Author Topic: Exhaust Silencer Repair  (Read 2734 times)

Bertrando

• Swab
  • Boat Model: 37
  • Boat Year: 2001
Exhaust Silencer Repair
« on: February 09 2016, 18:18 »
Hi, I have the same problem with water cooled exhaust muffler as @dawntreader in his post 227
I like the repair he made but the question is: how many litres of water he spilled? or how is it possible avoid the spillage?
Thank you
Bertrando

dawntreader

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria37
  • Boat Year: 2006
Re: Exhaust Silencer Repair
« Reply #1 on: February 09 2016, 18:54 »
Hi Bertrando,
There is very little water in the exhaust muffler. What little there was that spilled out collected in the hull behind the engine compartment and was easily cleaned up. I also used some oxalic acid to remove the rust stains left behind by the leak.

Bertrando

• Swab
« Reply #2 on: February 10 2016, 15:54 »
Thank you @dauntreader, I thought that there were, in the muffler, at least 3 or 4 litres plus other two litres from the hoses. If it was so, before I remove the clamps on the left and then with a manual pump I empty the muffler, what do you think?
Bertrando

dawntreader

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria37
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #3 on: February 10 2016, 17:46 »
Bertrando, I unclamped the hoses and removed the whole muffler before dismantling. Tape a plastic bag over each end of the stainless steel inlet/outlet pipes and you should not spill much. It is then easy to lift and empty the muffler off the back of the boat before taking the end caps off. Very little water will come out of the hose pipes still attached to the engine and rear outlet. Make sure your raw water inlet valve is closed before you start or the water in the engine/filter will empty too.

Bertrando

• Swab
« Reply #4 on: February 11 2016, 11:48 »
Hi dawntreader, your post relieved me of my trouble. I have understood, in any case, the boat does not flood.
Thank you Bertrando.