Author Topic: Raymarine C70 Chartplotter not working  (Read 5923 times)

Bavnav

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 30 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2006
Raymarine C70 Chartplotter not working
« on: March 28 2016, 20:37 »
Hi. The chartplotter C70 on our Bav. 30c. does not come on - no screen. However, when I switched the GPS. switch on the distribution panel EWS201. the screen lights up with various coloured vertical thin lines and nothing else. The last time I had it on, a couple of months ago it was fine. I did notice a misty patch on the screen a few weeks ago which I thought may be condensation - I did not switch it on then, this time before switching on I checked and there was no sign of it.
Any ideas would be appreciated. If I need to send away for repair, would it be better to buy a replacement plotter and what type?

Spirit of Mary

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
  • Boat Year: 2003
Re: Raymarine C70 Chartplotter not working
« Reply #1 on: March 28 2016, 21:41 »
The C70 plotter was a popular item on the Dutch Bavaria forum. I think out of my mind, the connecter of the screen is sensible for not good contact. Sometimes it helps if you press on the screen in some edge. Maybe more owners on this forum have also experience. I will wait for respons. If not I will explore for you on the Dutch forum.
Ger

Aquila

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36 Avantgarde
  • Boat Year: 2012
« Reply #2 on: March 28 2016, 21:54 »
Yes you are correct, the loose connection is normally the screen problem, overtime the push fit connection comes loose.  The connection is located in the bottom right corner if I remember correctly,  you can give it a bang in that area but it will only last for a time.

What Raymarine engineers do is open up the unit and superglue the connector so it does not move in future.  I did this on my previous boat,carefully striped down the unit and disconnected and reconnected the screen terminal with glue.  One bit of advice is be very careful taking of the grey plastic bezel as the lugs can break easily.  If you look at the manual it tells you where to insert screwdriver to release plastic trim.  It's a rewarding job and will cure the problem.

tiger79

• Old Salt
  • 2014 Cruiser 37
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 37
  • Boat Year: 2014
« Reply #3 on: March 28 2016, 21:59 »
Yes, it's repairable, fairly easily.  There's a multicore ribbon connector which needs re-seating.

dawntreader

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria37
« Reply #4 on: March 29 2016, 08:32 »
The C70 plotter was a popular item on the Dutch Bavaria forum. I think out of my mind, the connecter of the screen is sensible for not good contact. Sometimes it helps if you press on the screen in some edge. Maybe more owners on this forum have also experience. I will wait for respons. If not I will explore for you on the Dutch forum.
Ger

You may want to have a look at this post too http://www.bavariayacht.info/forum/index.php/topic,1092.msg5918.html#msg5918

Bavnav

• First Mate
« Reply #5 on: March 29 2016, 09:15 »
Wow! Thanks everyone for the brilliant feedback. I will certainly look into this when we have some decent settled weather.
Fair winds,
Bavnav. :)

Ziffius

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 39
  • Boat Year: 2005
« Reply #6 on: March 29 2016, 09:31 »
happens a lot to my C70 screen - i just push on the right side of screen. Haven't got round to taking  it apart for more permanent fix yet.

Bavnav

• First Mate
« Reply #7 on: March 29 2016, 19:52 »
I tried tapping and pushing all around the screen this afternoon, sometimes the screen flashed momentarily, however, it made no difference. When we have a dry day I will open the display to check connections. There is one puzzle though. Why does the screen show different coloured vertical striations on the screen. The striations are only visible when the GPS. switch is made on the main distribution panel by the nav. table? With the GPS. switch off and the main instrument switches on the chartplotter stays dead. Does the chartplotter get its supply via this switch?
Fairwinds,
Bavnav.

Aquila

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36 Avantgarde
  • Boat Year: 2012
« Reply #8 on: March 29 2016, 22:48 »
Don't know the answer to your question but the different colour lines is all to do with the strap connection referred to earlier.

Bavnav

• First Mate
« Reply #9 on: March 30 2016, 23:02 »
OK. I will wait for a dry day to check the connections.
Fair winds,
Bavnav.