Author Topic: Insulation on fridge lid fallen off.  (Read 3229 times)

Craig

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2009
Insulation on fridge lid fallen off.
« on: March 14 2016, 00:53 »
The white plastic (so called) insulation on the lid of my fridge fell off. The glue has given way. The boat is a 2008 Bavaria 38.

I can easily reglue it but the question relates to this "insulation".

The white plastic insulation is hollow, no foam or any other material in there. There is a hole moulded into the plastic where I could squirt some polyurethane foam.

My question is whether I should just leave it hollow or whether I should fill with more insulation. Would it make much difference. Have other owners considered this issue.

Craig
"Shirley Valentine"
Gold Coast
Australia

blue-max

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: ocean 47
  • Boat Year: 2000
Re: Insulation on fridge lid fallen off.
« Reply #1 on: March 20 2016, 08:59 »
Interesting. Following your post I unscrewed the plastic lid on the inside of cover. It was empty! Never had any insulation. Now I am thinking what to fill it with. There is not much depth perhaps 2cm so thinking some sort os space age silver quilt. Alternatively replace lid with something deeper to hold more insulation

Harlequin

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Vision 44
  • Boat Year: 2007
« Reply #2 on: January 14 2017, 06:20 »
Funny, mine has just dropped off as well (2007 Vision 44) after I removed the catch to see if I could fix the broken spring (I can't). Like you, I found it hollow, even though it obviously has a hole intended for foam injection - pretty useless. I've bought a spray can of Bostic Expandafoam to fill the lid, then glue it back in place.

Anyone come up with other measures to increase the insulation around the deep (top-access) fridge? Any ideas appreciated...

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #3 on: January 14 2017, 08:07 »
Funny, mine has just dropped off as well ..........Ooops!!

.......Anyone come up with other measures to increase the insulation around the deep (top-access) fridge? Any ideas appreciated...

I bought some 12mm closed cell self adhesive insulating polywhatsername foam which I'm in the process of fitting, job not yet complete, and may be a waste of time. Being closed cell it won't absorb condensation and should be possible to wipe it clean. I'll get a thin sheet of hard plastic to cover over the foam that gets stuck to the bottom of the fridge in order to protect it from heavy items.

Harlequin

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Vision 44
  • Boat Year: 2007
« Reply #4 on: January 15 2017, 03:23 »
I bought some 12mm closed cell self adhesive insulating polywhatsername foam which I'm in the process of fitting, job not yet complete, and may be a waste of time. Being closed cell it won't absorb condensation and should be possible to wipe it clean. I'll get a thin sheet of hard plastic to cover over the foam that gets stuck to the bottom of the fridge in order to protect it from heavy items.

Sounds good. Can you post any pics of the job?

I was planning on at least fitting insulation in the bottom of the fridge. Something simple, along the lines of a layer of waterproof foam (eg 2 layers of yoga-mat, cut to size) topped by a plastic cover. Maybe sealed round the edge with 3M to make it semi-permanent. Will have to wait 'til I'm back aboard next month, but will post some pics then.

Any other ideas, particularly wrt getting access to add some external insulation...?

Jim