Author Topic: Gen set for bavaria 46 cruiser  (Read 2670 times)

jorgen

• Swab
    • Ozprop Capital
  • Boat Model: cruiser 46
  • Boat Year: 2014
Gen set for bavaria 46 cruiser
« on: April 27 2016, 10:54 »
Hi all, i look forward to input regarding a gen set for the 46 cruiser. I am considering either the Mase 6 kva at 186 kg , the Westerbeke 5 kva at approx 190 kg or the Nanni 5 kva at 136 kg
The Mase and the Nanni run at 3000 rpm, the Westerbeke at 1500 rpm
Has anyone done homework on this or actually installed a gen set on the 46 and would you have any feedback on which machine will be the least noisy?
Further how was the gen set installed in between the aft cabins or above the Volvo engine?
Thanks so much in advance for your comments!

adib

• Swab
  • Boat Model: bavaria 49
  • Boat Year: 2003
Re: Gen set for bavaria 46 cruiser
« Reply #1 on: May 10 2016, 12:48 »
I did the homework on this for a long time, here is what I did on my Bavaria 49.

let me first say that the genny is a luxury to have and not a necessity, I needed it cause I was a live aboard in the UAE where I had to run 3X16,000btu air con units. if you don't intend on running such heavy 220v systems then I don't think it is worth the effort and money, you'll do much better with wind and solar.

I wouldn't go for the 3000rpm generators even though the idea is very encouraging considering the size, these generators run very hard and are more complicated with inverters and what not, basically they are pushed to their limits technically in order to be that compact. I had some experience with them before and I did not think they were very reliable. plus they can be loud. Therefore I prefer the 1500rpm gennys which I have used for a while with no issues, even when run hard with the heat we have here including the water temperature. the main issue with the 1500rpm is the size and especially when you want to install it with the sound shield.

I probably went overboard with this project but it worked out great for me. my boat has three heads, I stripped out the port aft head, sound shielded the space, constructed a small strong base for the genny and installed it there, it was also the perfect level relative to the water level for the genny. I also use the area as a small workshop and a store for all the tools and spares I have on board.

it was a great project and Im very happy with it, but to be honest if I don't run these heavy loads I rarely need the generator. I run everything from 6Xtrojan 105s (675ah bank) connected to 560W solar and an air breeze, for small 220v loads I have an inverter which does the work. Now that the boat is in Europe I rarely ever use the generator.

jorgen

• Swab
    • Ozprop Capital
  • Boat Model: cruiser 46
  • Boat Year: 2014
Re: Gen set for bavaria 46 cruiser
« Reply #2 on: May 27 2016, 07:15 »
Thank you Adib,
By now the Mase 6 has been installed, with a super silent exhaust splitting the gas and the water, and the waiting is for the electrician to connect the safety switches. The gen set is installed between the aft bedrooms, with ample room to work the back of the 55 hp Volvo. The MASE suits this install with regards to servicing, the panels on the generator can be opened with plenty of room all round to service or repairs.

We further soundproofed the area around the generator, there is virtually no vibration, in the lounge and forward cabin you cannot hear the generator other than a distant hum, and outside all you hear is the water coming out the exhaust, wish I had opted for the underwater exhaust.

I hear you wind and solar will be a great addition, and I may even add that to the mix one day!

If anyone would like a photo of the installation, let me know.

Cheers (off to the Whitsundays in 10 days time)

Jorgen