Author Topic: Charging ammeter  (Read 3290 times)

tckearney

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: B42
  • Boat Year: 2000
Charging ammeter
« on: December 24 2015, 13:02 »
Hi I have a 2000 B42 with a CALIRA  418 electric distribution panel.   The ammeter does not work.   Can anybody help with the following?  1) the shunt resistor has been disconnected at some point.  The small blue/white wires for the milli amp take off are still wired in and are across the ammeter via two PCB,s I have traced this out okay.  Can't quite figure out where the main 12vdc for the shunt load would have been connected.  My first thought would have been in the neg bus line but that would then show all current even if the Bow thruster was on, so that cant be right, at present it has no large wires on it.
  Also 2) what does the green LED do, and 3) what does the push button switch do ,  Both are marked with a diode symbol and are under the ammeter.  I would assume that the pushbutton changes to read Bat 1 or Batt 2  as that is that is marked up, but this would then require 2 shunts.    Once I get the shunt wired in I am sure I will work it all out.  Any advice would be good.  I have traced the entire circuit and have it all drawn out, but an original Circuit diagram would be good.  My paperwork form the German factory does not show this.

landes_h

• Able Seaman
  • Blue sky sailor
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
  • Boat Year: 2003
Re: Charging ammeter
« Reply #1 on: December 26 2015, 16:59 »
Why don't you just ignore that useless Amp-meter and put in this http://www.nasamarine.com/proddetail.php?prod=BM2 .
I actually installed the smaller BM1 and am so happy to have a real indication of battery condition. For the price it is not worth fiddeling around with the Bavaria Panel.
Greetings
Horst
Bavaria 38 / 2003 berth Portoroz, Slowenia

tckearney

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: B42
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #2 on: December 26 2015, 20:08 »
Hi landes, thanks I think you are right.  I will look at this, at least it goes in the negative bus and therefore will show all currents at every stage.  I will still work out the  Bavaria circuit diagram as I don't like things to beat me, and I agree it is fiddly.  I have found the original CDiag thanks to a fellow member and as drawn by Bavaria, it would be "as much use as a chocolate fireguard" and only actually shows charge current if the ladegerat (shore charger) is fitted.  I'll post the full original CDiag when I have drawn up the corrected version.

landes_h

• Able Seaman
  • Blue sky sailor
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
  • Boat Year: 2003
« Reply #3 on: December 27 2015, 11:08 »
My Bav 38 has the old panel (424) where the analog Meter shows only Voltage and Water Tank Level.
Therefor I invested in the Nasa instrument and never regretted. Shocking though when I run my Senseo coffee maker and there are 100 Amps shown on the display drwan by the inverter; but it works. Its only for two minutes per cup.
The maker of the panel is mentioned in the manual as:

Trautmann KG
   CALIRA-Apparatebau
   Lerchenfeldstr. 9
   87600 Kaufbeuren-Neugablonz

I'm sure you found that already.
Greetings
Horst
Bavaria 38 / 2003 berth Portoroz, Slowenia