Author Topic: Fresh water coolant pump issue  (Read 4507 times)

Neil

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 39
  • Boat Year: 2006
Fresh water coolant pump issue
« on: November 12 2015, 08:47 »
I have a D2-40 VP in my Bavaria 39. The FW coolant pump is making a high pitched whining noise intermittently, though sometimes it is constant. The engine has only 750 hours, though it is 10 years old. Any suggestions? Is this a replacement job?

IslandAlchemy

• Old Salt
Re: Fresh water coolant pump issue
« Reply #1 on: November 12 2015, 13:11 »
Screaming bearing.  Replacement bearing or pump depending on how handy you are.

Neil

• First Mate
« Reply #2 on: November 12 2015, 13:37 »
Thanks for the diagnosis IslandAlchemy, sounds like that is the issue. I think I will take it apart and have a look. I would like to have a go at replacing the bearing if possible, if I can get a hold of the correct bearing, as the whole pump replacement is not an inexpensive option.

PEA-JAY

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: B-Cruiser 39
  • Boat Year: 2005
« Reply #3 on: November 12 2015, 15:23 »
Hi. Are you sure it's the pump?  The drive belt could also be a cause for noise. It might need proper tensioning. If it's a multi-rib belt it could also have worn down inside the groves causing slip and high pitch squealing. You could also try spraying some belt dressing. Hope this helps. Raph.

Neil

• First Mate
« Reply #4 on: November 12 2015, 16:13 »
I'm pretty sure the noise isn't caused by the belt - which is a multi-rib type. The tension seems ok and the wear is also not too bad. I will replace it as a matter of course anyway when I take off the pump to examine.

PEA-JAY

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: B-Cruiser 39
  • Boat Year: 2005
« Reply #5 on: November 12 2015, 21:36 »
I've heard many a strange noise from worn multi rib belts and it's very difficult to see the wear in the belt grooves. Gates Inc give away a small plastic jig that enables gauging both belt as well as pulley as wear happens in both items. I could mail you one if you wish. Raph

Neil

• First Mate
« Reply #6 on: November 13 2015, 11:12 »
That would be worth having in any event. My e-mail is neil.bingham@yahoo.co.uk. Thanks

tckearney

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: B42
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #7 on: November 13 2015, 15:20 »
Hi,  a simple solution to any squeaking belt is a can of belt dressing spay. Stops slipping belts immediately.  It would also eliminate the possibility of belt problems and then your only thing left is the water pump bearing, which is easy to change. 

tiger79

• Old Salt
  • 2014 Cruiser 37
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 37
  • Boat Year: 2014
« Reply #8 on: November 13 2015, 18:03 »
Hi,  a simple solution to any squeaking belt is a can of belt dressing spay. Stops slipping belts immediately.  It would also eliminate the possibility of belt problems and then your only thing left is the water pump bearing, which is easy to change.

Surely belt dressing sprays are usually not recommended for multi-v belts?

Impavidus

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria C 37
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #9 on: November 13 2015, 19:05 »
Take the belt off turn the pump manually. Feel for resistance, or flat spots. My bet is its a dry or squealing bearing. You can replace them if you have a press and some basic engineering skills. You can buy a bearing and steal kit. But unless you confident.... Swap the pump out. Make sure you refit the pump housing bolts to the right torque and a tiny dab of copper-slip on the bolt threads. The pump housing is cast, womp it or twist it by not doing up the bolts evenly will warp it or crack it.

Best regards.

Ant
Visit our YouTube channel here:  https://www.youtube.com/c/SVImpavidusAntCidSailing

Neil

• First Mate
« Reply #10 on: November 17 2015, 13:04 »
If I can source the bearing, and it is not too expensive on its own, I wouldn't mind trying replacing it. It could be a shot to nothing - given the price of the whole replacement pump (about £450!). Hopefully I may be able to find someone would have the relevant bearing press to remove the old bearing and insert the new one, unless the appropriate tool is readily available and cheap (probably not). I do have a couple of torque wrenches for assembly.