Author Topic: Matching mahogany varnish  (Read 6742 times)

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
Matching mahogany varnish
« on: December 24 2015, 14:39 »
I'm planning the boaty projects for the coming year. This includes some interior repair/additions. My boat has the old Bavaria house look, that is dark mahogany (as depicted below), which I really like. Has anyone managed to match this? I assume the wood is stained dark. The varnish appears to be semi-glossy. Any idea which products to apply in what order to approximate this look?
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

Odysseus

• Old Salt
  • Bill and Linda
    • www.scanmar-odysseus.co.uk
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
  • Boat Year: 2006
Re: Matching mahogany varnish
« Reply #1 on: December 24 2015, 19:34 »
I have refurbished my companionway last year, took advice off yard, they sand back to get under varnish then stain  appropriately to sapele colour then use wooden floor satin clear varnish finish using a sponge.

Must admit it came up a great match.
Odysseus
Bav 38
Odysseus

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #2 on: December 24 2015, 22:37 »
I've used Ronseal wood stain in their satin mahogany shade with excellent results. Also, the brush used for application can be washed out in water. The manufacturer claims that its rainproof in 30 minutes.

Nigel

• R.I.P.
  • Old Salt
    • Dolcetto - My Boat
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 47
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #3 on: December 25 2015, 00:07 »
For the stuff I added I used sapele and clear varnish.
Nigel Mercier: Forum Administrator

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #4 on: December 25 2015, 21:08 »
Another vote for Ronseal satin as final finish. Also worth putting a couple of coats of gloss first to get a bit of extra depth. For additions (bookshelves, mug racks and extra solid trim) I was able to get mahogany that did not need any stain to blend in well.

Yngmar

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 29 2015, 20:51 »
Many thanks for all your input. Have ordered some Ronseal clear satin and "Deep Mahogany" stain and shall experiment a bit on some cutoffs and less important bits (and relearn how to varnish - haven't done it in decades).

geoff

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: 40 ocean
« Reply #6 on: December 30 2015, 10:41 »
If it is possible to remove the item, say a locker door spray can varnish is very effective. In Europe Lidl do a very good one at £1.50 a pop.Geoff

Bertie

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 34
« Reply #7 on: December 30 2015, 13:10 »
Ronseal Deep Mahogany Satin worked well for me. I did the companionway, steps and dining table ( and Chart table). It looks really well but shows up how much all the woodwork has faded........ might have to do the rest of the cabin next year!

Top Tip I received - use a small sponge to apply - covers v well and doesn't leave brush marks.

Once finished I applied a few coats of furniture polish and it came up a treat - well pleased.

Yngmar

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 29 2017, 00:50 »
Ronseal Yacht Varnish Satin appears to be a pretty good match. This is 3 coats on the test piece, next to the original Bavaria varnish from 2001 (the table edge). The satin is slightly less glossy than the original, but close enough (they make a gloss version, but I think that would be far too glossy then, and I don't want to bother mixing my own).

The Ronseal is a smelly synthetic varnish and not nearly as tough as the original (which I've just scraped off the test piece - didn't come off easy). There is no wood stain (the Sapele really is that dark) and the varnish is a clear(-ish) one without additional dyes. The original varnish was sprayed on and was probably a UV curing industrial varnish so that many coats can be applied in a short time (a pass through a high powered UV light instantly cures this type of varnish).

Good enough for me I think and will get some more to do the companionway steps this spring.

buttonfreebie

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 41
  • Boat Year: 2004
« Reply #9 on: December 29 2017, 10:58 »
I bought my 2004 B41 in January and the companionway steps were badly worn and faded. I stripped them completely and simply applied 3 coats of Bondex Regatta yacht varnish. No need for any stain . The natural colour of the wood brings them back to as new colour.  I also purchased new rubber treads from SVB .I hope photos are attached of before and after.

dawntreader

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria37
« Reply #10 on: December 30 2017, 17:06 »
I recently re-varnised some of the interior woodwork using a low-cost liquid remover (no dust) and finished with Ronseal clear varnish - see attached.

Yngmar

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: December 30 2017, 17:36 »
Very nice work, both of you. What liquid remover did you use? Sounds very handy for interior jobs and seems to have worked well.

dawntreader

• Old Salt
« Reply #12 on: December 31 2017, 07:28 »
I used B&Q's product - very effective. Applied with a washing-up sponge and removed with a stainless steel pot scrubber. Just needed a very fine sandpaper to finish ready for varnish. Best of all - the Admiral likes it  ;)

Krill

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 30
« Reply #13 on: January 29 2018, 12:43 »
I recently re-varnised some of the interior woodwork using a low-cost liquid remover (no dust) and finished with Ronseal clear varnish - see attached.

how long did you leave the varnish stripper on for, i tried a test piece but the varnish didn't really want to come off, i guess it would if i sanded a little but i was trying to go for a no dust solution

impatience may have played a role too....

dawntreader

• Old Salt
« Reply #14 on: January 30 2018, 07:40 »
The instructions on the package (  ::) ) suggest 2 applications - about 45 mins each I think. Then use a combination of water, sponge and stainless steel pot scrubber to remove the bulk. Any residual varnish can then be treated again. There is no dust and the wood should be bare.

Krill

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 30
« Reply #15 on: January 30 2018, 09:31 »
i left it as instructed but it didnt move the varnish =/ perhaps because its cold it may take longer ?!? who knows

it wasnt the B&Q diall one, it was from homebase but same thing i would have thought!

i was expecting the varnish to bubble or something so i could rub it off with a cloth but it just sat there mocking me, will try again and put a thicker layer on.

dawntreader

• Old Salt
« Reply #16 on: February 04 2018, 07:50 »
The B&Q product was so good at removing the varnish that, when I wasn't happy with the finish, I applied and removed the new coat in one hit so that I could do it again. It was very warm when I did the job but wouldn't have thought that would make a significant difference. I used the hand rail as a 'test' and that went to the bare wood fairly easily.