Author Topic: Replacement of teak deck  (Read 13225 times)

MikeGowland

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 1999
Replacement of teak deck
« on: April 06 2012, 12:39 »
I have a 1999 Bavaria Ocean 38 with teak decks. I
I've had several problems with small parts of the deck lifting and in the harsh winters we are having this water freezes with the result more decking lifts. Has anyone replaced there's with a composite material like Tek Deck or similar.

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
Re: Replacement of teak deck
« Reply #1 on: April 06 2012, 13:07 »
Complete replacement is hugely expensive whatever material you use, and there is not a lot of difference between the better fake finishes and the real stuff. You are looking at £6-7k materials and at least as much again in labour to remove the old stuff, make good and lay the new. So could be the thick end of £15k. So, keep patching as long as you can. Obviously you can reduce cost by doing some of it yourself, but it is a back breaking and time consuming job. One alternative that is becoming more popular as the cost is becoming such a large proportion of the value of boats, is to strip the old stuff off make good with epoxy and then apply a coating such as Kiwigrip, or even just deck paint. Mujch more servicable and may not affect the value  so much.

njsail

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #2 on: April 08 2012, 14:44 »
I had to fix a couple  teak planks that were lifting when we bought the boat (about a 1' x 2' area).  It wasn't that hard to epoxy them back down, re-caulk and sand them clean.  Our boat was on sticks for a few years uncovered and assume it happened then.  I invested in a good winter cover and figure that helped save me some of the hassles with learning where water was getting under the boards.  I can't imagine all the snow and ice that would lay on the teak can do any good.  Of course maintaining the teak caulking is the first and foremost solution to avoiding lifting boards regardless of cover. 

I received a quote of over $1000 to fix that 1'x2' section.  I laughed and said thank you but no thanks.  A quick trip to the marine store and some epoxy and caulking later I was learning how to repair teak.  I still have to re-caulk a lot of teak this season but making progress.

Spotlight

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38H
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #3 on: August 03 2012, 22:06 »
I had to replace the whole deck. Job done in Italy at around 7,500 ? with a much better teak, in 2009. The original one is a thin layer of teak glued onto a marine wood sandwich. I payed for it a lot (6,000 ? in 2000) and it revealed itself being a very, very bad work. I received no assistance from Bavaria. Very deceived about that.

MikeGowland

• Swab
« Reply #4 on: August 05 2012, 19:22 »
Hi

I posted the original question and I've just had the teak decks replaced with Permateek, great job, feels and looks like teak, doesn't discolour all for around £7500

damsis44

• Swab
  • Boat Model: bavaria 44
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #5 on: September 07 2012, 10:40 »
Hi

I posted the original question and I've just had the teak decks replaced with Permateek, great job, feels and looks like teak, doesn't discolour all for around £7500

Was this done by the company supplying Permateek, a local craftsman or did you do it yourself? It sounds like a very good price if it was a professional job.

njsail

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #6 on: September 07 2012, 11:52 »
Our 2001 Bavaria 40 Ocean had the same problem with some lifting teak.  It's glued on the deck and not a big deal to epoxy and caulk back on.  Doing it myself saved a lot of money.  I was quoted about $1000 for a 2 foot section of lifting teak. The key was to use thick epoxy and heavy weights.  A little shaving and sanding and I had the deck back to new.  You can't even notice where I fixed it.    Out boat was on sticks for a few years prior to us purchasing it and I assume that's when it happened.   I purchased a new winter cover and don't expect the freeze/lift problem any more.  Don't waste money on a new teak deck if you don't have to. 

Good luck. 

MikeGowland

• Swab
« Reply #7 on: September 12 2012, 19:09 »
Sorry for the delay in responding but the Permateek was done by the agent in Holland. Just so happens that the guy works out of Volendam where I moored in the marina so really convenient. Great job and of course workmanship is up to the usual high standards expected in Holland, if there's anything wrong I'll just take it back and he'll fix it.

damsis44

• Swab
  • Boat Model: bavaria 44
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #8 on: September 14 2012, 21:50 »
Thanks Mike, sounds an excellent price. I was speaking to a guy in our marina who paid the thick end of £15k for a deck for a Najad 37-ish, cracking job but for that price, the guy had to take all his own fittings off to save on labour costs. Will keep your info in mind for future use.
Cheers