Author Topic: Bavaria Cruiser 33 . Water standing in transom rubber  (Read 7000 times)

ANTREVELL

• Able Seaman
My transom rubber and fibreglass lip gets really filthy and stained where the water lays .
It does not appear to be able to drain away.  Has anybody got a solution to this problem
Any suggestions would be gratefully received

Regards Tony   Pegatha

tiger79

• Old Salt
  • 2014 Cruiser 37
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 37
  • Boat Year: 2014
Re: Bavaria Cruiser 33 . Water standing in transom rubber
« Reply #1 on: March 13 2016, 18:34 »
I noticed the same on my Cruiser 37 the other day - a large green stain.  I guess the answer is to clean it!

ANTREVELL

• Able Seaman
« Reply #2 on: March 13 2016, 20:37 »
I do agree and yes I do regularly. But it seems a poor design not to have some kind of drain so water does not accumulate . It only has to rain and water will appear there and of course waves if a bit rough. I was hoping someone may have installed a drain or similiar.

Regards Tony

MarkTheBike

• Old Salt
  • 34/2001 2cab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 34
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #3 on: March 13 2016, 21:34 »
Hi both

Our B34/2001 has a S/S fitting over the lowest point of the scoop rubber with a drain hole in it - I assume fitted as standard. I'm down there this week so will take a photo and post here. I'm sure it would be retro-fittable. The hole clogs occasionally but is easy to clear and there's no green stain. Might do the trick for you. I'll get dimensions too so I'm sure an S/S fabricator would be able to make one to suit.

Cheers
ATB

Mark

Konan the Bavarian

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: 37 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #4 on: March 14 2016, 04:48 »
The stainless steel u piece is available thru myyacht, and I presume other brokerages.

http://www.myyacht.com.au/7/on-line-store/transom-clips-gunwale-clips

Its cost $80 (Australian)

Steven
SV Konan the Bavarian

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #5 on: March 14 2016, 09:39 »
Assume it is the latest 33, same as mine. I also get the stain. It is a different construction to the earlier models which do have a drain hole in the joining clip, but that is not possible with the newer design. Just about to clean mine out when the water gets reinstated on our new pontoons. Then a quick blast with the pressure washer will clear it.

MarkTheBike

• Old Salt
  • 34/2001 2cab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 34
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #6 on: March 14 2016, 19:53 »
Thanks for the info, Symphony; I didn't realise there was a difference. Well, I'll get the photo and dimensions and post here anyway...

*update - 20/03/2016, haven't been down there yet but haven't forgotten....
ATB

Mark

ANTREVELL

• Able Seaman
« Reply #7 on: March 18 2016, 20:23 »
Thank you for your replies. I have been looking at other makes of boat. It would appear most just have a hole drilled which goes right through to the hull so the water just drains away.
I am very tempted to do the same drilling the hole just in front of the rubber buffer. As the transom is not normally in the water I cannot see a problem.  But I would appreciate any comments .

Regards Tony

sidtowe

• Swab
  • Boat Model: B 33 Cruiser
« Reply #8 on: June 29 2017, 23:22 »
I pour a small amount of bleach down each side of the transom rubber from time to time - works well.
Sidney Towe

tckearney

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: B42
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #9 on: June 30 2017, 12:22 »
My B42 has a drain hole, no stainless or anything else.  It looks original but may have been added by previous owner.  Anybody know if this would have been original build on a 2000 model.

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #10 on: June 30 2017, 20:08 »
.............. I have been looking at other makes of boat. It would appear most just have a hole drilled.............. I am very tempted to do the same drilling the hole just in front of the rubber buffer. As the transom is not normally in the water I cannot see a problem.  But I would appreciate any comments.

Regards Tony

Hi Tony, you don't say what year your boat was built so it's difficult to give a specific answer to the problem. However you mention that the transom is not normally in the water, though on my B36/2002 with an MD2020 engine, the lower part of the transom is very frequently under water, particularly while motoring. I suspect your boat is somewhat newer, but it would be worthwhile to take a look over the stern while motoring to check where the water is in relation to the lower part of the transom, and preferably before you start drilling holes. The change in trim on my boat is entirely due to the leverage from the prop at the bottom end of the sail-drive, and if that can happen with a modest 19 horses, then on boats with more powerful engines it is all the more likely to occur.

Symphony

• Old Salt
« Reply #11 on: June 30 2017, 22:53 »
.............. I have been looking at other makes of boat. It would appear most just have a hole drilled.............. I am very tempted to do the same drilling the hole just in front of the rubber buffer. As the transom is not normally in the water I cannot see a problem.  But I would appreciate any comments.

Regards Tony

Hi Tony, you don't say what year your boat was built so it's difficult to give a specific answer to the problem. However you mention that the transom is not normally in the water, though on my B36/2002 with an MD2020 engine, the lower part of the transom is very frequently under water, particularly while motoring. I suspect your boat is somewhat newer, but it would be worthwhile to take a look over the stern while motoring to check where the water is in relation to the lower part of the transom, and preferably before you start drilling holes. The change in trim on my boat is entirely due to the leverage from the prop at the bottom end of the sail-drive, and if that can happen with a modest 19 horses, then on boats with more powerful engines it is all the more likely to occur.

