Author Topic: Steering Lock B42 Penelope  (Read 3573 times)

patprice

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Swanson 36 and Bavaria 42
  • Boat Year: 2000
Steering Lock B42 Penelope
« on: February 18 2016, 02:00 »
My 1999 B42 Cruiser has the typical handwheel in the centre of the steering wheel to lock the steering. When screwed all the way out it has a plain end, the shaft is about 80mm long and is8 mm in diameter. Measurements guessed as Penelope is in Greece and I am in Tasmania. Both have wonderful cruising grounds, different hemispheres too - important!

Anyway, the screw thing does nothing! In tight, no affect.

Does anyone know how it works. Hate tearing things apart blindly and maybe unnecessarily!

Thanks

Pat

dawntreader

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria37
  • Boat Year: 2006
Re: Steering Lock B42 Penelope
« Reply #1 on: February 18 2016, 07:37 »
This is known as the Lewmar Brake Spinner (or Whitlock Brake Spinner). It is used when at anchor/in port to prevent the wheel turning and works by screwing in and thereby applying pressure to a plate. There have been previous posts in this forum and I think we concluded that a chocolate fireguard was more useful.

Search here: http://www.bavariayacht.info/forum/index.php/topic,698.msg3624.html#msg3624

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #2 on: February 18 2016, 09:49 »
Hi Pat,
What you need is the piece which fits between the end of the push rod attached to the spinner in the middle of your wheel, and the brake mechanism. This I understand is called a "Brake Slug," and is nothing to do with one of those slimy little critters that some birds enjoy eating. I contacted a Lewmar agent for one that I needed for my B36(2002), but the length of the slug he suggested I needed did not match up with measurements I'd taken, so I declined their offer and made one up from a piece of 8mm stainless rod that I had. First I checked the length of the hole inside the steering spindle and then deducted the length of the push rod attached to the spinner to determine how long the slug needed to be. If you intend to make one up for it yourself, it's worthwhile making it significantly longer so that you can shorten it later for any error in measurement. It's important to ensure that the slug you make is a reasonably sloppy fit into the spindle as you don't want it to get jammed in place, also don't put any grease on it until you are sure it is the right length. Once the slug is inside the spindle you will need to be able to retrieve it until you are sure of the right length. To retrieve it I used an 8mm disc cut from some double sided sticky tape which I stuck to the end of the push rod. I then screwed the spinner up until it was in contact with the new slug, and when unscrewed the slug came out attached to the end of the push rod (that's why it needs to be a sloppy fit and free from grease !!).
My boat has been ashore since I made and fitted the slug, so while it seems to work a treat, it won't be until after launching in April before I can check that it is exactly right. It does however appear to be just the same shape as the one that Lewmar offered, except it is the right size unless of course there was something else missing from within the steering assembly.

patprice

• Able Seaman
« Reply #3 on: February 18 2016, 20:33 »
Thanks Dawntrteader and Salty.
Salty, can I assume that the slug on Penelope has either worn or has disappeared?
Either way, I will go fishing for it and will take a bit of 8 dia rod to Greece.
Thanks again both of you

Pat

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #4 on: February 18 2016, 22:58 »
Hi Pat,
My boat was an ex charter vessel where as owner one had very little control over what happened while the boat was on hire. Unless the agent went through every single part of the boat at the end of the charter period and with the charterers present, it was too easy for things to be lost or go missing. The slug on my boat went missing, and some time went by before I discovered that it was no longer there. At the time I didn't even know what it was that was missing save only that the wheel could not be locked in one position, and since that time I've always put a lashing on the wheel whenever the boat was moored. At last years London Boatshow I asked the question while at the Lewmar stand, and finally got around to fixing the problem last October. I don't think your slug is worn, but I do suspect that like mine it has gone walkabout at some stage while you were not present.
I had an old extra long screwdriver with an 8mm stainless blade that I cannibalised, but an extra long 8mm bolt would also do the job. If I remember right I needed a length of about 80+ mm, so would suggest taking something 90-100mm long, and a hacksaw. Good luck fishing it out while you get the length right !

patprice

• Able Seaman
« Reply #5 on: February 18 2016, 23:32 »
hi Salty

My Penelope (yacht, not wife, same name) was ex charter. Maybe I was lucky to be the second owner since charter as lots had been fixed. All in all she is in pretty good shape.

It strikes me that the brake, I will not call it a lock as that would entail the slug sliding into a hole which I assume it does not, is not a brilliant bit of engineering. There is not much surface area on the end of an 8 dia. slug tp provide friction against a plate or something?

The hand wheel is quite loose, easily screwed in or out and does not move either way on it's own accord ever. I can live without the brake but it is nice to have things working.

Pat

Nigel

• R.I.P.
  • Old Salt
    • Dolcetto - My Boat
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 47
« Reply #6 on: February 19 2016, 12:07 »
The slug is the only bit that is customised, so they only need to make one plunger. I assumed it was plastic, and planned to replace with same.
Nigel Mercier: Forum Administrator

patprice

• Able Seaman
« Reply #7 on: February 19 2016, 20:57 »
Nigel Hi thanks for buying in to this thread. Plastic might make some sense. Steel on steel would be a bit damaging over time but plastic would not damage the inner part, whatever that is. The plastic would wear and eventually not function...replace??

Pat