Author Topic: Companion way doors hinges are pants!  (Read 4813 times)

Impavidus

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria C 37
  • Boat Year: 2015
Companion way doors hinges are pants!
« on: January 17 2016, 16:53 »
We went to spend the day on the boat Saturday. There were a couple of little jobs we wanted to do.
As I opened the companion way doors and the starboard side door was a little stiff on the hinge. As I opened it the last 10 degrees the bottom of the barrel hinge broke. On investigation I found the top and bottom of the hinge had rusted together and the threaded pin ad broken off in the door. I managed to remove the pin and separate the barrel with wd40 and mole grips but it really was rusted solid. In just 10 months the two half?s were almost locked together. The barrels and pins were just chromed monkey metal, not stainless or bronze/brass.  So if your companion way doors are fitted with barrel hinges it may be a good idea to remove the small anti-lift pin and make sure the male and female half?s are lubricated with some silicone grease. Luckily I have a lathe and a milling machine at home and was able to make a replacement in 316 stainless. I have made 4 and a spare top, just in case.  Why fit chrome steel on the outside of a boat? Bit daft Mr Bavaria.   
Anyway if you need one making let me know, it will cost you a Guinness  :kewl

Ant.
Visit our YouTube channel here:  https://www.youtube.com/c/SVImpavidusAntCidSailing

tiger79

• Old Salt
  • 2014 Cruiser 37
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 37
  • Boat Year: 2014
Re: Companion way doors hinges are pants!
« Reply #1 on: January 17 2016, 21:16 »
Thanks for the tip, I'll check mine.

ANTREVELL

• Able Seaman
« Reply #2 on: March 02 2016, 20:47 »
I have exactly the same problem with my Cruiser 33. Can I take up your kind offer please. How much would you charge to make the 4 complete hinges ?  I am based near Harwich in Essex where are you .

Regards Tony  Revell  Pegatha

Impavidus

• Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: March 03 2016, 22:06 »
Reply to PM,

ANTREVELL, is it the top or bottom section that has broken? Or both?

IE the male or female parts?

Either way, I have the material in stock, it has cost me nothing as it is left over from another work related project. However, as good will gesture, I will provide FOC if you make donation to the site, the Lifeboat, or a Marine charity, Let Nigel know, as I think it would be good that we Bavaria owners are seen as being a real community that helps each other where we can. He may want to feature.

Hey! I could even do a short how, to or u tube video. I am really passionate about Bavaria owners being a community that is about helping each other.

Let me know.
Visit our YouTube channel here:  https://www.youtube.com/c/SVImpavidusAntCidSailing

tiger79

• Old Salt
  • 2014 Cruiser 37
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 37
  • Boat Year: 2014
« Reply #4 on: March 04 2016, 13:01 »
I'm on the boat now, and finally got around to checking the hinges.  Yes, they are poor quality, aren't they?  The pins were a bit corroded on mine, so I cleaned them up with emery cloth, greased them with silicone grease and reassembled.  They feel much smoother.

Impavidus

• Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: March 17 2016, 19:46 »
I have exactly the same problem with my Cruiser 33. Can I take up your kind offer please. How much would you charge to make the 4 complete hinges ?  I am based near Harwich in Essex where are you .

Regards Tony  Revell  Pegatha

Antrevell. Hinges all made. 316L Stainless I will post them to you tomorrow, with fitting guide.

I have done a how to video which I will post up to you tube for interest of site/forum.

Best regards

Ant.  :) 

Impavidus

• Old Salt
« Reply #6 on: March 19 2016, 11:52 »
Tony I forgot to post fitting instructions; hope you read this before fitting  ;)

Its important that when you screw the top hinge into the door frame you do so by placing a 6mm drill bit or, the bottom of the hinge in the socket hole. Or the thread will try to screw it's self into the barrel of the hinge closing the hole and breaking the lock-tight on the thread.

The threads are cut off a little longer than your drawing to allow for fitting or some adjustment.

If you need to cut them down put the thread in a vice and cut the excess off. Do not put the hinge end in the vice and try to cut the thread down. Again the thread will try to turn or screw it's self into the barrel of the hinge closing the hole and breaking the lock-tight on the thread.

There is a video here;  https://youtu.be/B2w-3u1f-fs

Hope this helps.

Best regards.

Ant