Author Topic: Starlings! (Sturnus vulgaris)  (Read 5356 times)

Impavidus

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria C 37
  • Boat Year: 2015
Starlings! (Sturnus vulgaris)
« on: October 03 2015, 21:01 »
Well named (Sturnus vulgaris) But a better name and genius would be Shite Hawk Maxumis! I have just spent 5 hours cleaning Impavidus only a week after we did the same last weekend. Port Solent is plagued at this time of year by the little B**$_+DS! We have tried CDs on the topping lift, Polly bags, ribbon strips even popping off a few .22 rounds. A friend who is a game keeper has suggested hanging a few dead Starlings at the mast head.
Anyone got any good ideas how to keep then roosting on my mast and rig? 

Best regards.

Ant.
Visit our YouTube channel here:  https://www.youtube.com/c/SVImpavidusAntCidSailing

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
Re: Starlings! (Sturnus vulgaris)
« Reply #1 on: October 03 2015, 23:07 »
Be careful what you say Ant, it's my understanding that all birds in the UK are now protected insofar as amateur "game keepers" are concerned, though believe me I do understand the frustration when faced with these flying guano spreaders. What's even worse is when people actively feed them during the months outside of the winter season when the pests are able to forage for and find sufficient food for themselves. Here in North Wales as well as in some other parts of the UK the gulls have become quite aggressive because they expect to be fed and they have little or no fear of humans. Oh, and by casual observation I'd say that their turds are considerably bigger than those of starlings.

dawntreader

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria37
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #2 on: October 04 2015, 08:42 »
Try rubber snakes that you get from toy shops. Seem to keep the gulls off us when moored  ;)

BillGiles

• Second Mate
« Reply #3 on: October 04 2015, 10:00 »
You should see the muck from the geese or ducks in Chichester Marina - oh my!

MarkTheBike

• Old Salt
  • 34/2001 2cab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 34
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #4 on: October 04 2015, 18:53 »
Yep, same with the gulls in Sutton Harbour, right next to Plymouth Fish Market! And the tourists feeding them chips throughout the summer (damn them). I like the idea of the snakes, perhaps strung up a signals halyard? They'll wriggle but will it be realistic enough? Any tips for most effective method?
ATB

Mark

tckearney

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: B42
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #5 on: October 04 2015, 19:28 »
Yes same here on west coast of Scotland,  but the mess is not from them landing on the rigging it is all over the boat.  Maybe a shotgun is the answer.

dawntreader

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria37
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #6 on: October 05 2015, 08:10 »
...... I like the idea of the snakes, perhaps strung up a signals halyard? They'll wriggle but will it be realistic enough? Any tips for most effective method?

I just tape them so they can move a little. I put them on the mainsail bag, the cockpit canopy and near the anchor locker. Boats near me are used by the gulls to open any shells/crabs they find - they didn't do it on mine  ;)

I got mine on ebay: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DUMMY-SNAKE-RUBBER-TOY-FAKE-SNAKE-PARTY-SCARY-PRANK-GAMES-SNAKE-CHILDREN-FUNNY-/251778206480?hash=item3a9f268b10

MarkTheBike

• Old Salt
  • 34/2001 2cab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 34
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #7 on: October 05 2015, 10:29 »
I got mine on ebay:

Love it! Ordered... thanks for the info, Dawntreader.
ATB

Mark

Aquila

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36 Avantgarde
  • Boat Year: 2012
« Reply #8 on: October 05 2015, 18:37 »
Amazing what you learn on this forum, thank you

Impavidus

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria C 37
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #9 on: October 08 2015, 19:41 »
Many thanks for the replies! I am off to the snake shop. Interestngly I heard that Port Solent (and some other marinas) have a man with a Hawk who pops in a couple of times a week. I have never seen him, perhaps I should ask?
When I was a kid on the farm we used to have propane cannon bird scarers, I wonder if the residents of PS would mind me settng on up for a few hours this time of year...........................

Ant
Visit our YouTube channel here:  https://www.youtube.com/c/SVImpavidusAntCidSailing