Author Topic: Replacement of throughulls and seacocks  (Read 4406 times)

Lyra

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: B36
  • Boat Year: 2004
Replacement of throughulls and seacocks
« on: March 14 2016, 20:20 »
Last summer I replaced the heads in/out seacocks with new bronze type.
The process is described here - http://www.sylyra.com/seacocks_e.php
S/Y Lyra
B36 / 2004

patprice

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Swanson 36 and Bavaria 42
  • Boat Year: 2000
Re: Replacement of throughulls and seacocks
« Reply #1 on: March 14 2016, 22:20 »
Looks like a great job.
How about a bit of gel coat on the inside. Would look like new!

Lyra

• Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: March 15 2016, 05:39 »
How about a bit of gel coat on the inside. Would look like new!
Not sure if gelcoat will adhere to epoxy. Maybe a layer or two of pigmented epoxy (this is what I did when I repaired the windlass support that completely broke - will post the description for this when I get to it).
S/Y Lyra
B36 / 2004

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #3 on: March 15 2016, 10:17 »
A coat of International Danboline paint would brighten it up and have it looking like new, and it's a lot easier to use and apply than gel coat. The attached photo shows an area on a friends boat where he was in the process of having a bow thruster fitted. The area around the tunnel had been freshly painted with Danboline which was all bright and shiny until he and I decided to add a wooden collar around the tunnel where it passed through a centreline bulkhead. This was in order to prevent flexing of the tunnel under the weight of the thruster motor in bad weather, and in drilling the holes for the screws, some dust was present in the deeper part of this space which has detracted from the overall appearance and cleanliness that the Danboline provided.

Lyra

• Old Salt
« Reply #4 on: March 15 2016, 11:02 »
Thanks, will see if i can source it
S/Y Lyra
B36 / 2004

patprice

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Swanson 36 and Bavaria 42
« Reply #5 on: March 15 2016, 21:00 »
Yes I think you are right. Some time back I modified some engine beds and used epoxy with colour.

Nigel

• R.I.P.
  • Old Salt
    • Dolcetto - My Boat
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 47
« Reply #6 on: March 16 2016, 09:16 »
What is so special about Danboline? I've just used normal gloss paint.
Nigel Mercier: Forum Administrator

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #7 on: March 16 2016, 09:52 »
What is so special about Danboline? I've just used normal gloss paint.
As far as I know, it is designed particularly for enclosed spaces such as bilge areas, it has a high opacity in order to cover previous colours with just a single coat, and having attended a seminar at International Paints when they had a base on Tyneside back in the seventies, I'd say it most likely contains an anti-yellowing agent in order to maintain its white appearance. I'm guessing that at around £20 per litre it's also probably more expensive than ordinary gloss paint. The photo in my previous posting shows what a single coating can do,  in this case it covers a previously relatively clean cream coloured substrata except for the tunnel which was basic un-coloured GRP. My impression of the now painted surface, is that the coating is quite thick with an almost gel coat like appearance. Other than that you pay your money and make your own choice. Comparing one against the other I'll go for Danboline when I do the bilge areas on my boat, though if I hadn't seen the results first hand, I might have been tempted to use ordinary paint.

JEN-et-ROSS

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 Lagoon
  • Boat Year: 1990
« Reply #8 on: March 18 2016, 20:20 »
We've used Danboline for many years, I don't know what's in it but the end result is excellent, it dries quickly, covers a multitude of imperfections, lasts for years, doesn't 'run' unless you're really careless and it doesn't smell too bad in an enclosed space, ( tho' I really wouldn't recommend breathing the fumes in ) OK, it costs a bit more but we wouldn't use any other type. :)