Author Topic: saildrive anode bolts  (Read 2978 times)

Odysseus

• Old Salt
  • Bill and Linda
    • www.scanmar-odysseus.co.uk
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
  • Boat Year: 2006
saildrive anode bolts
« on: March 24 2016, 12:57 »
Its that time of year again and I will share with you a trick I have used for years. The anode on the leg is attached with 2 Phillips headed bolts. They are notorious for stipping when trying to undo them.

So fit 2 hex headed bolts M6 x 16mm.

You can buy these from tool station for £2.57 for 50, your volvo agent will charge you up to £2.59 each for a Phillips headed bolt. Its a  no brainer.

Hope this helps.

Odysseus
Bav38
Odysseus

Spirit of Mary

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Year: 2003
Re: saildrive anode bolts
« Reply #1 on: March 24 2016, 14:31 »
Its that time of year again and I will share with you a trick I have used for years. The anode on the leg is attached with 2 Phillips headed bolts. They are notorious for stipping when trying to undo them.

So fit 2 hex headed bolts M6 x 16mm.

You can buy these from tool station for £2.57 for 50, your volvo agent will charge you up to £2.59 each for a Phillips headed bolt. Its a  no brainer.

Hope this helps.

Odysseus
Bav38

Hi,
I see on the bolt head that you use A2 (304 SS) quality,. Also the plastic bag shows this. This is too low quality SS for seawater. It should be A4 quality which equals 316 SS!
However the idea to use internal hex bolts or torx is good.

Ger

Odysseus

• Old Salt
  • Bill and Linda
    • www.scanmar-odysseus.co.uk
  • Boat Year: 2006
Re: saildrive anode bolts
« Reply #2 on: March 24 2016, 14:45 »
They only need to last one year max, not seen any deterioration on any of the bolts I have used in 7 years of doing it. Your choice.
Odysseus
Odysseus