Author Topic: Autopilot options question?  (Read 7129 times)

simonr

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 32
  • Boat Year: 2002
Autopilot options question?
« on: April 23 2012, 19:08 »
We have a Bavaria 32 (2002) and are looking at the options for replacing our autopilot from a wheel mounted ST4000 system.

We already have a Raymarine ST70 head unit (ebay bargain not yet fitted) and C120W multifunction plotter (that does not live on board when we are not there!) and i am interested if anyone has fitted a below deck control system either linear drive or other plus SPX10 (or similar), not totally sure of all the options hence throwing the question out to see if anyone else has done anything similar on a B32.

Interested to read any and all responses

Thanks

Anthony

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 40
  • Boat Year: 2001
Re: Autopilot options question?
« Reply #1 on: April 23 2012, 23:14 »
I retro fitted an autpilot to my 2001 Bavaria 40.
A  motor drive was obtained from Lewmar UK which fitted perfectly the mounting plate and holes of the steering pedestal below deck. The chain was supplied and perfectly mated the second sprocket of the chain-cable Whitlock steering system. Because Lewmar now supply a bigger motor it was necessary to cut out a bit of the fibreglass nacelle that hangs down into the rear cabin; this was then covered in a piece of plastic sponge and trimmed with white leatherette fabric and simple retaining screws.
The only confounding issue was how to mount the rudder reference sending unit, until I was advised to mount it upside down under the cockpit floor; I attached it to the rudder post via a simple elbow backet held in place by cable clamps.
The seastate compass reference sending unit needs to be mounted low in the boat as centrally as possible... I found attaching it in a bilge chamber just below the floorboard was perfect.
A good home for the central computing unit was under the nav desk against the rear wall, well away from moisture and any damage, and neatly close to the electrics.
Hope this helps
Anthony
Simpatico
Brisbane
Australia

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #2 on: April 25 2012, 23:42 »
The Wheel drive unit is more than adequate in power for a 32, but it is not the strongest bit of kit. However, it is cheap (realtively) and simple to fit using the the special mounting kit. You will need to check with Raymarine whether your head will drive it, but you also need the course computer and the fluxgate compass, so you may find the cost buying the bits as much as buying the whole kit - currently+/- £1000. The alternative is the linear drive model, but you are then talking nearer £3k installed.

The lewmar drive Anthony mentioned is another possibility, but that is even more expensive than the linear drive, and not sure there is enough room under the pedestal to fit it. There isn't on my 37.

Hope this helps

Cat2

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 32
  • Boat Year: 2004
« Reply #3 on: May 24 2012, 22:40 »
I too have a Bav 32, to which I  have  fitted the  standard wheel unit.
Would have preferred the  motor  drive, good  but  expensive  and  very  heavy on the  power.
Next option was the  ram, but I reckoned there  might  not  be enough space. Biggest  factor was that  nobody  could  advise  me  of what  had  been done on others ( locally  nothing).
I  used the bulkhead kit and had to make a little  alteration to the  plastic  around the fuel guage.
Outcome;  everthing is  fine.

Get  back to me  if you  want  photos etc

Mick

• Swab
« Reply #4 on: July 16 2014, 09:38 »
I have recently fitted a Raymarine EV200 pilot pack consisting of EV-1 sensor, ACU200, p70 control head and Type 1 linear drive to my 2001 Bavaria 40. I obtained a tiller arm from Jeffa, machined it to suit. I spoke to a shipwright who had fitted these to Bavs before and the perfect mould for the Linear Drive mount was a 2 gallon bucket and the best shape to boot ! He glassed that in place after measuring both height and stroke to ensure the best position, there was a mounting plate fitted into the top of the assembly and glassed into position during lamination. The rudder reference unit took some working out, ended being on the opposite side to the drive.
Works perfectly with little or no noise / vibration and is very easy on power...... :)

aquapore

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: bavaria 41
  • Boat Year: 2003
« Reply #5 on: September 08 2014, 07:19 »
Hi Mick
I have just purchased a hydraulic ram as part of the Coursemaster auto pilot system for my Bav 41 2003.  I am interested how you attached the ram to the rudder post. Do you have any photos. Also can the attachment be fitted over the rudder stock or does that attachment need to be split and bolted around the stock.

Regards

Aquapore

Mick

• Swab
« Reply #6 on: September 17 2014, 10:07 »
G'day, I used a Jefa tiller arm. Their web site is very good ! Comes with a pilot bore, so you will need to have it bored to rudder shaft diameter then a keyway will need to be broached in once you have the tiller arm positioned to suit the drive position. 

aquapore

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: bavaria 41
  • Boat Year: 2003
« Reply #7 on: October 20 2014, 08:31 »
Does anyone have photos of their installation of hydraulic steering arrangement. I am having difficulties in finding suitable location for the rudder position transducer. Any advice would be appreciated.

Regards

Aquapore