Author Topic: B36 fridge access  (Read 2634 times)

Lyra

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: B36
  • Boat Year: 2004
B36 fridge access
« on: September 19 2015, 15:19 »
I see that the issue of fridges in other models came  up recently so will ask also for my model - b36 2004.
can you access the fridge to improve insulation around?
While the compressor is easily accessed I could not find a way to dismantle at least one cover to get access to the box.
S/Y Lyra
B36 / 2004

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
Re: B36 fridge access
« Reply #1 on: September 19 2015, 23:55 »
As mentioned in another posting on the same subject, you could drill holes through the existing plastic fridge lining from the inside of the fridge compartment and into the otherwise inaccessible space between it and the structure forming the outer part the cupboard spaces. Then pump expanding foam through those holes, and finally seal the drilled plastic with white blanking plugs of the type provided by self assembly furniture manufacturers for covering over unused holes or screw heads etc. You might need to be careful not to overdo things, avoiding squirting too much expanding foam through those holes, as you don't want the pressure from the expanding foam to do damage to the furniture as a result of over pressure from the foam.

Lyra

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: B36
  • Boat Year: 2004
« Reply #2 on: September 21 2015, 05:59 »
Thanks.
So I guess the answer is - no way to take off any cover.
S/Y Lyra
B36 / 2004

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #3 on: September 21 2015, 08:44 »
I haven't found a way so far that would not risk damage. I suppose you could drill holes through the woodwork behind the settee cushions to permit insertion of the expanding foam, and likewise behind the gas cooker, then plug using wooden dowels, smooth and carefully colour match with some kind of coating. A contortionist with a long delivery tube for the foam might be able to reach through the large hole in the woodwork under the settee where the water pipes run through in order to reach and direct the foam to where you want it to go !!!