Author Topic: Remote Engine-Hour Recorder  (Read 3549 times)

dawntreader

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria37
  • Boat Year: 2006
Remote Engine-Hour Recorder
« on: January 10 2016, 08:26 »
There are several posts on the forum relating to the faulty LCD engine-hour readouts from the Volvo Tachometer. Has anyone wired a remote counter (to the chart desk for example) and is able to give instructions/wiring diagrams for its installation?

Any information would be much appreciated.

fyi - my LCD gave a readout recently after 4 years of not working and has now gone back into 'hibernation'

Lyra

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: B36
  • Boat Year: 2004
Re: Remote Engine-Hour Recorder
« Reply #1 on: January 10 2016, 12:08 »
This is what I did when my LCD went dead.
Bought an electro-mechanical hour meter (can't find now my exact order on Ebay but it is similar to this
The wiring is simple - as far as I remember it is plus to the plus terminal of the alternator and minus to electric system minus (it does not read the tach pulses but simply starts counting when it gets an electric supply) .

[Link tidied by Nigel  :) ]
S/Y Lyra
B36 / 2004

Nigel

• R.I.P.
  • Old Salt
    • Dolcetto - My Boat
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 47
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #2 on: January 10 2016, 23:39 »
My Panel 20 had a 16A MCB/RCD mounted on an ISO rail. I moved it to a consumer unit and filled the hole exactly with two hour counters from the same manufacturer as the ones detailed in the instructions on the Download page.

However, I got the cased type that you can reset, so can I reset one whenever I feel like it (say at the start of a trip), and the other is reset when I fill up with fuel. They are wired to turn on when the instruments are on, and count when the ignition is on.

The cases had to be cut down a bit to fit one above the other, and I fitted a couple of reset switches underneath.

The model number is 701 F/T R xxx x 0512D

Curtis 700 Series

Nigel Mercier: Forum Administrator

dawntreader

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria37
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #3 on: January 11 2016, 08:04 »
Thanks for the detail Nigel - very useful. The 2-counter option is a very practical solution and one I will install :)

ancanc

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 44 AC
  • Boat Year: 2003
« Reply #4 on: September 12 2023, 11:31 »
Maybe it is usefull for someone: in the meantime there are some LCD panels offered on ebay / aliexpress for the VDO meters with the running hours display. I got one of theese for less than EUR 20 and it works perfectly. The biggest advantage is: you see the originally stored hours...
https://www.ebay.de/itm/LCD-Display-Screen-Replacement-for-Volvo-Penta-Tachometer-High-quality/313160574393