all over" appearance. I have put an iPad screen protector on it to try to get an anti-reflective effect but it's not very successful. However at £2 for a protector against £125 for a replacement screen cover, I'm going to try another protector of a different brand.