Author Topic: Spreader Antenna Mount  (Read 3546 times)

Harry Brown

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 39 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2007
Spreader Antenna Mount
« on: April 26 2016, 08:14 »
I'm looking at installing an AIS antenna on one of the Spreaders. Does anyone know of a clamp I can use for this please?
I've done some searching and came up with this so far, might work, I just don't know the spreader dimensions as I have not been up the mast yet.

Does anyone happen to have Spreader dimensions for a 39 cruiser?

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
Re: Spreader Antenna Mount
« Reply #1 on: April 26 2016, 10:13 »
Looking at the Force 4 Chandlery catalogue on page 59, there are a range of antenna mounts that can be mounted onto a flat surface where they can then be secured in place with bolts, self tapping screws, or with pop rivets, but have you thought of using an aerial splitter? With a splitter you can use your existing mast head mounted VHF aerial for both VHF and AIS use. Depending on whether your AIS is just a receiver or whether it transmits as well will determine how much you need to pay for the splitter. If your AIS only receives and does not transmit, then one of the lower cost splitters also advertised on the same page will probably suffice and most likely would cost no more than going down the route of a separate AIS antenna. It would also save the trouble of having to run an aerial cable up the mast as well as trying to find a suitable method of fixing your antenna to the spreader where it is likely to be damaged by your Genoa as well being a possible source of damage to the Genoa. If your AIS also transmits, then you will need a splitter costing around £200 such as, for example, the Raymarine AIS Splitter 100 which I have and which has worked extremely well, and completely seamlessly since it was installed over a year ago.

Neil

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 39
  • Boat Year: 2006
Re: Spreader Antenna Mount
« Reply #2 on: April 26 2016, 11:36 »
I have just commissioned my AIS (the older Raymarine AIS 500 which transmits and receives). I am sharing the aerial with the VHF and I do not have a splitter box. There didn't used to be a splitter box. The VHF reception is definitely not as sharp so I may have to consider either a separate aerial for the AIS or the splitter box (about £170). I note that there is a recommendation that the AIS aerial has to be 4 feet away from the VHF aerial, so I would be looking at mounting it on a spreader as the VHF aerial is on top of the mast. However I don't like the idea of mounting on the spreaders as they are swept back and tend to touch the mainsail at times so another fitting could cause chafe.

My plan is to live with the current situation and see if the reduced VHF reception can be tolerated. If not then plan B will be to get a splitter box. I noted that the AIS signal may also be degraded as I am not visible on Marine Traffic, though other boats can see my AIS transmission, though it is a low power transmitter of 2W. AIS reception from other vessels is fine on the Raymarine chart plotter.

I also have a B39 but unfortunately I can't help out with the spreader dimensions - I don't like it up there.