I have the same boat - the latest 33/4. The transom design is very different from the earlier boats like yours (and my old 37). Not just the 33 but all the Farr designed boats. The transom has a drop down platform and the cockpit drains through the gap around the bottom of the platform when it is up. The rubber bumper is one piece and forms a ledge under the platform. The water that lays in this gap and causes the problem runs off the cockpit floor - nothing to do with the boat under way.

The problem is worse in the winter because of the greater amount of rain plus atmospheric fallout. As I suggested earlier it can be cleaned by jetting water into the gap, particularly easy if you moor stern in. I had my boat lifted today and had the area blasted with the pressure washer after cleaning the slime on the bottom.

Can't think of any DIY mod to improve drainage of the gap - just a minor design fault.

ANTREVELL

• Able Seaman
« Reply #12 on: July 01 2017, 21:23 »
Hi all
My boat is a cruiser 33 2014 model.  I bit the bullet last year before launching and drilled a hole from the hull into the gap then poured fibreglass and the gelcoat allowing both to pour through the hole . So far I have not had any problems and I do not get any water or staining on the stern rubber as no water now lays in the trough.
The part I drilled through in the lip of the hull and topside there was no void I drilled into and hopefully the fibreglass and gelcoat will seal the fibreglass . For me it has been truly successful

Regards tony Cruiser 33 Pegatha

Symphony

• Old Salt
« Reply #13 on: July 01 2017, 23:01 »
Thanks for that. I have my boat out for a week so will do the same.

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #14 on: July 03 2017, 08:38 »
I'm glad it worked out Tony.
I suppose an alternative, if there is room for it, might have been to countersink, and glass in, a small skin fitting flush with the bottom of the trough. Then to put another similar skin fitting slightly lower down in the transom with some reinforced hose connecting between the two fittings in much the same way that cockpit drains were fitted years ago.

Symphony

• Old Salt
« Reply #15 on: July 03 2017, 10:25 »
That would not work. The water drains out of the cockpit through the gap round the drop down platform, then down about 20cm of vertical transom into the trough which is 3-4cm deep. Water also drains from the deck down the inside of the rubber. The trough is edged with the rubber bumper so there is a lip. The water eventually gets over the lip and into the sea, but inevitably the lip retains water in the trough plus vegitation and fallout dirt.

The hole through the GRP which is about 12mm thick at the bottom should solve it. We shall see as i am doing it this week.

GeoffV

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bav 37 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2016
« Reply #16 on: July 03 2017, 16:24 »
That would not work. The water drains out of the cockpit through the gap round the drop down platform, then down about 20cm of vertical transom into the trough which is 3-4cm deep. Water also drains from the deck down the inside of the rubber. The trough is edged with the rubber bumper so there is a lip. The water eventually gets over the lip and into the sea, but inevitably the lip retains water in the trough plus vegitation and fallout dirt.

The hole through the GRP which is about 12mm thick at the bottom should solve it. We shall see as i am doing it this week.

Look forward to your comments after doing it as I am coming out first week of Agust and will do the same if yours goes well (2016 C37)

patprice

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Swanson 36 and Bavaria 42
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #17 on: July 04 2017, 11:06 »
My B42 has a drain hole, no stainless or anything else.  It looks original but may have been added by previous owner.  Anybody know if this would have been original build on a 2000 model.

I also have a B42/2000 and she has a +/- 6 mm drain hole. Does the job with occasional blocking. Original ? cannot tell but I have no reason to think otherwise. All appears to work quite well unless one reverses with speed into a wall. I am sure that would test things.

Symphony

• Old Salt
« Reply #18 on: July 07 2017, 22:10 »
Cleaned the trough out today. Amazing how much crud there was in it, and of course baked hard with this hot weather. Drilled a 9mm hole upwards on the centreline just behind the rubber. That will be the biggest hole you could make. coated the inside with gel coat as I was doing a couple of repairs, but epoxy would do just as well. Drains well with the hose running in the trough to clean the muck out.

GeoffV

• First Mate
« Reply #19 on: July 08 2017, 08:53 »
Cleaned the trough out today. Amazing how much crud there was in it, and of course baked hard with this hot weather. Drilled a 9mm hole upwards on the centreline just behind the rubber. That will be the biggest hole you could make. coated the inside with gel coat as I was doing a couple of repairs, but epoxy would do just as well. Drains well with the hose running in the trough to clean the muck out.

Thanks for reporting back. I will do the same in a couple of weeks when I come out.

Another problem solved  :tbu

canuck

• Swab
  • Boat Model: 37cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2017
« Reply #20 on: July 11 2017, 06:31 »
Yes - as per the other posts, the hole through the fibreglass works.  My new '17 Bav 37 was done by the dealer before delivery, and the hole filled with gelcoat to protect the edges. Don't know why the factory does not do this.
Now - if I could only keep the white PVC moulding clean!! Any suggestions ??

GeoffV

• First Mate
« Reply #21 on: August 10 2017, 10:21 »
Well the boat was out for a couple of days and I can report that with yesterdays downpours the hole in the transom performed brilliantly. But, cleaning out the green goey gunge out first was a pain.

It was a pleasure to watch the lift-in in the rain last night with the single jet of water from the transom!