Author Topic: WARNING - Fake Chinese "Volvo OEM" Oil Filters  (Read 2455 times)

Kaptajnen

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: 38 Ocean CC
  • Boat Year: 2000
WARNING - Fake Chinese "Volvo OEM" Oil Filters
« on: November 21 2015, 01:21 »
http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/VOLVO-oil-filter-861476-for-truck_60093489134.html?spm=a2700.7724857.29.19.ckMUOk

These cheap knock-off oil filters with Volvo P/N 861476 are fraudently labeled "Manufactured in the United Kingdom" and even carry a price sticker £ 14.68.

So, there are really no way of knowing if your oil filter is a genuine Volvo part or a cheap $1. Chinese imitation!

Craig

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2009
Re: WARNING - Fake Chinese "Volvo OEM" Oil Filters
« Reply #1 on: November 21 2015, 08:19 »
Does it matter!!!!

Many "expensive" parts are made in the same factory as the "cheap" parts.

Has anyone actually got direct knowledge of a problem with a cheap filter? I have never heard of a problem with a cheaper, non-genuine filter. I may have been lucky with the filters I have bought over the years. I am not sure.

Labelling cheaply produced filters as genuine Volvo parts may be merely conning people to pay Volvo prices rather than "normal" prices for the product.

Craig
s/v "Shirley Valentine"

Kaptajnen

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: 38 Ocean CC
  • Boat Year: 2000
Re: WARNING - Fake Chinese "Volvo OEM" Oil Filters
« Reply #2 on: November 21 2015, 15:15 »
I think it matters a lot.

While I have not had a problem with an oil filter, I was hoisting a dinghy when a heavy duty stainless steel snap shackle broke and the dinghy crashed to deck. Luckily, no one got injured.

On inspection, the shackle which was labeled 301 and "Made in the USA", was a counterfeit chinese piece of junk - the inside looked like it was made of cheap iron.

And chinese made counterfeit products now show up in life-critical applications. For example, in aircraft spare parts.

Do you want to fly in a plane where the wing panels are fastened with bogus fasteners?

So quality matters.

Claus
S/V Alchemyst