Author Topic: fitting side gates to a Bavaria 30 Cruiser  (Read 5995 times)

Sadlerfin

• Second Mate
fitting side gates to a Bavaria 30 Cruiser
« on: April 25 2016, 14:20 »
My partner is keen I fit side gates to our 30 cruiser due to its high freeboard and her little legs.

I've seen a few of these boats around with gates fitted but not sure if it was a retro fit or from new. Has anyone done this if so did you have to remove all the side lockers to enable to fit the stanchions.

Thanks  Derek

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
Re: fitting side gates to a Bavaria 30 Cruiser
« Reply #1 on: April 26 2016, 15:13 »
They were an option when new. Big job to retrofit as not only do you have to get them made (or possibly buy them from the factory via a dealer), but they need bolting through the deck and all the guardwires need remaking. They are useful, though.

Might be worth speaking to Clipper Marine if you are in UK as no doubt others have had the same idea in the past.

Impavidus

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria C 37
« Reply #2 on: April 26 2016, 16:59 »
My partner is keen I fit side gates to our 30 cruiser due to its high freeboard and her little legs.

I've seen a few of these boats around with gates fitted but not sure if it was a retro fit or from new. Has anyone done this if so did you have to remove all the side lockers to enable to fit the stanchions.

Thanks  Derek

Have you thought about a fender step? We have gates but the more vertically challenged half still cant reach the deck  :o  Fender step works great.

Ant
Visit our YouTube channel here:  https://www.youtube.com/c/SVImpavidusAntCidSailing

Mark_C

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 30
  • Boat Year: 2005
« Reply #3 on: April 26 2016, 18:50 »
For a cheap alternative solution, you could fit pelican hooks to your lifelines/guard wires so you can quickly release them and drop them down to deck level.  As a bonus it may make it easier to recover a MOB one day. 

Symphony

• Old Salt
« Reply #4 on: April 26 2016, 23:08 »
The advantage with boarding gates is that the supports are much more substantial than ordinary stanchions, and having 2 makes boarding easier. The latest 33 which I have has a double stanchion and lifeline back to the pushpit with snap shackles which works well, although you still would benefit from a fender step when boarding from a dinghy. I have a simple plastic kitchen step stool for use on pontoons.

nornie lees

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: 30 cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2007
« Reply #5 on: April 27 2016, 17:20 »
I fitted pelican clips as previous mentioned, did exactly same on a bav 30 2006. Only cost about £100 for both sides, work done by friendly rigger in Gosport.

Jam

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 ocean
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #6 on: April 27 2016, 21:38 »
Hi
I have gates on my Bavaria ocean but keep them closed as everyone pulls on stantions as shroud is no where close to heave them self up.  We manage well with a caravan step on pontoon, in marina and a fender step situated close the the shroud. Unless you have extremely strong stantions and a shroud near by I would give it a miss.
John

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #7 on: April 27 2016, 22:44 »
If you have a blank canvas, why not fit the side gates in way of the shrouds, then boarders at least have the chance of grabbing the shrouds as an alternative to the tops of the stanchions !!

MarkTheBike

• Old Salt
  • 34/2001 2cab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 34
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #8 on: April 28 2016, 11:29 »
Hi
I have gates on my Bavaria ocean but keep them closed as everyone pulls on stantions as shroud is no where close to heave them self up.  We manage well with a caravan step on pontoon, in marina and a fender step situated close the the shroud. Unless you have extremely strong stantions and a shroud near by I would give it a miss.
John

Have a thick, knotted rope that can be easily clipped to the handrail on the coachroof near the gates. Because it's obvious what it's for, people will tend to use the rope to pull themselves up, not the stanchions. Seems a shame to have a gate and not be able to use it...
ATB

Mark

Anthony

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 40
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #9 on: April 29 2016, 04:42 »
We have a plastic milk crate with solid painted plywood attached to the base. Inverted it makes a perfect step and when stowed in a locker, houses a gas bottle. Used everywhere in north Queensland Australia.

Sadlerfin

• Second Mate
« Reply #10 on: April 29 2016, 14:59 »
I fitted pelican clips as previous mentioned, did exactly same on a bav 30 2006. Only cost about £100 for both sides, work done by friendly rigger in Gosport.

Thank you for,your reply (and Mark) I see you also have a 30 Cruiser. May I ask how it works does the whole wire along the boat come lose if so can you tighten them? Did you have to strengthen the stantions ?
Am I pushing my luck to ask for a picture

Thanks again

Symphony

• Old Salt
« Reply #11 on: April 29 2016, 23:53 »
There are two ways of making gates. The most common is to have two closely spaced (about 60cm apart) stanchions with eyes welded on either side to take the end fittings of the guard wires. Ordinary stanchions will not be strong enough as they have to be sufficiently rigid to take the strain of the wires if you fall against them, so they have bracing legs to the deck. Between the two stanchions is a set of wires that have snap shackles so they can be removed. The second way is the one used on the current 33. This has a special double inverted U shaped stanchion each side in line with the front of the cockpit and the wires from there to the pushpit are detachable with snap shackles.

If you are doing both sides with the first type it is a big expensive job as you need 4 new stanchions and twelve new wires made up, plus the fittings. To attach the stanchions you will need  two new bases (assuming you can use two of the existing ones) and dismantle the panelling under the side decks to get access. Makes sense to try and buy the original Bavaria gate stanchions if you can. The second type is obviously easier as you just need one new stanchion and base each side and you can probably recut your existing wires.

Hope this helps.

Mark_C

• Swab
« Reply #12 on: May 03 2016, 03:48 »
Sadler, the pelican clips are at the pulpit.  The clips will obviously not pass through the eye of the next stanchion so you get about two metres of slack.  This is enough to drop the lines to the deck between any pair of adjacent stanchions. Thanks to the design of the pelican clips the wires are tight after refastening.  No strengthening required because you are only replacing a crimped fitting with a pelican clip.  The clips have threaded eyebolts attached so that I can make fine adjustments to the tension.

No picture I'm afraid because my iPad won't cooperate with this forum software.

Nigel

• R.I.P.
  • Old Salt
    • Dolcetto - My Boat
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 47
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #13 on: May 03 2016, 07:26 »

It should work, but you could use PhotoBucket.

I suggest that searching for "Pelican Hooks" may produce more results.
Nigel Mercier: Forum Administrator

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #14 on: May 03 2016, 09:17 »

My elderly iPad 2 running I.O.S 9.3.1 works fine with the forums software, including being able to add in photos. 

Sadlerfin

• Second Mate
« Reply #15 on: May 05 2016, 21:06 »
Thanks for,the replies I will go with the idea of pelican hooks on the pushpit

Regards Derek

Mark_C

• Swab
« Reply #16 on: May 09 2016, 23:59 »

It should work, but you could use PhotoBucket.

Yes, it should, it did, then it didn't, which is when I got fed up and gave up.  I copied from the camera roll, pasted into the reply text editor and the image didn't resize, was too big.  So I deleted it, edited the image in another app, copied again but now it refused to offer the paste option.  No amount of manipulating the cursor would let me paste.  I pasted the image in and out of all manner of other apps but couldn't get it into this editor.