Author Topic: B37cr Bow water tank  (Read 4413 times)

Konan the Bavarian

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: 37 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2006
B37cr Bow water tank
« on: December 23 2015, 04:34 »
I am planning to install a water tank in the bow of my 2006 37Cruiser, under the v berth. My preference is of a solid (plastic) type tank rather than a flexible type. I understand that the tank is an option from new.

My questions are: Can I buy an "original" tank used installed ex factory, and if so from where?
if not, where can I buy a tank like this from, in Australia, or elsewhere?

Also, could some who has a B37 with a bow tank post a photo of the setup please.

Thank you

Steven
SV Konan the Bavarian

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
Re: B37cr Bow water tank
« Reply #1 on: December 23 2015, 10:33 »
You may be able to get a tank from the factory through your local dealer. However it is likely to be very expensive and you would do better to get one made locally. I expect there is a plastic tank manufacturer where you are. In the UK www.tek-tanks.com make welded plastic tanks to custom designs. Plenty of information on their website on design and fitting. They quoted me about £800 for a bow tank for my older 37, but I was able to repair the old one which was a stainless steel one I had made in Greece. You need to mock up your tank out of wood or card so that it fits. On my boat I glassed in a platform at the bottom of the locker for the tank to sit on and had flanges welded onto the back and front to bolt it down. The inlet and vent are at the front going up into the chain locker and the outlet is at the rear bottom with a shut off valve. You will also need a changeover valve so that you can connect up either tank to your system.

Think you will find all Bavarias have a similar set up when a bow tank is fitted, so does not have tio be your particular model if you are looking for ideas.

tiger79

• Old Salt
  • 2014 Cruiser 37
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 37
  • Boat Year: 2014
« Reply #2 on: December 23 2015, 12:02 »
I'd agree with Symphony that a custom tank is the solution.  Apart from anything else, you'd probably find you'd have to dismantle a lot of your forecabin to fit an original tank in, as in production the tank would most likely be fitted before the woodwork.

Symphony

• Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: December 23 2015, 14:34 »
I'd agree with Symphony that a custom tank is the solution.  Apart from anything else, you'd probably find you'd have to dismantle a lot of your forecabin to fit an original tank in, as in production the tank would most likely be fitted before the woodwork.

Think you will find the tank comes out quite easily. My original factory one failed and I replaced it with a stainless steel one. Unfortunately I was not there when it was installed and it was foamed in and took me several days to get out to repair leaks in the welds.

However, knowing what Bavaria charge for spares, it would probably still be better to have a custom one made.

tiger79

• Old Salt
  • 2014 Cruiser 37
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 37
  • Boat Year: 2014
« Reply #4 on: December 23 2015, 15:59 »

Think you will find the tank comes out quite easily. My original factory one failed and I replaced it with a stainless steel one. Unfortunately I was not there when it was installed and it was foamed in and took me several days to get out to repair leaks in the welds.

However, knowing what Bavaria charge for spares, it would probably still be better to have a custom one made.

OK, suppose it depends on the model.  My Cruiser 37 has the bow tank hidden beneath the bunk base, which is glassed in at the sides.

Symphony

• Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: December 23 2015, 22:50 »
Think my 33 is different as I can get to the inlet connections at the front. That was a weakness in my old 37 as the hose was not accessible, but otherwise the tank just lifted out - once I hacked all the foam out!

So, as you say will probably vary with model but all the older boats (early 2000s) I have seen were similar to my 37.

Wayne

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 37
  • Boat Year: 2007
« Reply #6 on: December 25 2015, 23:59 »
Hi Steve,

Do you still require a picture of the forward water tank? I have a 2007 Cruiser 37 and will be up at Southport, where the yacht is at present, and could send you a couple of pictures when I go back to Gold Coast mid January.

Wayne
Devocean

Konan the Bavarian

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: 37 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #7 on: December 27 2015, 10:55 »
Symphony, Tiger 97 & Wayne,
Thank you for your information, it has been of much help.
Wayne, if you do have some more photos that would be great.
cheers, Steven
sv Konan the Bavarian