Author Topic: Webasto diesel heater clicking and does not fire up.  (Read 5558 times)

Bavnav

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 30 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2006
Hi.Just returned from the yacht, Bav. 30c.(2006/7 The diesel heater was working, however, it stopped on Sunday night after it had been on for about an hour and a half. I rotated the knob to off and tried several times without success. I noticed a distinctive clicking sound as though the diesel pump was trying to pump the diesel. I tried again today, on one occasion it fired and ran for about 15 mins. and went off again with a clicking sound as in the previous night.
I believe it is a Webasto3500 model, basic with a rotary knob. I noticed the flashing light, about 5 quick flashes. light out and then repeating in same sequence - error code. I am wondering if there is a blockage in feed to burner. I am not sure if there is a filter before the burner?
Any ideas would be appreciated.
Regards,
Bavnav.

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
Re: Webasto diesel heater clicking and does not fire up.
« Reply #1 on: March 28 2016, 20:54 »
Sounds to me like it is being starved of fuel, have you had the fuel system opened up at any time over winter, could it be that air is getting in to the system? Have a look at the fuel line from the heater pump through to the heater. If your fuel line is the same as mine it will be a thin clear plastic tube, and it should appear full of fuel. If it's not full of fuel then air is getting in to the system and if the heater does not register a flame within the combustion chamber for a limited period of time it will automatically shut down. I'm told that getting fuel back in to the heater fuel line, can be quite exasperating because of the automatic shut down system which then allows the fuel to run back to the tank on account of shutting down too soon every time.

Bavnav

• First Mate
« Reply #2 on: March 29 2016, 09:37 »
Thank you Salty for the suggestion. I will certainly look into this when the weather settles. It sound to me that the fuel may not be reaching the burner. I initially thought fuel starvation, perhaps caused by clogged jets in burner or if they have one a blocked fuel filter. This may indicate the dreaded bug in diesel as it is supplied from the same tank (I assume). I also, ran the engine for an hour to check fuel feed to engine - ran OK. Do you know if the fuel has a separate filter for the heater?
Fair winds,
Bavnav.

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #3 on: March 29 2016, 10:49 »
Do you know if the fuel has a separate filter for the heater?

Hi Bavnav, the answer to your question is that there may be a filter fitted. The installation guide line suggests that a filter should be fitted if the fuel is likely to be polluted, so much will depend on what the installer decided at the time. At the moment I don't know exactly where my heater fuel supply is connected save that if my main fuel valve is shut, then in due course the heater will run out of fuel. If that is what has happened to you, then it may take several attempts at starting to get the heater to run reliably. Clearly my fuel supply to the heater comes off the engine fuel supply line somewhere, but whether it is before or after the pre fuel filter I could not say, - but I hope to find out sometime soon !

paulemeier1

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 37.2 Cruiser
« Reply #4 on: March 29 2016, 11:30 »
did sehr is many white smoke if you start it?

I hade just the same, same heater same ship out of 2006.

You have to repair the complete heater. The piece which give the fuel a big place to come with air and so can burn ist damaged, you also need a new seal. about 100 . You have to clean all peaces exactly and control that the burning room is not bad. the are allowed to use for 10 years, but doesn't matter, my last one work vor 20 years. if it is damaged there could be smoke in the warmair, you may die in the ship.

sorry for my bad english

Bavnav

• First Mate
« Reply #5 on: March 29 2016, 19:38 »
Thanks everyone for the help. I will need to contact a Webasto dealer, as I have little knowledge about these.
Fair winds,
Bavnav.

Impavidus

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria C 37
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #6 on: March 30 2016, 14:13 »
Hi. Bavnav.

You need 3 things to make it work air, fuel heat

The clicking in the solenoid of the pump. Seek it out and look if when clicking there is derv in the lines (fuel). IE is the pump feeding the heater. Follow the fuel line back from the pump to the tank. If the unit has been professionally fitted there should be an in line fuel filter between the tank and the pump. These are normally clear and there should be fuel flowing in the filter when the pump is running. If not the filter is blocked or the supply tube in the tank is; or the fuel level is too low to reach the supply tube??? IE you ran out of fuel.

Is the fan running to supply air to the heater or the intake hose kinked or filter blocked? (AIR)

If none of the above its the glow pug for sure. (Heat)  Even if the heater is pretty clogged up it will ignite, if the plug is working, fuel is getting in and the fan running.
Yes it may smoke or roar or burn unevenly, cough burp and wheeze. Or a combination of all these symptoms.

Disconnect the power open the case and remove the glow plug. Clean the plug with Oven cleaner. Check its working buy applying voltage (don't let it glow just a woft of smoke) This should tell you its working. Re fit it; or replace it if it does not work.

Its unusual for these to need a complete rebuild, if they do, you can buy a kit and do it yourself.

But, it is normally its the plug................

Once a year run it on Parafin at full bore for an hour. I don't know why but this trick seems to keep them working forever.

Hope this helps

Best regards

Ant   

Visit our YouTube channel here:  https://www.youtube.com/c/SVImpavidusAntCidSailing

Bavnav

• First Mate
« Reply #7 on: March 30 2016, 22:59 »
Cheers Ant. I will have another look. Do you know if they have a separate fuel tank.
Fair winds,
Bavnav.

Impavidus

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria C 37
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #8 on: March 31 2016, 19:13 »
Cheers Ant. I will have another look. Do you know if they have a separate fuel tank.
Fair winds,
Bavnav.
Bavnav
Normally not, the feed is taken off the main fuel tank but some boats have a separate tank. If you don't have two derv tank fillers then its running from the main tank. Marine diesel is essentially heating oil with additives.

I posted a how-to on heating there is some info in there that may help. Follow the link below and download the PDF. Your heater will be the same basic configuration.

http://www.bavariayacht.info/forum/index.php/topic,1016.msg5428.html#msg5428

Hope this helps.

Best regards

Ant. 
Visit our YouTube channel here:  https://www.youtube.com/c/SVImpavidusAntCidSailing