Author Topic: Long term storage ideas?  (Read 4002 times)

Stuart

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria Cruiser 42
  • Boat Year: 2005
Long term storage ideas?
« on: April 13 2016, 13:32 »
Hi All, We will be storing our boat on the hard for about 20 months in Florida.The boat will be plugged in, with a dehumidifier running and regular inspections.
My questions are, what would be the best thing to do regarding the water tanks and the diesel tank? In the past it's only been 6 to 7 months, so I just add bleach to the water and add a stabilizer to the fuel, then top up almost to full allowing for expansion in the heat. This length of time has me thinking ???.
Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on this matter.
Cheers

Stuart

ZhuHai

Re: Long term storage ideas?
« Reply #1 on: April 18 2016, 20:48 »
We just did a 15 months storage. It is in Greece so less humid I guess than Florida.

Before leaving:
Engine oil changed as well as all filters (oil, 2 fuel).
Purge of engine salt water circuit with fresh water.
Grotamar in the diesel tank half full.
Aquaclean in the water tanks which were nearly empty.
All openings closed to avoid air circulation.
Windows covered to avoid light inside the boat.
We let solar panels on to keep the batteries fully charged (mppt controller)
Sails and lines cleaned then stored inside the boat

When we came back 2 weeks ago the boat was dry, fresh, no mold/mould at all. Engine started at first attempt.

PS: I forgot the most important. Black water tank and circuit cleaned...

Stuart

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria Cruiser 42
  • Boat Year: 2005
« Reply #2 on: April 20 2016, 00:34 »
Thanks ZhuHai

We,ve never left the boat this long before :'( so any suggestions are much appreciated. I'll see if I can find the additives over hear.
Cheers

Stuart

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #3 on: April 20 2016, 07:43 »
Not sure that preventing air circulation is a good idea, usually it is recommended to ensure as much air circulation as possible while keeping all water out. Also dehumidifiers while they do a good job, have been known to catch fire, and at which point your insurer might wish to argue about liability.
For long term storage, and knowing that Bavs have a tendency to leak water through deck fittings etc., I'd be inclined to have the mast taken down and laid horizontally across the top of the boat where with the spreaders and valuables removed it can be used to support a tarpaulin over the boat. I'd also drop the guard rails and take out the stanchions so that the tarpaulin could hang over the side without wearing through. The tarp., could be secured under the boat, and its presence over the boat should prevent water leakage via the deck fittings. Keep the mast valuables such as aerials, tri-light, wind transducer etc., locked away within the cabin. Keeping your boat dry inside is important, but allowing air to circulate to prevent mould is also important. However my boat is not in Florida where you have occasional hurricanes to contend with so you need to minimise windage and ensure your boat is very securely tied down. For boats kept in the Mediterranean be aware that it can get very cold indeed over winter such that you should consider precautions against possible freezing.

ZhuHai

« Reply #4 on: April 20 2016, 07:54 »
Stuart,

Aquaclean is from yachticon.de.  Advantage compare to bleach is no taste or odour (no chlorine).

Grotamar is from schuelke.com. There are 2 kinds of Grotamar 71 and 82. I have 71 which is the original product. I think 82 is more recent (1982?) and for diesel fuel with a percentage of biofuel (vegetable oil) within.

Similar products are certainly available in the US.

Cheers

ZhuHai

ZhuHai

« Reply #5 on: April 20 2016, 08:01 »
@Salty

Air circulation will bring humidity in the boat so as you said a dehumidifier might be needed (not an option in our case). It also bring fresh air for the mold.

In our case, having no air circulation worked perfectly. May be the dry Greek air helps it.

ZhuHai

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #6 on: April 20 2016, 14:54 »

........ so as you said a dehumidifier might be needed (not an option in our case)..

No, it wasn't me that suggested a dehumidifier, someone else did !

What I said was "while they do a good job, (dehumidifiers) have been known to catch fire....," and it is the catching fire bit that I wanted to draw to the attention of readers. Also, as I said, it is at that point that your insurer may wish to argue about liability. So if you have no objection to your pride and joy going up in flames, the neighbouring boats getting scorched and their owners holding you liable while your insurer says its your problem and nothing to do with them and potentially leaving you with the cost of reparations, then that is your decision. I would suggest that the risk is one that a prudent owner would prefer to avoid.