Author Topic: Immersion heater  (Read 4846 times)

Brian

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 44
  • Boat Year: 2004
Immersion heater
« on: January 06 2016, 15:28 »
I have a Bavaria 44 which is in Greece at present. Can anyone tell me the power consumption of the immersion heater, as I am considering buying a generator to power it when at anchor.  If it is only 800w then a 1 Kva will just cope any larger then I will have to go for a 2 Kva. As far as I known the original is still fitted.

Craig

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2009
Re: Immersion heater
« Reply #1 on: January 06 2016, 21:38 »
Brian,
The immersion heaters are usually 1200w. Have a look at the code on the side of the heater. Most have the power consumption marked as part of the code.
We downgraded our heater to a 500w element so that we could heat water and charge the batteries from our 1 kv generator at the same time.
We bought the element from Lefkas in Greece (chandlery near bend in road along waterfront where charter boats tie up) but I have also seen them on display in Fethiye in Turkey. I think they are easy to get.
The lower power is not an issue unless you have more than 3 people having a shower in a row.

Just check your battery charger to determine its maximum charge rate before ordering a new element. Seems best to ensure that the wattage from the battery charger plus the water heater is about 80% of your generator capacity. This assumes you are not using other 240v power direct from the generator.

Craig
"Shirley Valentine"
Gold Coast
Australia

patprice

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Swanson 36 and Bavaria 42
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #2 on: January 07 2016, 20:42 »
Craig
That is good advice concerning the heater.
Do you keep a yacht in Greece?
Ours, Bavaria 42 "Penelope", is currently at Atkio.
We will return to Greece in May.

Brian

• Second Mate
« Reply #3 on: January 08 2016, 10:38 »
Thanks for the advice, I have sourced a750w marine immersion in this country and will take it out with me. My panels normally keep the batteries topped up so little current will go through the charger.
Good sailing for 2016!!

Odysseus

• Old Salt
  • Bill and Linda
    • www.scanmar-odysseus.co.uk
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #4 on: January 08 2016, 15:10 »
My water heater is 800w and I have a Honda 1kwt generator, it means I switch off the charging system before starting generator it then heats water which takes 15 minute's from cold before the thermostate cuts it off.

I have a 750w kettle which runs together with the charging system ok.

So 2 times a day I heat water, can get away with one heat up if no showers required, if they are then you need to heat up again so water remains hot for the evening.

I also have an ECO shower head which uses far less water, look it up on google, or Ebay.

Hope this helps

Odysseus bav 38

Odysseus

Baltic

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: B39
« Reply #5 on: January 08 2016, 17:36 »
Hi

Some more words about heating times and element sizes.

I am not 100% sure.
But.  Theoretically
Draft is. When you heat one liter water one Celsius. 1 W is needed.

Scenario.
30 liter water heater with 800W element.
When you want to warm 30 liter water from  20 C to 80 C.  1800 w is needed.  With 800W heating element it will take near 2.5 hours.
With 500W element. More than 3.5 hours...

Brian

• Second Mate
« Reply #6 on: January 08 2016, 19:43 »
I believe your estimate is a little over on at least 3 accounts.
Specific heat of water is 4.19
Max temp required by most people would be 60 deg from 25C [I am in Greece]max rise in temp therefore lower.
 1 watt =1 j/s
30*35*4.19 kj
750w= 0.75kj/s=2700kj/hr
Divide top by bottom should give the answer gives about 1hr 40min

Baltic

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: B39
« Reply #7 on: January 08 2016, 20:49 »
Hi.
I know. Not scientifically correct way to calculate.  And there is about 15% error marginal.
But easier to make approximate calculation. Simple 1C and 1l to 1w (working accuracy and you need not calculator)
'Draft'
 :)

I just ment.. with generator.
It will take time. And if element will be uppgraded to 500w it will take more time....

Nigel

• R.I.P.
  • Old Salt
    • Dolcetto - My Boat
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 47
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #8 on: January 09 2016, 08:26 »
Nigel Mercier: Forum Administrator

Craig

• Old Salt
« Reply #9 on: January 11 2016, 00:40 »
Patrice,
"Shirley Valentine" was launched in Koper. Slovenia in Feb 2010. We sailed "Shirley" as live-a-boards for 5 1/2 years in the eastern Med. In May last year, we shipped her from Genoa to Australia. We now keep her on our pontoon on the Gold Coast, Australia.

In regard to the comments about heating water, we looked at a 800w element to run from our 1000w generator. That is, heating the water, then turning off and charging the batteries. For most yachties, this is probably not optimal. If you install a 800w element, you can not start charging the batteries until the water is heated, then the batteries are typically charged at a maximum of 40amp ( about 480w) but quickly dropping once more than 75% charged. This means that your 1000w generator is charging at well below its designed capacity when charging the batteries through your 240v battery charger.

By installing a 500w element, you can heat water, admittedly at a slower rate,  while charging your batteries. By the time your batteries are typically charged ( this will depend on size of battery bank and state of charge) you will have ample hot water. On our boat with 340amp/hr battery capacity, the water is always fully heated in less time than it takes to charge the batteries from 50% capacity to about 80% capacity. We have limited solar capacity as we didn't want to install a Targa bar with large panels. We have semi-flexible panels that we can walk on, mounted on the deck in front of the spray hood. We can go 4 days without needing to charge the batteries in typical Med conditions. Usually we move by then. We typically used our generator less than 4 or 5 times a year.  For typical Med conditions, I believe a generator ( and water maker) to be fairly useless. This is not the case elsewhere.

If your solar panels keep your batteries close to fully charged and you only need to heat water, then install a 800w element.

The hot water capacities in boats is typically from 15 litres to over 30 litres and is kept at a temperature too high to bear. I don't know the exact temperature but suspect that,  as the water is heated from the engine cooling water, it could reach temperatures over 80 degrees centigrade. This will burn you. Typical, comfortable temperatures to shower in are around 35-40 degrees. This means that you will not have to heat the water much to have a reasonable shower, but you will have less hot water thereafter.

Hope this helps
Craig
"Shirley Valentine"

Mirror45184

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 40
« Reply #10 on: January 11 2016, 01:16 »
Why install a generator with all the requirements for petrol etc. Particularly if the primary justification is for hot water. The house batteries require charging on a daily basis for around 1 hour using the fitted diesel engine. As the engine cooling circuit also runs through the water heater, there is also enough hot water too!
Cheers
Mark Hutton
SV Synergy B40 Cruiser 2009
Mark Hutton
SV SYnergy
B40 Cruiser 2009

Craig

• Old Salt
« Reply #11 on: January 11 2016, 06:31 »
Mark,

I agree.

The generator and water maker were the 2 most useless things we installed.

The alternator on the motor, on our Bavaria, is 110amp and compares with the 240v charger which is, at best, 40amp also means that, depending on your batteries, able to charge the batteries and heat the water much faster.

The generator is also the best way to piss off neighbours in close quarters.

Craig
"Shirley Valentine"