Author Topic: Thermostat Mixer  (Read 2771 times)

landes_h

• Able Seaman
  • Blue sky sailor
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
  • Boat Year: 2003
Thermostat Mixer
« on: April 14 2016, 07:33 »
I want to add a Thermostat Mixer (like this: https://www.svb24.com/en/thermostat-mixer-valve.html ) to my hot water maker. Even I set the electric thermostat to 60 °C the water is sometimes boiling hot. I heard all newer Bavarias are delivered with this thermostat.

General question is, can I empty the boiler without emptying the entire water system. There is a hose/PVC pipe next to the engine bilge for draining the boiler. Where would the water go? Do I need to pump it out from the engine compartment? I just don't feel comfortable with water in the bilge or somewhere down there.

Any experience?
Greetings
Horst
Bavaria 38 / 2003 berth Portoroz, Slowenia

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
Re: Thermostat Mixer
« Reply #1 on: April 15 2016, 11:14 »
The cylinder is pressurized by the fresh water pump. Simply switch that off (after getting enough for the kettle so you can have tea breaks during the operation), then when you drain the cylinder, no more water will be pumped into it.

On mine, the cylinder sits right at the engine room bottom and the water would drain into the engine room bilge (not the engine bilge under the engine sump, which is separate). It's a bit of a pain to dry that space out and the cylinder sits right in it, so my plan is to dismount the cylinder (held by two brackets) and lift it up enough so it can drain into an oil pan from where I can pump it out. All the hoses are flexible enough to lift it up that much.

When you're done, open all taps (don't forget the transom shower if you have one), switch the pump on and close the taps when they stop sputtering air.
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

landes_h

• Able Seaman
  • Blue sky sailor
« Reply #2 on: April 15 2016, 11:40 »
Thanks for the good advice Yngmar. The tea kettle may stay where it is, I'm from Bavaria, you know what I consume during breaks  ;).
I hope the terminals at the cylinder will open easily, lots of chalk and corrosion built up over the years (ex Charter Boat). My cylinder is under the bed in the port side aft cabin, rather easily accessible, but drainage water kind of disappears into nowhere.
Maybe I do this job first before filling the tanks for this season. Boat is still hibernating, but not for much longer.
Maybe I'll post some pics, once the Job is done.
Greetings
Horst

paulemeier1

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 37.2 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #3 on: April 16 2016, 11:52 »
there a I think 20 Liter in the cylinder? kettle? boiler? My way to do is to oben the cold water at the next T Cross. But the now oben part in a small plastic cup. also a 12v pump out of camping . I pump it into my "pütz" an put it outside or in the bathroom wash. I have to open the hot water on the upper side of the cylinder to let air in it, it fastend the run of water.

If you have any further questions give me a PM. I think my german is quite better than my pure english. I am from NRW LOL

landes_h

• Able Seaman
  • Blue sky sailor
« Reply #4 on: April 17 2016, 10:37 »
Thanks @paulemeier1 . Good idea to drain at the t-joint. All tanks are still empty from winter storage, so I will do this work before filling the system. I don't believe I will flood the boat inside and drown  :kewl.
All the best for you in NRW. In Slowenia, where my boat is, we have already sunny >20°C so working on (or in) the boat is more fun.
Greetings
Horst