Author Topic: Warped Locker Doors in Heads  (Read 5195 times)

Nigel

• R.I.P.
  • Old Salt
    • Dolcetto - My Boat
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 47
  • Boat Year: 2000
Warped Locker Doors in Heads
« on: October 21 2015, 13:12 »
The locker doors in my heads are bowed outwards, about 5mm in the middle. They look like Melamine, but I'm not sure what the substrate is.

Has anyone else had this problem, and fixed it?
Nigel Mercier: Forum Administrator

Nigel

• R.I.P.
  • Old Salt
    • Dolcetto - My Boat
Re: Warped Locker Doors in Heads
« Reply #1 on: October 26 2015, 08:27 »
OK, does any know what the substrate of the doors is? MDF? Plywood? Solid Melamine?

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #2 on: October 26 2015, 09:08 »
Are these the white crinkly finish ones? If so I think they are solid material, that is not a laminate over a substrate. It used to be sold by Vetus, but not seen it in its catalogue recently. I edged all mine with a moulding from Howells, partly to make it look better and partly to stop the big doos warping. Will try and find some photos of the finished job.

Symphony

• Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: October 26 2015, 11:18 »
Can't find a photo but my old 37 is for sale with Clipper
www.clippermarine.co.uk/boat-for-sale/Bavaria-37-FOR-SALE-5102616.html

There is a photo of the heads compartment showing the mouldings on the plain white doors which have a textured finish.

Nigel

• R.I.P.
  • Old Salt
    • Dolcetto - My Boat
« Reply #4 on: October 27 2015, 06:19 »
... I think they are solid material, that is not a laminate over a substrate. It used to be sold by Vetus, but not seen it in its catalogue recently...
Thank you. Do you happen to remember what it is called?

tiger79

• Old Salt
  • 2014 Cruiser 37
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 37
  • Boat Year: 2014
« Reply #5 on: October 27 2015, 13:18 »
Thank you. Do you happen to remember what it is called?

The Vetus product is called Poly-Wood.  It's a UV-stabilised high density polyethylene board, available in 6, 12 or 18mm thicknesses.  It's still in their catalogue.

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #6 on: October 27 2015, 21:03 »
If it is HDPE, it probably deformed from heat rather than moisture. You might be able to bend it back after moderately warming it up, for example in boiling water (certainly works for my Seago oil extractor pump, which is also HDPE and gets all floppy when filled with hot engine oil). Although I suspect it would be tricky to get flat.

Alternatively, if the surface is not important (mine have mirrors on the locker doors covering them entirely) and they're not too badly bent, you could shove it through a planer and live with the curvature on the inside (slowly - the stuff is only machinable if you stay below the melting point, else it turns into horrid gunk that is tricky to clean off your tools).
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

Nigel

• R.I.P.
  • Old Salt
    • Dolcetto - My Boat
« Reply #7 on: October 28 2015, 07:19 »
Thanks all, I've sent Vetus an email.

Poly-Wood

Symphony

• Old Salt
« Reply #8 on: October 28 2015, 11:59 »
If it is HDPE, it probably deformed from heat rather than moisture. You might be able to bend it back after moderately warming it up, for example in boiling water (certainly works for my Seago oil extractor pump, which is also HDPE and gets all floppy when filled with hot engine oil). Although I suspect it would be tricky to get flat.

Alternatively, if the surface is not important (mine have mirrors on the locker doors covering them entirely) and they're not too badly bent, you could shove it through a planer and live with the curvature on the inside (slowly - the stuff is only machinable if you stay below the melting point, else it turns into horrid gunk that is tricky to clean off your tools).
Don't think it is HDPE and the outer surface is textured so planing down would not work. If I were replacing them I would go for a laminate faced ply from Robbins edged with mouldings as I did on my old boat. It really lifts the appearance of the heads compartment which looks bland with the plain white doors. Also removed the full door mirror and replaced it with a smaller round one.

landes_h

• Able Seaman
  • Blue sky sailor
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
  • Boat Year: 2003
« Reply #9 on: October 28 2015, 15:11 »
Thanks all, I've sent Vetus an email.

Poly-Wood

Nigel,
I think you meant "Bollywood"  >:D >:D :)) :))  BS. 
The material you mean is the same used on the white cutting boards, generally known as nylon. I think it's either Polyamid (PA) or Polyethylen (PE-300). All usually available form online plastic sheet dealers (Thermoplast).
I am sure you'll find an online shop in UK.
If the door is warped you may apply some weights to some corner and put it in warm environment or use a blow dryer to get it back to original shape.
I want to buy some of this material to replace my broken cockpit table. One of my next projects.
Greetings
Horst
Bavaria 38 / 2003 berth Portoroz, Slowenia